No announcement yet.

Eric Mangini's model is pretty impressive

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I thought Mangini was fine in New York. That team required a ton of work, and he built that defense into serious business while building up personnel on the offensive side that could compliment what the defense was doing.

The Jets aren't even close to what they are now without Mangini. New York had some up and down seasons with Mangini because he never had a QB. He got fired because he didn't want Brett Favre back after that one season...Brett Favre left anyway.

Comment

All of this doesn't matter unless Colt McCoy is the real deal. He's looked good in various games this year, but I'm not 100% sold on him just yet.

It all comes down to who you have @ QB. The best offensive line in the game doesn't matter unless you have a top 15 QB.

Comment

Originally posted by ThePudge View Post
        Didn't see one sentence, I apologize. Not like I was rude at all. I just thought it was odd that you listed this "Mangini model" with pieces that Mangini had nothing to do with building.
        He used the non-mangini pieces to inflate his argument.

This is silly. A lot of teams build good offensive lines, it's not like Mangini invented this strategy.

Either way though Haden, Mack & the Hillis trade all look like genius moves. I don't know who was in charge of those decisions but they were definitely good ones.

Comment

Whats nice about Mangini is the players seem to like him here and that he's kinda eased off and relaxed since his first year. Alot of the bad things coaching wise that happen during a game is our play calling which is on Daboll and the ridiculously bad mental mistakes Delhomme commits (which was why McCoy was nice because you didn't have to worry about that.)

Comment

Also, don't overlook what he did with Kerry Rhodes, TJ Ward, and all of those other defensive backs... I remember Dwight Lowry bing pretty friggin good under Mangini. The guy is a genius with secondaries.

Comment

Originally posted by Jughead10 View Post
              Mangini went 9-7 and got fired.
              Lets just put this in perspective. The Jets were 8-3 before losing 4 out of their last 5 to I believe mostly all sub .500 teams (SF, Seattle, Miami, Denver). There is no question Favre's poor play had a lot to do with it, but the coaching was terrible.

Comment

Originally posted by AlexDown View Post
                Lets just put this in perspective. The Jets were 8-3 before losing 4 out of their last 5 to I believe mostly all sub .500 teams (SF, Seattle, Miami, Denver). There is no question Favre's poor play had a lot to do with it, but the coaching was terrible.
                Favre probably get pulled if Mangini had it his way though.

Comment

Originally posted by WinslowBodden View Post
                  Favre probably get pulled if Mangini had it his way though.
                  Exactly. Favre is the anti-QB in that coaching tree's philosophy.

Comment

Lord Favre did the majority of that damage. Literally threw games away.

R.I.P. Junior Seau

Comment

BTW the guy responsible for the Hillis, Brown, and Gocong acquisitions is Tom Heckert, the ex-Eagles GM who was hired by Mike Homlgren this offseason.

Heckert clearly had his fingerprints all over the Haden and Ward picks, too. Typical Heckert DBs - tough & physical even if they are lacking elite speed.

Comment

Originally posted by Morton View Post
                        BTW the guy responsible for the Hillis, Brown, and Gocong acquisitions is Tom Heckert, the ex-Eagles GM who was hired by Mike Homlgren this offseason.

Heckert clearly had his fingerprints all over the Haden and Ward picks, too. Typical Heckert DBs - tough & physical even if they are lacking elite speed.
                        I dont know what the knock on Haden's speed is all about because the guy is fast as hell and extremely quick and shifty... I would rather have him back on kick returns and punt returns currently over Cribbs... He hasn't been the same this year with his ankle injury.

Comment

Originally posted by Morton View Post

Heckert has been a good GM thus far, but while he actually acquired Hillis this year, Eric Mangini wanted him last year.

Comment

Originally posted by nepg View Post
                            I remember Dwight Lowry bing pretty friggin good under Mangini.
                            Lol, you mean the year Ty Law walked in off the street and took his job?

Comment

Originally posted by gsorace View Post
                              Lol, you mean the year Ty Law walked in off the street and took his job?
                              The Jets brought in Law because they were thin and he was familiar. The Jets were making a playoff run and while he was playing pretty solid ball, Lowery was a rookie.

Comment

Originally posted by WinslowBodden View Post
                                I dont know what the knock on Haden's speed is all about because the guy is fast as hell and extremely quick and shifty... I would rather have him back on kick returns and punt returns currently over Cribbs... He hasn't been the same this year with his ankle injury.
                                I tried ******* telling people this leading up to the draft. The Florida coaches regarded him as their second best athlete, behind only Harvin. You could clearly see him ******* up his starts on the 40 at the combine, which lead to the slower times.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information