Top NFL Offensive Lines

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BeerBaron View Post
    They need more time as well. Iupati has shown flashes of being an animal, he just needs some seasoning. As for Davis...well he doesn't have to play Chris Long every week....that's a plus.
    Iupati will be a beast, not sure about Anthony Davis though. They are a good run blocking unit but they can't pass protect very well. Pretty typical with a young line. IIRC their RT is pretty good too, at least above average, and young so I would expect them to sniff the top 5 in a few years.

Thanks to BK for the sig

Comment

Originally posted by DoughBoy View Post
      David Stewart and Michael Roos are still top tackles, but are having down years for their standards. Our interior o-line doesn't even look like it has a NFL quality starter in it. LeRoy Harris can't handle LBers, Eugene Amano can't hold a block to save his life and Jake Scott looks like he is the twilight years of his career.
      This. The bookend OT's are great, but the inside is an abortion. Eugene Amano gets blown back 3 yards every play, Harris looks lost at times, and Jake Scott is nothing but average.

I think a stud C would fix things dramatically. It would certainly help Harris.
      Still Team The Ke$ha!!!

[@TDWinstead]
      Originally posted by MichaelJordanEberle (sabf)
      Damn Ke$ha is sexy.

Comment

Originally posted by Unbiased View Post
        I get that when your favorite team does something well, it's easy to think, "This is how you do it" but there are plenty of ways to build a team and to build an offensive line.
        That's hardly where I'm coming from. I've been saying this even when the Chiefs oline was trash, you don't need to invest a ton of high draft picks to build an oline. RTs and Gs don't need to be taken in the first round, not unless you're already a really talented team that can afford luxury picks.

And Woody was a journeyman free agent, the Jets invested no draft picks in him. Which is only reinforces my point.

Comment

Originally posted by umphrey View Post
          I'd say zone blocking or at least some aspects of it are essential in todays NFL. Without it, your team is going to get eaten up by stunts, linebackers moving around, DB blitzes, etc. I can't imagine trying to block some of the defensive formations I've seen in the last few years with only 1 down lineman and 5 linebackers. Plus lines that are built for zone tend to be better in pass protection and that's what is driving NFL teams these days.
          Thanks for this post. Very informative, sir.

"I don't do Pro Days, we send our scouts to those. I would rather spend my time watching film. The eye in the sky never lies. Functional Strength and athletic ability are the first things we look for in a college prospect." - Mark Dominik, Buccaneers GM

Comment

Every offensive line looks like it sucks because most teams pass the ball too damn much. The Bears have looked passable for the past month because there's been some actual balance and DE's aren't pinning their ears back every play.

As far as I can tell, the best o-lines are the Ravens, Jets, Browns, Jaguars, Falcons, Pats roughly in that order.

Comment

I think the Bears can safely claim the worst, though Redskins are also pretty damn woeful.

Vikings are pretty middle of the pack, comfortably in the bottom 10 for pass protection but probably in the top 15 for run blocking.

Titan's line hasn't been nearly as good as in years past but is still pretty solid when I've seen it. Ravens are solid but again, not as good as last year. Patriots are doing a good job but a lot of that is the QB. Chiefs have been good. Jets are also strong but again not as good as last year for mine.

Something I notice with a lot of the top OLs is that they come from run heavy teams or at worst fairly well balanced teams. The teams where the lines have struggled are pass heavy. Not a coincidence, run blocking assignments are far easier, run blocking itself is easier. Passing stupid amounts puts the OL at a serious disadvantage.

Props to BK on the sig!

Comment

Wrong thread...
                Last edited by wogitalia; 12-06-2010, 10:58 PM.

Props to BK on the sig!

Comment

Falcons should be in the top 3 of everybody's list. A bunch of no name guys just outdoing everybody infront of them in every aspect. Matt Ryan's emergence goes hand in hand with their emergence.

Comment

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/ol

Advanced Stats are trying to give a empirical rank but you really need to watch games to be sure.

Comment

Originally posted by ChiFan24 View Post
                      Every offensive line looks like it sucks because most teams pass the ball too damn much. The Bears have looked passable for the past month because there's been some actual balance and DE's aren't pinning their ears back every play.
                      Um, no. Cutler is still getting pressured, hit, and sacked left and right. You think it looks passable because 9 sacks in a half has distorted reality for you.

Comment

Originally posted by Basileus777 View Post
                        That's hardly where I'm coming from. I've been saying this even when the Chiefs oline was trash, you don't need to invest a ton of high draft picks to build an oline. RTs and Gs don't need to be taken in the first round, not unless you're already a really talented team that can afford luxury picks.

And Woody was a journeyman free agent, the Jets invested no draft picks in him. Which is only reinforces my point.
                        The Jets may not have invested any draft picks in Woody, but they did invest 25 million in him, so I'm not sure you can really call him a "journeyman".

As for not drafting offensive linemen high, the Jets drafted a left tackle and a center in the first round. I STILL think one of the biggest draft blunders this decade by the Jets was to not keep going in that direction.

Marcus McNeil was right there in the second round, taken directly after Kellen Clemens.

Then again, I will admit I was enamored with that OL draft that year.

Just the same, if your offensive line is swiss cheese, I don't see a problem taking an elite guard prospect or a right tackle in the first round. Just not in the top ten.

Comment

Originally posted by ViperVisor View Post

Advanced Stats are trying to give a empirical rank but you really need to watch games to be sure.
                          Chicago 29th run blocking and 32nd in pass blocking? Woo-hoo! Go Bears!

Comment

Originally posted by ViperVisor View Post

supports what i've seen myself from tennessee's offensive line this year, better pass blocking than run blocking, mostly because of the bookend tackles, and even the pass blocking is probably (haven't checked this) lower than it has been in previous years because even the two aforementioned tackles are having down years for their standards.

the interior of this line is a ****ing trainwreck, and you don't have to be very knowledgeable about oline play to see that, clear as day. our two starting guards look average on their best days, and eugene amano is one of the worst centers in the league, easily.

Comment

The Chiefs have a solid line this year but probably aren't as good as the stats indicate.

We absolutely need a future C (I would eat a small baby to have a prospect like Pouncey in KC) and our RT situation hasn't been great. We did just draft Asamoah who is going to fill in when Waters calls it quits, so we're good there, but it could definitely be improved.

Originally posted by fenikz
                              His soft D really turns me off
                              ** RIP themaninblack. You will be missed. **

Comment

Originally posted by vidae View Post
                                The Chiefs have a solid line this year but probably aren't as good as the stats indicate.

We absolutely need a future C (I would eat a small baby to have a prospect like Pouncey in KC) and our RT situation hasn't been great. We did just draft Asamoah who is going to fill in when Waters calls it quits, so we're good there, but it could definitely be improved.
                                That's how I feel about the Jags. Monroe's turning into a nice player and Manuwai is finally getting back into form after tearing his ACL a couple years ago.

We could definitely use an upgrade over Meester, though. And the jury is still out on Eben Britton, I'm not sure if he's better suited for tackle or guard.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information