Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who are the best 3-4 DE's in the game today?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SenorGato View Post
    Stroud would dominate the position if they wanted to or were asked to...
    I hope for the love of all that is holy you are not talking about Marcus Stroud... He has been borderline completely useless playing DE for the Bills this year in there 3-4 sets, and that might be a generous assessment...
    "It must be contract year!"

Deion Sanders

Comment

I only counted the teams that have run the 3-4 regularly over the last few years, NOT drastic hybrids or the occasional 3-man front. I added the exceptions at the end.

1. Aaron Smith - Pittsburgh Steelers
      2. Haloti Ngata - Baltimore Ravens
      3. Justin Smith - San Francisco 49ers
      4. Darnell Dockett - Arizona Cardinals
      5. Ty Warren - New England Patriots
      6. Cullen Jenkins - Green Bay Packers
      7. Kendall Langford - Miami Dolphins
      8. Glenn Dorsey - Kansas City Chiefs
      9. Randy Starks - Miami Dolphins
      10. Jacques Cesaire - San Diego Chargers

* Richard Seymour - Oakland Raiders - Perhaps the best 3-4 DE of All-Time. He's, at minimum, the "prototype" for the modern era.

* Dwan Edwards - Buffalo Bills - He would likely be on this list if the Bills hadn't switched back to the 4-3.

Comment

Originally posted by lowlife View Post
        What I've seen of Kyle Williams is pretty impressive in Buffalo's terrible hybrid scheme.
        Kyle Williams is terribly under rated, he is having a great year playing out of position in a scheme that does not suit his talents. I think he would be an outstanding 3-4 DE, as it is he is doing a fantastic job as a NT currently, all things considered. He is not a dominate run stopper as a 3-4 NT, but is a true gamer, who should be in the pro-bowl this year.

Originally posted by D-Unit View Post
        Take Haloti out of the equation.

Originally posted by K Train View Post
        i dont really count ngata as a 34DE since he was such a monster NT/5 tech prospect and is crushing the world no matter where he lines up.
        Why would Ngata not be in the conversation/equation, and/or not count? I dont understand why not, I was under the impression that so far this season most of his time is spent not playing the nose, based on having seen several ravens games in which I primarily noticed him playing DE... I would list him as the best 3-4 DE in the game right now.
        "It must be contract year!"

Deion Sanders

Comment

Originally posted by phlysac View Post
          I only counted the teams that have run the 3-4 regularly over the last few years, NOT drastic hybrids or the occasional 3-man front. I added the exceptions at the end.

1. Aaron Smith - Pittsburgh Steelers
          2. Haloti Ngata - Baltimore Ravens
          3. Justin Smith - San Francisco 49ers
          4. Darnell Dockett - Arizona Cardinals
          5. Ty Warren - New England Patriots
          6. Cullen Jenkins - Green Bay Packers
          7. Kendall Langford - Miami Dolphins
          8. Glenn Dorsey - Kansas City Chiefs
          9. Randy Starks - Miami Dolphins
          10. Jacques Cesaire - San Diego Chargers

* Richard Seymour - Oakland Raiders - Perhaps the best 3-4 DE of All-Time. He's, at minimum, the "prototype" for the modern era.

* Dwan Edwards - Buffalo Bills - He would likely be on this list if the Bills hadn't switched back to the 4-3.
          Thanks. This is the most complete list that I have seen.

1. Aaron Smith
          2. Haloti Ngata
          3. Justin Smith
          4. Darnell Dockett
          5. Ty Warren
          6. Cullen Jenkins
          7. Kendall Langford
          8. Glenn Dorsey
          9. Randy Starks
          10. Jacques Cesaire

Now look at this list of prospective 3-4 DEs.

Marcel Dareus
          Adrian Clayborn
          Nick Fairley
          Cameron Jordan
          Allen Bailey
          Cameron Heyward
          Stephen Paea
          Christian Ballard
          Jared Crick
          Muhammad Wilkerson
          Marvin Austin
          Jarvis Jenkins

How big of a shift do you think we'll see in that original list of 10?

Comment

Originally posted by wogitalia View Post
            I'd still love to see Kevin Williams as a DE in a 3-4.
            didnt you guys play the 3-4 like five years ago?

Comment

Originally posted by MetSox17 View Post
              i was realllllllllllly high when i wrote that lmao...you get the point though
              E]

Comment

Originally posted by Poz51 View Post

Why would Ngata not be in the conversation/equation, and/or not count? I dont understand why not, I was under the impression that so far this season most of his time is spent not playing the nose, based on having seen several ravens games in which I primarily noticed him playing DE... I would list him as the best 3-4 DE in the game right now.
                i just think hes the unquestioned best dlineman in the game right now no matter where he lines up....not the mention the ravens seem to play alot of 43 and move him all over. ngata and suh are two of my favorite dline players ever, glad to see them both crushing the world
                E]

Comment

Ngata does play most of his snaps at the five technique (both sides of the line) so he should be included. It's where he's played most of the snaps in his career as well, I'd really like to see the argument for why he shouldn't be considered a 5-technique.

Comment

Ngata really only plays the nose in obvious pass rush situations when Terrence Cody and Kelly Gregg shouldn't be on the field. He gets a nice interior push and allows guys like Suggs to match up individually on the outside. From what I've seen this season, Ngata is head and shoulders above anyone else in the league right now when it comes to 5 tech play. In fact, he might be the most dominant defensive lineman regardless of scheme. He's been near unstoppable this season.

Justin Smith, Aaron Smith, Richard Seymour, Randy Starks, and Darnell Dockett would round out the elite group I'd imagine. Starks was amazing last year, but from what I understand and what I've seen he's fallen off a bit this year.
                    Originally posted by Mr. Goosemahn
                    The APS is strong in this one.
                    Originally posted by killxswitch
                    Tears for Fears is better than whatever it is you happen to be thinking about right now.

Comment

Originally posted by the dude View Post
                      didnt you guys play the 3-4 like five years ago?
                      No. 10 characters.

Bonekrusher.

Originally posted by JordanTaber
                      Football...it's rocket surgery now, folks.

Comment

The Dolphins DEs with Starks and Langford is the envy of the division IMO. I really like those two guys...they signed Starks for pennies.

Comment

I hope for the love of all that is holy you are not talking about Marcus Stroud... He has been borderline completely useless playing DE for the Bills this year in there 3-4 sets, and that might be a generous assessment...
                          I meant in his youthful days...Position was made for guys like him tbh...The pure size, length, and athleticism is what the position takes advantage of, and it's why guys like Seymour and Smith have been so successful...Nowadays he's not much of a mover or shaker but back even 6-7 years ago he and Henderson were the Williams Brothers of the day.

Edit: Can't believe I forgot about Warren. He's at the top of the 2nd tier.
                          Last edited by SenorGato; 11-16-2010, 03:29 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by A Perfect Score View Post
                            Starks was amazing last year, but from what I understand and what I've seen he's fallen off a bit this year.
                            Its not so much that he's fallen off. The coaching staff made him bulk up and he started the year at NT but with Odrick getting hurt and Paul Soliai emerging as a much better NT than the coaching staff expected, they moved him back over to DE. He has lost some of the quickness but he's still very stout against the run. He's been dropping some of the weight he gained and he's regaining his previous form. I expect him to be back in the elite group by the end of the season.

sig by BoneKrusher

Comment

Originally posted by prock View Post
                              No. 10 characters.
                              Didnt you have Ted Cotrell? Im pretty sure i got a game on dvd somewhere and you where using the 3-4 as base D
                              Last edited by the dude; 11-16-2010, 05:19 PM.

Comment

Can everyone finally agree with me now that Aaron Smith is the most important player on Pitt's defense?

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information