No announcement yet.

Rank Defensive Pos. Importance

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So cause you are more successful when drafting lineman and you have to draft more linebackers because: a. you have one more position to fill and b. because you cant strike gold on them, makes Linebackers more important?

Comment

I started to think about what positions are more important than what after what I said earlier today about wide receivers. I can only think of a few positions on EITHER side of the ball that I could honestly say are substantially more or less important than others.

In the 3-4, I'd say the most important position is nose tackle as that is what anchors the defense. After that, I just don't know. In truth, if you have a weakness anywhere, the opposing team is going to try to exploit it.

Unless they're the Jets against Baltimore.

Look at the Giants secondary last year with quality corners but the league's worst safeties.
      Look at the Jets top 3 ranked defense that hasn't had an elite pass rusher since John Abraham left.
      Look at what Phillip Rivers has done with the cast of receivers in San Diego. And then follow that up by looking at what has happened to the Colts with their injuries at WR.

I'll take that one step further.
      D'Brickashaw Ferguson a few years back was considered to be a near bust. He complained that it was because he had to cover for a terrible left guard. So the Jets replaced their lackluster left guard and right tackle with Alan Faneca and Damien Woody. What happened? The Jets OL went from being well below average to one of the best in the league almost overnight and suddenly Ferguson is a pro bowler.

Comment

Originally posted by *** Ork Wang View Post
        So cause you are more successful when drafting lineman and you have to draft more linebackers because: a. you have one more position to fill and b. because you cant strike gold on them, makes Linebackers more important?
        I was just saying that we invest more in LB's than in D-Linemen, countering this statement:

"As important as the LB position is for the Steelers defense, they never put that much of an investment into it."

And I wouldn't say we're more successful at drafting defensive linemen, at least not recently.

Props to clover_jeez!

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Goosemahn View Post
          I was just saying that we invest more in LB's than in D-Linemen, countering this statement:

"As important as the LB position is for the Steelers defense, they never put that much of an investment into it."

And I wouldn't say we're more successful at drafting defensive linemen, at least not recently.
          Casey Hampton is in his 10th season, all with the Steelers.

Aaron Smith is in his 12th season, all with the Steelers.

Has Brett Keisel ever played anywhere else?

Meanwhile, they recycle linebackers all the time

And this is a team that does not hand out much money in terms of keeping players in Pittsburgh, so it shows you just how much they think of Hampton and Smith.

Comment

4-3 team (not modeled after a certain team)

1. DT
            2. DT
            3. DE
            4. DE
            5. CB
            6. CB
            7. MLB
            8. FS
            9. SLB
            10. SS
            11. WLB

Comment

Originally posted by wonderbredd24 View Post
              Casey Hampton is in his 10th season, all with the Steelers.

Aaron Smith is in his 12th season, all with the Steelers.

Has Brett Keisel ever played anywhere else?

Meanwhile, they recycle linebackers all the time

And this is a team that does not hand out much money in terms of keeping players in Pittsburgh, so it shows you just how much they think of Hampton and Smith.
              I see what you're saying. For what it's worth, Harrison also got a huge deal last year.

Props to clover_jeez!

Comment

Working...
              X

Debug Information