What does everyone think of Troy Smith?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by wonderbredd24 View Post
    You know you're not going in the right direction when you have Sniper defending Ohio State.

Troy threw for 2500 yards and 30 TDs his Heisman season with a completion percentage of 65.3% and 8.17 yards per attempt.
    Statistics. Quinn was the better pure quarterback. Smith was asked to make far fewer(and easier) reads and be much more a game manager. Quinn made the likes of Maurice Stovall and Rhema McKnight look like competent receivers along with playing with a crap offensive line. Quinn had to win games, Smith just had to not lose them, with the exception of the Michigan game that year where he played fantastic. Good player, but if you're asking me to chose one all other things equal, I'll go with Quinn every time. Tyrod Taylor is doing exactly what did his entire career without nearly as much fan fare.

R.I.P. Junior Seau

Comment

Originally posted by 49ersfan_87 View Post
      What does everyone think of Troy Smith?
      I think he'll have the worst game of his career on sunday :)

Mike Will & V-Jax

Comment

Originally posted by ElectricEye View Post
        Statistics. Quinn was the better pure quarterback. Smith was asked to make far fewer(and easier) reads and be much more a game manager. Quinn made the likes of Maurice Stovall and Rhema McKnight look like competent receivers along with playing with a crap offensive line. Quinn had to win games, Smith just had to not lose them, with the exception of the Michigan game that year where he played fantastic. Good player, but if you're asking me to chose one all other things equal, I'll go with Quinn every time. Tyrod Taylor is doing exactly what did his entire career without nearly as much fan fare.
        Name me Quinn's biggest win in college. Go!

Comment

Originally posted by Sniper View Post
          Name me Quinn's biggest win in college. Go!
          Almost beating USC. Does that have anything to do with him? Despite the fact AJ Hawk was porking his sister doesn't mean the Notre Dame defense had anyone worth a damn.

R.I.P. Junior Seau

Comment

Statistics. Quinn was the better pure quarterback. Smith was asked to make far fewer(and easier) reads and be much more a game manager. Quinn made the likes of Maurice Stovall and Rhema McKnight look like competent receivers along with playing with a crap offensive line. Quinn had to win games, .
            Maybe it was the WRs/TE and their poor schedule that made Brady Quinn look good. Brady Quinn beat no team that was ranked

Comment

I don't care about Troy Smith vs. Brady Quinn. I'd take Quinn too. Where I take issue is the idea that Troy Smith only threw when the running game was not working, which is just insane. That was about as pass happy as Jim Tressel is gonna get.

Quinn did have a receiver by the name of Jeff something... but he was probably just a bum too since he's a pitcher. And a tight end... John Carlson? 2nd round pick tight ends are usually no good either.

Comment

Almost beating USC. Does that have anything to do with him? Despite the fact AJ Hawk was porking his sister doesn't mean the Notre Dame defense had anyone worth a damn.
                So it's ND's defense's fault that Quinn threw three interceptions (one brought back to the house, one brought back to the ND 20-ish) and had a fumble where he wasn't touched by a UM defender brought back to the house? Ok. It's the defense's fault that he completed less than 50 percent of his passes against LSU and USC? Not sure I buy that. It's easy to sling a million touchdowns against Air Force and Purdue. His stats against the three BCS-caliber teams he played that year were...

61-128, 47.6%, 656 yards, 8 TD, 5 INT. Not exactly awe-inspiring.

I was a big Quinn believer as a prospect, but to claim that he was a better college player than Troy Smith is ludicrous.

Comment

Originally posted by Sniper View Post
                  So it's ND's defense's fault that Quinn threw three interceptions (one brought back to the house, one brought back to the ND 20-ish) and had a fumble where he wasn't touched by a UM defender brought back to the house? Ok. It's the defense's fault that he completed less than 50 percent of his passes against LSU and USC? Not sure I buy that. It's easy to sling a million touchdowns against Air Force and Purdue. His stats against the three BCS-caliber teams he played that year were...

61-128, 47.6%, 656 yards, 8 TD, 5 INT. Not exactly awe-inspiring.

I was a big Quinn believer as a prospect, but to claim that he was a better college player than Troy Smith is ludicrous.
                  I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree. Quinn was a far more effective passer when everything was created equally. Had Smith beat by both arm strength and accuracy. Charlie Weis did some real stupid **** gameplan wise and with his playcalling that put Notre Dame in horrible positions to both win and be effective in football games(Although he also did some real good things in coaching Quinn). The talent level in 2006 at Notre Dame was also probably lower than it is right now. Jeff Samardzija was a nice receiver to have and John Carlson pretty decent too(although vastly underutilized for the most part).

I'm not the only one who thought that too. Quinn won both the Maxwell and the Unitas awards that year. Smith might have been the more valuable player in 2006, but if you were to tell me to pick between the two if I were starting a program, I would pick Quinn every time.

R.I.P. Junior Seau

Comment

Troy Smith played like a franchise quarterback on Sunday. I was really excited to see what he can bring to the table, but at the same time I know he's only had two good games, both against teams that aren't exactly elite. Not to mention how many times have we seen guys like Billy Volek, Damon Huard, Matt Moore, Todd Collins, and Shaun Hill perform well down the stretch of a season, only to fall flat on their face the following year?

My worst fear is Troy Smith playing great for the rest of the season, but not well enough for the 49ers to make the playoffs. But due to the late surge momentum...Troy Smith will be handed the job and Mike Singletary will remain the head coach. Not to mention some guys who don't deserve to be back, will be back. This exact scenario has happened the last two years. Once with Shaun Hill being giving the starting job and then Alex Smith the following season. Both fell flat on their faces after having late season surges the following year.

"Every light must fade, every heart return to darkness!"
                    -San Francisco 49ers: Five Time Super Bowl Champions-
                    Originally posted by Borat
                    Oh, my bad. Didn't realize SWDC was the pinnacle of class and grace.

Comment

Originally posted by bigbluedefense View Post
                      I liked him coming out *shrug*. But I don't view him as a franchise qb.

Proceed with Troy at your own risk.
                      This.

Not sure what's so special about him...He's a "winner" and obviously a smart and likable guy...but physically I don't believe he's talented enough to be a franchise QB.

Comment

Troy Smith was in no way better than Brady Quinn in college. He was on a better team, sure, but he played in a spread offense and only threw when the run wasn't working.
                        I think we're seeing in the NFL the same things that made Troy a better player than Brady. Brady can't get within 5 yards of a receiver downfield. He was in Charlie Weis' QB-friendly offense that had Jimmy Clausen put up ridiculously good numbers as well. Troy took over big games with his arm and won them numerous times at Ohio State. And while the Buckeyes did spread the field several times in 2005 and 2006 (wouldn't you play 4 and 5 WRs if you had Santonio Holmes, Ted Ginn, Anthony Gonzalez, Brian Robiskie, Brian Hartline, and Roy Hall?) they used the fullback at least 50% of the time and Smith took snaps from center more than half of the plays.

I can see why you or anyone would say Brady was better than Troy coming out, that's one of the reasons why Troy was a late round pick and Brady was a 1st round pick.....however I think looking at how things are right now and seeing what Quinn didn't do and Smith did do in college it's safe to say Troy was better. He did afterall win the heisman and put up awesome stats. It's not exactly easy to put up great passing stats for a conservative coach like Tressel who doesn't even have an offensive coordinator than it is for some schools either.
                        Last edited by keylime_5; 11-16-2010, 06:45 PM.

Comment

I think BigDawg had a really interesting quote about how if Troy Smith was 4 inches taller and 20 lbs heavier, he would have had a 60 million dollar check hanging on his wall that draft instead of Jamarcus Russell. I was a big believer in Smith, its one of the reasons I was so against the Flacco selection at first. Good to see him finally succeeding, I hope he tears it up in San Fran.
                          Originally posted by Mr. Goosemahn
                          The APS is strong in this one.
                          Originally posted by killxswitch
                          Tears for Fears is better than whatever it is you happen to be thinking about right now.

Comment

Originally posted by A Perfect Score View Post
                            I think BigDawg had a really interesting quote about how if Troy Smith was 4 inches taller and 20 lbs heavier, he would have had a 60 million dollar check hanging on his wall that draft instead of Jamarcus Russell. I was a big believer in Smith, its one of the reasons I was so against the Flacco selection at first. Good to see him finally succeeding, I hope he tears it up in San Fran.
                            He would've been a decently high draft pick if he didn't completely **** it all up going into the national title game.

Troy Smith hit the banquet circuit hard and was out of shape for the game raising questions about his dedication to the game and to his team before the biggest game of his life. People were talking about him in the 2nd round before that... then he fell to the 6th.

On top of that, I know people who saw Troy Smith and Ted Ginn in the offseason when he was with the Ravens and Ginn with the Dolphins. One of them looked like a football player and it was not Troy Smith. Again, he had let himself get out of shape and put on a bunch of weight.

If Troy Smith, like Mike Williams in Seattle, has decided to grow up and take football seriously, who knows how far he can go?

Comment

I turned on the 49ers game sunday and saw Troy and thought he looked slimmer than he ever did at Ohio State. Maybe it was the fact that he changed his number from double digits (10) to single digits (1) that made the optical illusion, but he doesn't look as stocky as he did before.

Comment

Troy Smith was a God in college, Brady Quinn ... :/

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information