Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Marty Mornhinweg is the next great NFL coach...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Marty Mornhinweg is the next great NFL coach...

    according to this:

    http://insider.espn....fid%3d47976661.

    A few years ago ESPN's Seth Wickersham wrote this interesting little piece. He basically looked at all the HCs in the leaugue, gathered a load of numbers from multiple variables, and came to the conclusion that Mornhinweg just might be the best HC candidate in the league.

    The Criteria:

    Quote
    1. They were between ages 41 and 49.

    2. They had at least 11 years of NFL coaching experience.

    3. They were assistants on teams that won at least 50 games over a five-year span.

    4. They had only one previous NFL head-coaching gig.


    We've seen his offenses under Reid thrive, and his ability to incorporate a QB with Vick's type of abilities so easily and readily shows sign that they're building something masterful in Philadelphia.

    Also, he got to be the understudy/OC to Andy Reid. The only guy near Reid in understanding the QB position is McDaniels, and Reid's got decades more experience than him. That's got to be a pretty high class gig in the league to put on the resume after the failed HC bid.

    What're the chances he becomes a HC this offseason? What if he took Vick with him? How crazy would that work out in a ready to be awesome offense like San Fran or the Raiders?

  • #2
    He's been a head coach in the past and went 5-27. Maybe he didn't get a fair shake in Detroit, I don't remember. Being a good coordinator doesn't translate to being a good coach, a la Wade Phillips and many others.
    Just play me, baby

    Comment


    • #3
      Marty Morninwheg didn't take the ball to start an overtime. -1000000 points.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by BeerBaron View Post
        Marty Morninwheg didn't take the ball to start an overtime. -1000000 points.
        Haha seriously? That's just dumb.

        Sig by BoneKrusher

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by NotRickJames View Post
          He's been a head coach in the past and went 5-27. Maybe he didn't get a fair shake in Detroit, I don't remember. Being a good coordinator doesn't translate to being a good coach, a la Wade Phillips and many others.
          That's part of the article. He wouldn't be the first HC who sucked at his first HC'ing gig. I like him more than Phillips too...the league's looking for offense.

          Pretty much big doubts on him getting looks though?

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by SenorGato View Post
            That's part of the article. He wouldn't be the first HC who sucked at his first HC'ing gig. I like him more than Phillips too...the league's looking for offense.

            Pretty much big doubts on him getting looks though?
            Ya, I doubt he got a fair shake in Detroit. Probably a team that really lacked talent, they only gave him two years.

            With the offense in Philly, you have to think he'll get some looks as a HC - but I doubt he's the first choice of any GM. Guys like Frazier (he'll probably just replace Chilly), Gruden, Cowher and even Billick are likely higher than he is.
            Just play me, baby

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by BeerBaron View Post
              Marty Morninwheg didn't take the ball to start an overtime. -1000000 points.
              When and why?

              I am surprised and upset that I do not remember this.
              "I'm Ko Simpson!"

              - Ko Simpson

              Comment


              • #8
                Brian Billick is too much of a blowhard for my taste if I'm looking for a retread.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by gpngc View Post
                  When and why?

                  I am surprised and upset that I do not remember this.
                  Versus the Bears when they were playing in Champaign during Soldier Field Renovation. The Bears scored on the first drive.

                  Thanks to BoneKrusher Credit and Rep to him for the sig.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by dabears10 View Post
                    Versus the Bears when they were playing in Champaign during Soldier Field Renovation. The Bears scored on the first drive.
                    WHYYYYYYYYYYY and HOW?

                    Who was their QB? Was it swirling winds? Was the score like 6-6 at that point? Like wtf?????? Did they even have a good D?

                    Are we sure it wasn't a mistake by one of the players?
                    "I'm Ko Simpson!"

                    - Ko Simpson

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      The most notable moment in Mornhinweg's coaching history was his decision, coaching Detroit, to kick after winning an overtime coin toss. Mornhinweg felt that having the wind in his favor was more important for his Lions to win the game against the Chicago Bears, despite having as his kicker Jason Hanson, who hit a then-NCAA record 62-yard field goal in his college days at Washington State University. He elected to kick and on the Bears opening drive, Chicago scored a field goal. Mornhinweg's Lions went on to become 3-13 after that game, and prompted fed-up Lions fans to refer to the coach as "Marty Moron-weg". This decision was the runner up for the Terry Award to Dwayne Rudd's premature helmet toss celebration that cost his Cleveland Browns a victory.
                      From wikipedia.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by gpngc View Post
                        WHYYYYYYYYYYY and HOW?

                        Who was their QB? Was it swirling winds? Was the score like 6-6 at that point? Like wtf?????? Did they even have a good D?

                        Are we sure it wasn't a mistake by one of the players?
                        It wasn't a mistake. It was 17-17. There D was not very good. The winds were powerful but nothing more than like 20 MPH i believe.

                        Thanks to BoneKrusher Credit and Rep to him for the sig.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          lolzzzzzzzz awesome.

                          But yeah, I think any halfway-decent OC could be successful with the unbelievable offensive talent the Eagles have right now...
                          "I'm Ko Simpson!"

                          - Ko Simpson

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by gpngc View Post
                            WHYYYYYYYYYYY and HOW?

                            Who was their QB? Was it swirling winds? Was the score like 6-6 at that point? Like wtf?????? Did they even have a good D?

                            Are we sure it wasn't a mistake by one of the players?
                            there was crazy ass 30 mph winds, he wanted to take the wind



                            Sig by Me

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by SenorGato View Post
                              Brian Billick is too much of a blowhard for my taste if I'm looking for a retread.
                              Greatest word to describe Billick. I still like him though.


                              Originally posted by Scott Wright
                              Don't be a stranger. Jordyzzzz would want you to stick around. ;o)

                              Touch Fuzzy, Get Dizzy

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X

                              Debug Information