No announcement yet.

Bucs sign Cato June

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That's what I hope for from him, some big plays and touchdowns, but he is not a steady starting OLB. He needs to be on the field on passing downs though.

sig by BoneKrusher

Comment

Originally posted by Booger View Post
      Damn, tough to respond to that one. McAllister gives the Bucs a lot of problems, none of which June will improve on.
      I was saying it as a joke more than anything. :)
      The whole world loves neophyte athletic tight end Jimmy Graham from Miami with the 95th pick. "Best pick in the draft,'' one AFC coach told me. "Give him time, and in that offense, he'll be better than [Jeremy] Shockey by the start of next year.''

“We know that no matter the adversity, be it the lockout, be it the suspension or be it a hurricane, our men will pull together and defend the honor of this city. We’ve shown we’ve been able to do that.” - Jabari Greer

Comment

The rumors of him being in a Giants uniform sent chills down my spine. Im so happy he's anywhere but our team. Whew, that was close. We almost took part in some Cover 2 suckdom.

So far, the fact that Reese isn't doing a damn thing in FA is really starting to win me over. So far an A+ goes to our first year GM. This guy gets it.

As for the Bucs, dont discount Brooks moving to SAM. He played some SAM for them just this past year, and is slowing down. I don't think you sign Cato June to play SS. He's either at WILL or at SAM. I see them moving Brooks over and playing Cato at WILL.

Don't know how I feel about the signing. Its ok if its for cheap, but they still need some LBs in the draft.

Comment

Originally posted by bigbluedefense View Post
          We almost took part in some Cover 2 suckdom.
          Yeh, because the Cover 2 defense sure didn't work for the Colts or Bears last year.

Comment

Originally posted by 24cadillac24 View Post
            Yeh, because the Cover 2 defense sure didn't work for the Colts or Bears last year.
            For 85% of the year, the Colts defense was embarrassing to say the least. And Chicago's defense wasn't exactly dominant in the 2nd half of the season, or the playoffs either.

Comment

For 85% of the year, the Colts defense was embarrassing to say the least. And Chicago's defense wasn't exactly dominant in the 2nd half of the season, or the playoffs either.
              Both Superbowl teams ran the Cover 2 system so to say it is "suckdom " is a vast overstatement on your part.

Comment

Originally posted by 24cadillac24 View Post
                Both Superbowl teams ran the Cover 2 system so to say it is "suckdom " is a vast overstatement on your part.
                I can agree with that. Ive made it known that Im not a fan of the Cover 2/Tampa 2 scheme at all. So I sometimes generalize unfairly.

Ive just never seen a truely dominant Cover 2 defense. Only the 2001 Bucs had a dominant Cover 2. The rest of the Cover 2 teams were not that great quite honestly. Even these current Bears. Urlacher lost a lot of points in my eyes after Jeff Saturday destroyed him in the SB. 200 yards rushing is unexceptable if you want to take shots at the 85 Bears team the way Urlacher did. Especially when most of those 200 yards were right at you.

Comment

The June kids always know what they are getting for Christmas because daddy can't wrap anything up.

That is correct comahan
                  I ******* LOVE YOU DG
                  <3 dg

Comment

25% of the Bucs schedule is against Michael Vick and Reggie Bush. June's speed is needed.

Comment

If you're going to copy/paste Football Outsiders' material, you should at least give credit.

Originally posted by [url=http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070317/SPORTS03/70317003/1100]Indystar[/url]
                      “Cato really wanted to stay there [Indianapolis] and I know how badly they [Colts] wanted him,’’ Mackler said. “It just didn’t work out.’’
                      Agents are funny people.

June was instrumental in the Colts winning their first Super Bowl championship in 36 years.
                      June was much more instrumental in Mo Drew breaking runs of 20+ yards.
                      Pugnacity, testosterone, truculence, and belligerence.

Comment

It will be interesting where he plays. Derrick Brooks is their current WLB and Cato June is certainly not fitted to play SAM backer. Wonder if they'll move Brooks to SAM.

Comment

When Tampa 2 teams lose their best DT and S, they tend to fall off a bit. For the Colts, they didn't have Simon at all, and Sanders missed most of the season, and for the Bears, the slide in performance of their defense corrolates perfectly with the losses of Mike Brown (when their run defense started to fall off) and Tommie Harris (when they started giving up points in bunches). You don't like the scheme and that's fine, but you're criticizing it a bit unfairly here.

The problem arises when people use statistics like a drunk uses a lamp post: for support instead of illumination.

If luck is where preparation meets opportunity, then clutch is where failure meets luck.

<Add1ct> setting myself on fire can't be that hard
                          <Add1ct> but tackling a mosquito might prove a challenge

Comment

My only beef with the Cover 2 is how it is a bend but don't break defense, but Peyton Manning seems to just tear apart the Cover 2 with ease. Without the right players (Bucs 06), the Cover 2 doesn't get you enough big plays defensively.

sig by BoneKrusher

Comment

Originally posted by Dam8610 View Post
                              When Tampa 2 teams lose their best DT and S, they tend to fall off a bit. For the Colts, they didn't have Simon at all, and Sanders missed most of the season, and for the Bears, the slide in performance of their defense corrolates perfectly with the losses of Mike Brown (when their run defense started to fall off) and Tommie Harris (when they started giving up points in bunches). You don't like the scheme and that's fine, but you're criticizing it a bit unfairly here.
                              I don't want to turn this thread into a Cover 2 debate. And I'll cede the point that at times I can be unfair in my evaluation of the scheme.

But the issue bolded is a big problem for me scheme wise. The Cover 2 relies on the SS to stop the run the way normal defenses rely on ILBs. Now thats fine and dandy for one game, but over a 16 week season + playoffs, its awfully demanding of an undersized SS to hold up all season under these conditions. And thats why you see the SS get injured often, and Cover 2 teams taper off at the end of the season, when you want to be at your best.

I understand injuries can't be expected and are part of the game, but this scheme makes the SS much more susceptible to being injured, and thus I don't know if its a viable excuse. It should almost be expected, unless you have a John Lynch type of SS who is thick enough to handle the burden. But then, your pass coverage suffers, so its a double edged sword. The Cover 2 scheme is probably at its best if theres solid depth at SS. I think its essential to have 2 starting caliber strong safeties in this scheme if you don't want to see production taper off at the end of the season. A rotation would be ideal, keeping both fresh for the playoffs.
                              Last edited by bigbluedefense; 03-17-2007, 07:08 PM. Reason: Spelling errors

Comment

I don't want to turn this thread into a Cover 2 debate. And I'll cede the point that at times I can be unfair in my evaluation of the scheme.

But the issue bolded is a big problem for me scheme wise. The Cover 2 relies on the SS to stop the run the way normal defenses rely on ILBs. Now thats fine and dandy for one game, but over a 16 week season + playoffs, its awfully demanding of an undersized SS to hold up all season under these conditions. And thats why you see the SS get injured often, and Cover 2 teams taper off at the end of the season, when you want to be at your best.

I understand injuries can't be expected and are part of the game, but this scheme makes the SS much more susceptible to being injured, and thus I don't know if its a viable excuse. It should almost be expected, unless you have a John Lynch type of SS who is thick enough to handle the burden. But then, your pass coverage suffers, so its a double edged sword. The Cover 2 scheme is probably at its best if theres solid depth at SS. I think its essential to have 2 starting caliber strong safeties in this scheme if you don't want to see production taper off at the end of the season. A rotation would be ideal, keeping both fresh for the playoffs.
                                You make a valid point about safety depth being important to a Tampa 2 team, but in the same vein, LB depth is important to a team that relies on its LBs to be the playmakers of the defense. It's always tough to replace a good-great player at a position of key importance in any scheme. That said, your idea of a rotation intrigues me. It leads me to wonder even more what the Colts would have done had they had Sanders, Bethea, and Doss all healthy for the entire season. Perhaps a rotation would be for the best if a team has the talent and depth at the position to pull it off.

The problem arises when people use statistics like a drunk uses a lamp post: for support instead of illumination.

If luck is where preparation meets opportunity, then clutch is where failure meets luck.

<Add1ct> setting myself on fire can't be that hard
                                <Add1ct> but tackling a mosquito might prove a challenge

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information