Eric Mangini's model is pretty impressive

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eric Mangini's model is pretty impressive

I have watched a bit of the Cleveland Browns this year and it's pretty insane how good of an offensive line they have on the left side.

Joe Thomas is clearly the best LT in football and I don't even think it's debatable. Steinbach is a great OG who is playing healthy now after a down season. And Mack at C is a huge anchor. The Browns clearly have the best LT/LG/C combination in football right now.

I know Mangini got lucky with Cleveland already having Thomas + Steinbach in place, but his philosophy is pretty obvious. If you compare how he built the Jets with how the current Browns are being built. I understand, Holmgren is the GM, but Mangini's imprint is all over this team.

Brick - Thomas
    Steinbach - Faneca
    Mangold - Mack
    Revis - Haden

The hard hitting recklessly aggressive safeties, etc. Haden is coming into his own and is tailor made for Mangini's defense. They really drafted well this year.

Cleveland has a chance to finish 8-8 which would be a pretty significant accomplishment when you consider what they have started at QB this season. Mangini is pretty damn underrated as a coach and if he gets fired (that would be a mistake) would make a great GM. I think Mangini is worthy of getting coach of the year votes this season if they finish 8-8 or better.

Whoever gets this coaching job if it opens is going to walk into a gold mine. Holmgren will probably jump back into coaching for this one.

Just another casualty of Lord Favre.

Comment

Eric Mangini only drafted Mack and Haden. Joe Thomas & Steinbach have been in place for a few years.

The Browns are playing like one of the best coached teams in football though.

big props to BoneKrusher for the sig & avatar
      - For daily NFL draft coverage:
      www.twitter.com/ryanlownes

Comment

Originally posted by ThePudge View Post
        Eric Mangini only drafted Mack and Haden. Joe Thomas & Steinbach have been in place for a few years.

The Browns are playing like one of the best coached teams in football though.
        Read the text next time.

Comment

It would be an absolute shame if Mangini is fired, because he's getting a whole lot out of very little, especially on defense. Hell, he's on a 2 game winning streak wiht Jake Delhomme at quarterback.

He targeted Peyton Hillis last year and was unable to get it done, evidently because Denver wanted Brady Quinn, which was done this year. Now, Peyton Hillis is a Top 10 back for pennies.

I just hope Josh McDaniels is let go by Denver and he can come in and be our offensive coordinator.

They just need to keep adding talent and continue building. And Eric Mangini is only 39, learned from his time with the Jets, and should only continue improving.

Comment

Interesting... I think Jake Long has been the best left tackle in football this season and I really didn't think it was debatable.

Comment

He's really doing a great job. I don't think he was a fit in New York or was completely ready to be a head coach when he got that job. Honestly feel like some of the motivation for hiring him came from the fact it would hurt the Patriots. I wouldn't say that if it didn't work either, because it really did set our defense back going to Dean Pees and stretching BB thinner. Not a bad move if you think about it, getting a hot coaching candidate and crippling a division rival.

But yeah, flash forward, he's got the Browns playing well above their talent level. Get a quarterback and a few other pieces in there, and you might just have a turn around that lasts more than a year. Rob Ryan is a big part of it to though and you have to wonder how long he will be around with the defense playing so well.

R.I.P. Junior Seau

Comment

Originally posted by P-L View Post
                Interesting... I think Jake Long has been the best left tackle in football this season and I really didn't think it was debatable.
                He's playing with one arm

Comment

Joe Thomas is better than Long.

Comment

I haven't seen enough of Long to say one way or the other, but I will say that Thomas has been very, very good. Saying one or the other is better is useless; both are great.

<@JBond> And Dg, you'd waste it on corndogs
                    <@JBond> So you get no 5 dollars
                    <+DG> how is buy one get one free wasting?
                    <+njx9> i'm pretty sure your people still eat boots in north korea, bantx. they don't know what vegetables are.

Comment

Originally posted by BUSTKUNTLAWL View Post
                      he gets fired (that would be a mistake) would make a great GM.
                      God no, Heckertt and Holmgren handled this draft not Mangini and it was one of our best drafts ever (if you can even say that after 1/2 a year) Mangini is a good coach not a good GM.

Comment

Originally posted by BUSTKUNTLAWL View Post
                        Read the text next time.
                        Didn't see one sentence, I apologize. Not like I was rude at all. I just thought it was odd that you listed this "Mangini model" with pieces that Mangini had nothing to do with building.

big props to BoneKrusher for the sig & avatar
                        - For daily NFL draft coverage:
                        www.twitter.com/ryanlownes

Comment

Mangini got a bad wrap with the Jets. He never wanted Favre and his owner pushed Favre on him. Woody Johnson is a publicity *****. He wants a Hollywood QB and wants headlines in papers. Ryan surely gives that. Mangini went 9-7 and got fired. Ryan went 9-7 after two team layed down for him and gets treated as a near god. Yes, he went on a great role in the playoffs, so you have to give that to him. The foundations of these Jets were built by Mangini and Tannenbaum.

Comment

Better not fire him this off-season - Browns aren't far away.

Shame they're in the conference with Baltimore and Pittsburgh - Browns would be a playoff team in the NFC West
                            Just play me, baby

Comment

Originally posted by NotRickJames View Post
                              Better not fire him this off-season - Browns aren't far away.

Shame they're in the conference with Baltimore and Pittsburgh - Browns would be a playoff team in the NFC West
                              outside of carolina and maybe detriot every other NFC team would be a playoff team in the NFC west

Saints 2014 draft wish list:
                              - No pass rusher till the fourth round (or preferably at all)
                              - Corner or Wideout in the first
                              - No reaching
                              - No Kelvin Benjamin

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information