No announcement yet.

So Derek Anderson lost it...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How were the browns so good in 07-08 with this guy? I know Edwards made some ridiculous catches but still he has fallen so far from even being a serviceable QB.
    Sam Bradford will be a bust- 2/24/2010

Colts Cardinals Bulls Hurricanes

Comment

That one good, fluke year from Anderson and the attention that came from it happened for several reasons...

1. The Browns overachieved for the amount of talent they had on defense that year
      2. Had Kellen Winslow and Braylon Edwards to throw to
      3. Threw A LOT of deep balls to Braylon instead of being smart and checking down occasionally (should have had way more picks)
      4. The AFC North had a down year so the Browns got bumped up into playoff contention
      5. Teams hadn't yet caught on to his tendencies (back up QB syndrome)

I'm a believer that Anderson really hasn't "lost it", he never had it imo. He's never been more than a statue QB with a big arm who struggles to read coverage. He had one lucky year in an almost perfect situation to make himself some money, and it worked out for him. Once teams had enough game footage of him and studied him more he became extremely ineffective.

Comment

I remember when the Browns had Anderson and Quinn and thought they had 2 franchise QB's just didn't know who to pick. Good times.

Originally posted by Scott Wright
        I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Sanders Dreadlock View Post
          How were the browns so good in 07-08 with this guy? I know Edwards made some ridiculous catches but still he has fallen so far from even being a serviceable QB.
          Originally posted by will99890 View Post
          That one good, fluke year from Anderson and the attention that came from it happened for several reasons...

1. The Browns overachieved for the amount of talent they had on defense that year
          2. Had Kellen Winslow and Braylon Edwards to throw to
          3. Threw A LOT of deep balls to Braylon instead of being smart and checking down occasionally (should have had way more picks)
          4. The AFC North had a down year so the Browns got bumped up into playoff contention
          5. Teams hadn't yet caught on to his tendencies (back up QB syndrome)

I'm a believer that Anderson really hasn't "lost it", he never had it imo. He's never been more than a statue QB with a big arm who struggles to read coverage. He had one lucky year in an almost perfect situation to make himself some money, and it worked out for him. Once teams had enough game footage of him and studied him more he became extremely ineffective.
          Key, but truth is, DA played very well for a 12gm stretch that year. His quick release helped the Oline and his strong arm stretched the field opening up the running game for J.Lewis. The OC Chudzinski crafted an offense to take advantage of everyone's strengths remarkably well. Winslow, Jurevicius and Edwards stayed healthy and caught everything thrown they're way. DA was more consistent with his accuracy then he's ever been since. Even so, I cringed on every downfield pass that year because his reads could be entirely off. Browns had a very easy schedule. Oddly enough had Edwards not regressed and Jurevicius not gotten staphed in 08-09, DA remains a Brown and might be looked at differently right now-he started out 08-09 fairly well.

The guy is kind of an enigma because all the tools are there. He can throw on the run, cannon arm with the ability to make every throw-great size-is a competitor and reads coverage well enough, although he's badly fooled at times. Physically his only problem is ball placement-probably caused by bad feet/slow footwork. But his biggest problem is mental. My take is that DA is the kind of guy that plays best when no expectations are placed on him. He's the definition of a unreliable QB.
          Last edited by Brown Leader; 12-01-2010, 03:01 PM.

Originally posted by borg9
          Are you not entertained? Is this not why you are here?

Comment

Originally posted by LonghornsLegend View Post
            I remember when the Browns had Anderson and Quinn and thought they had 2 franchise QB's just didn't know who to pick. Good times.
            I think the best part were the comparisons to the Drew Brees/Philip Rivers situation...

Comment

Working...
            X

Debug Information