Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

December Random Thoughts

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #31
    Originally posted by Giantsfan1080 View Post
    Dez seemed liked the only hard worker on the Cowboys when the Wade Phillips ship was sinking.
    He's also been a beast while Thomas has had trouble even staying healthy. Hindsight is always good in that way....but I thought it was a bad decision on draft day and I still believe it today.

    Thomas was coming out of a very WR unfriendly system with injury concerns....I wouldn't have passed on Dez for him.

    Comment


    • #32
      Originally posted by bigbluedefense View Post

      -I know the Falcons are the 1 seed, I know they have beaten quality opponents, and I know they are unstoppable at home….but for some reason, I just can’t buy into them. Every time I watch them play, I see a very beatable team. I wouldn’t be surprised if they prove me wrong, but I just don’t think the Falcons are that good.



      -Roddy White is one ugly looking man. Dude looks like a rat.

      I disagree on both accounts.

      Comment


      • #33
        White has nothing on the ugliest man I've ever seen in the NFL:

        (in spoilers in case you have a weak stomach)

        Comment


        • #34
          I actually don't fault McDaniels for passing on Dez Bryant. Dez is a diva of the highest caliber and will cause headaches for coaches and QBs in the future. Count on it.

          Sometimes you just don't want to deal with divas, no matter how talented they are, especially if you can find someone who is *almost* as talented and much less maintenance (Demaryius Thomas).

          Comment


          • #35
            Originally posted by yourfavestoner View Post
            Belichick's running the Urban Meyer offense minus the option. I know that sounds silly since the option is such an important part Urban's playbook. But everything from the formation versatility, position versatility, the route combos, and the balance between run and pass has a distinct Meyer influence.
            Very much so, i realized this last night watching the game and i gotta say im a little dissappointed in myself that i didnt see it sooner. its something ive been thinking about since the offseason when i read about Meyer offense (see below) and i thought i had a cool lead that no one in the nfl was trying. im a little hurt =(

            but ok so heres basically what meyer's offense does a lot of and how BB's puttin it to work:

            BB uses Hernandez and Gronkowski the Meyer uses his top recievers: in the slot. Generally Meyer tries to put create mismatches by moving recievers who are big guys into the slot and seeing what the D does. If they cover him with a corner, they run the ball and the big WR bulldozes his guy or comes down on a linebacker and leaves the RB in space with a CB, a money matchup. If the WR is covered by a LB, they pass it simple as that. Now if the other team brings a safety down or throws extra safeties on, the offense simply attacks the weak link. No teams in college have that many athletes to matchup like that and someone is gunna be in deep coverage or covering a slot guy that they just cant do. Teams in the NFL cant throw safeties out like that because they cant afford to have that many good safeties without sacrificing somewhere else, basically somethings gotta give.

            BB lets the defense dictate how they are beat by letting them pick their poison. Look at that offense: woodhead, Hernandez, Gronkowski, all those guys are very versatile players, as well as the receivers being able to play really anywhere.

            As BBD pointed out in another thread i think, they can have the same guys on the field for almost any formation its very simple but brilliant really.
            Originally posted by Thumper/JBCX/Bixby
            Orton will never be in the same class as the Drew Brees or the Peyton Mannings or the Tom Bradys of the world. Kevin Kolb has the potential to be that kind of player.

            Comment


            • #36
              Originally posted by njx9
              come on, man. y'all were 11-5 in his second season. not headed for a likely 3-13 finish. he dumped guys like kerry collins, not guys like jay cutler. and he dumped them for eli manning, not for matt cassell. tom coughlin was nowhere near the spectacular failure that mcdaniels had been in denver on the personnel front OR the coaching front. there was nothing that looked like it was going in the right direction on this team, aside from possibly moreno (depending on whether you think his last game was because he ran well or because the chiefs were playing the pass).

              look at a guy like spagnuolo. the rams look like they're actually moving in the right direction, even if they drop the last 4 straight. denver's not even treading water at this point, and 100% of the blame for that can be laid at mcdaniels' feet.
              It seems like every other coach hired that year has done good things. Schwartz, Morris, Haley, Spags, all of them are leading young teams that look to be headed in the right direction. We hired the one bad apple in the bunch.

              Also I actually agreed with BBD on the Coughlin sucking thing. I thought he was the worst. The locker room was turning on him, they collapsed in the second half, etc. But still not close to as bad as McD. If he traded Eli, traded Burress, blew the picks he got from those trades, pissed off Spagnuolo enough to walk away for another DC job somewhere else(not even a HC job!) and videotaped a 1-7 team and STILL lost to them, then we could talk about it.


              Originally posted by Scott Wright
              Terrellezzzzzzzz Pryorzzzzzzzz!
              Originally posted by njx9
              do i tell you when to flip the burger?

              Comment


              • #37
                Originally posted by Giantsfan1080 View Post
                Dez seemed liked the only hard worker on the Cowboys when the Wade Phillips ship was sinking.
                True, but coming out I was concerned he'd be a diva and Denver didn't have the lockerroom to handle another diva WR.

                BK

                Originally posted by AcheTen
                JPP is a better and more productive player than Brandon Graham
                Originally posted by abaddon41_80
                Is Shaun Hill a top 10 QB? Definitely not. Is he a top 20 one? Almost certainly.
                Originally posted by JBCX
                Most misleading 10+ sack season EVER.

                Comment


                • #38
                  Originally posted by P-L View Post
                  I know you don't like him, but Philip Rivers is leading the league in yards per attempt by a pretty big margin. Michael Vick is almost a half yard behind him and the #3 guy (Rodgers) trails by 0.7 ypa. The Rivers/Orton comparison is really, really unfair to Rivers. Orton's ypa is 1.2 less than Rivers, he has four less touchdowns on 45 more attempts, and is completing almost 6% less of his passes. You claim that passing yards are overrated, yet they are the only stat you look at when implying that both players are playing at a similar level.
                  No no no nooooooo. I never said I don't like Phillip Rivers. I think he's a great qb. I just don't view him as a top 5 guy. But by no means does that translate into me not liking him.

                  And the comparison to Orton was to exemplify how that statistic is worthless. Bc Rivers is by far and away the superior qb to Orton, yet Orton can accomplish the same feat. So how impressive is it really, if a mediocre qb can achieve the same statistic as a very good one? That was the point in all of that.

                  Originally posted by Auron View Post
                  What did you think of the 4th & 2 Brees freeze play to draw the Bengals offsides at the end of that game? At first it wasn't really working but then we shifted the formation around, and Brees started shouting the cadence louder.. and got a Bengals D-line to jump for a gift of a first down. I was amazed that anyone would fall for that, it ultimately led to the Win because had we gone for the FG we probably would have lost that game if the Bengals won the toss with how our Defense was playing in the 2nd half of that game.

                  Also what do you guys think of the Saints chances going down the stretch? I think they are getting hot at the right time... obviously I think Atlanta will take the Division, and take the 1 seed... their schedule is just way too easy... but we've had a great road record under Payton and the team is starting to get healthy.... I'm just hoping we finish out the season strong.
                  That's another example of a great play. Ben did the same vs the Ravens I recall. And I love the Saints chances. I think they are a very dangerous team, and somewhat overlooked.

                  Originally posted by BeerBaron View Post
                  He's also been a beast while Thomas has had trouble even staying healthy. Hindsight is always good in that way....but I thought it was a bad decision on draft day and I still believe it today.

                  Thomas was coming out of a very WR unfriendly system with injury concerns....I wouldn't have passed on Dez for him.
                  I loved Bey Bey coming out. I think we need to give him some time. He very well could wind up being just as good as Dez. The tools are there. I don't really hate the pick, I loved him as a prospect.

                  Originally posted by ATLDirtyBirds View Post
                  I disagree on both accounts.
                  Completely understandable.

                  Originally posted by njx9
                  come on, man. y'all were 11-5 in his second season. not headed for a likely 3-13 finish. he dumped guys like kerry collins, not guys like jay cutler. and he dumped them for eli manning, not for matt cassell. tom coughlin was nowhere near the spectacular failure that mcdaniels had been in denver on the personnel front OR the coaching front. there was nothing that looked like it was going in the right direction on this team, aside from possibly moreno (depending on whether you think his last game was because he ran well or because the chiefs were playing the pass).

                  look at a guy like spagnuolo. the rams look like they're actually moving in the right direction, even if they drop the last 4 straight. denver's not even treading water at this point, and 100% of the blame for that can be laid at mcdaniels' feet.
                  This is true. Josh took epic fail to whole new levels. I just wanted to see him build his program though. There was progress being made. He did have a productive passing game, he drafted pieces to be successful there in Bey Bey and Decker, and he turned Lloyd's career around. He drafted linemen to shore up the oline, and Moreno started coming along this year.

                  I just wanted to see him get 1 more year.

                  Comment


                  • #39
                    Originally posted by MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) View Post
                    Also I actually agreed with BBD on the Coughlin sucking thing. I thought he was the worst. The locker room was turning on him, they collapsed in the second half, etc. But still not close to as bad as McD. If he traded Eli, traded Burress, blew the picks he got from those trades, pissed off Spagnuolo enough to walk away for another DC job somewhere else(not even a HC job!) and videotaped a 1-7 team and STILL lost to them, then we could talk about it.
                    Exactly. This is the perfect reason why Coughlin can't even begin to be compared to McDaniels.

                    When you piss off your DC, and trade away guys just because you don't like them, you're going to have a hard time building a winning roster. Maybe Coughlin didnt' always get along with some of his better players and coordinators, I don't know, but at least he was smart enough to realize he needed them on his team if he wanted to win games and keep his job.

                    Comment


                    • #40
                      Before 07, you couldn't find a bigger Tom Coughlin critic than me. I hated him. I was furious that we brought him back. He was stubborn with his coaching, he was destroying the development of our franchise qb, and he didn't have a clue on defense.

                      But the Giants stuck with him, gave him time to develop his program, and now look. Sometimes you just gotta give a guy some time to weed out players who aren't on board, develop the players who are on board, and let the guys in the lockerroom know that its his way or the highway.

                      Josh deserved that chance imo. If he failed after that, then sure. But at least give him the chance first. It was only his 2nd year. And he spent his first year getting rid of problem child players. So really, it was only year 1 of his rebuilding project.

                      I was the opposite. I loved him as a coach. No matter where he went he had success which is a sign of a good coach. He is probably one of the last old school coaches left in the NFL. I was very happy we got him as a HC.

                      He didn't destroy the development of ELi. Hufangel was the major player in that. I think EA had a chapter on Huffy in his book. While the Steelers had Whisenhunt and Rivers had Cameron, we had that filth Hufangel as our OC. Actually the worst moves Coughlin made was:

                      OC: Hufangel
                      DC: Tim Lewis

                      Right there is where he messed up. I hated both hires and I knew both would come back and haunt us.

                      I agree with you on Josh M. It annoys me how these Owners get these knee jerk reactions and fire their HC. Josh M is a 2nd year HC and CHilly just got a contract extension from the Vikings owner only to be fired.

                      Give these coaches a chance! Let them try to fight through it and then if they continue to stink, then make a chance. An don't listen to the fans. If Mara's listened to the majority of the fans Coughlin would have been fired. Good thing that family actually has a clue how to run a franchise.

                      I think both owners should have gave their respective coaches more time.

                      Comment


                      • #41
                        Originally posted by njx9
                        i'm also curious, did the giants players ever outright quit on coughlin, the way they quit on mcdaniels against, say, oakland (and other examples, but let's just keep it basic)?

                        i mean, these were his hand-picked guys. this wasn't brandon marshall being a crybaby. this was every member of his team giving up in the 2nd quarter.
                        I thought they would, but surprisingly, just when you thought they were about to mail it in, they fought their asses off for him.

                        That's one thing I respect about Coughlin, minus the last 2 games of last year, his teams always have played hard for him under any circumstance.

                        Comment


                        • #42
                          second game of the 07 season against the packers, i thought they mightve been done playing for him.

                          Tiki talking in the media, players looked like they were doggin it, eli starting to look like he may never come around, things looked like they were going the wrong way very quickly and there were rumors that if he didnt right the ship fast he was out.

                          Not on McDaniels level because Coughlin let the right people walk but let strahan come back late and it all worked out so it seems like he knew what he was doing. The same cant be said in denver.

                          posted in another thread but ill say it again: look at the roster less than 2 years ago and now, they went from a team with some great pieces who were close to a team that looks like a complete rebuilding project. shame

                          he did do some good things though, he mad orton and lloyd productive. But that wouldnt have been neccessary if he hadnt shipped cutler and marshall out of town. his ego was just way to big to get it done, it had to be his way and well it was and now the broncos are where they are, its pretty clear he sucked and deserved to be fired.
                          Originally posted by Thumper/JBCX/Bixby
                          Orton will never be in the same class as the Drew Brees or the Peyton Mannings or the Tom Bradys of the world. Kevin Kolb has the potential to be that kind of player.

                          Comment


                          • #43
                            Originally posted by njx9
                            i'm also curious, did the giants players ever outright quit on coughlin, the way they quit on mcdaniels against, say, oakland (and other examples, but let's just keep it basic)?

                            i mean, these were his hand-picked guys. this wasn't brandon marshall being a crybaby. this was every member of his team giving up in the 2nd quarter.
                            No, the giants never quit on their HC. However, they did quit on their DC. Last season is the freshest from what I remember. The team quit on Bill Sheridan, thus leading us to get raped towards the end of the season by almost every team we played. Just see the Vikings and Panthers game last year. It was a joke.

                            Comment


                            • #44
                              Originally posted by Boss+Manning=Banning View Post
                              I was the opposite. I loved him as a coach. No matter where he went he had success which is a sign of a good coach. He is probably one of the last old school coaches left in the NFL. I was very happy we got him as a HC.

                              He didn't destroy the development of ELi. Hufangel was the major player in that. I think EA had a chapter on Huffy in his book. While the Steelers had Whisenhunt and Rivers had Cameron, we had that filth Hufangel as our OC. Actually the worst moves Coughlin made was:

                              OC: Hufangel
                              DC: Tim Lewis

                              Right there is where he messed up. I hated both hires and I knew both would come back and haunt us.

                              I agree with you on Josh M. It annoys me how these Owners get these knee jerk reactions and fire their HC. Josh M is a 2nd year HC and CHilly just got a contract extension from the Vikings owner only to be fired.

                              Give these coaches a chance! Let them try to fight through it and then if they continue to stink, then make a chance. An don't listen to the fans. If Mara's listened to the majority of the fans Coughlin would have been fired. Good thing that family actually has a clue how to run a franchise.

                              I think both owners should have gave their respective coaches more time.
                              I'm still upset that Jacksonville let him go. His last year there was probably the best coaching job in the history of the team. Despite them going 6-10, they had a positive point and turnover differential and were competitive in every single game, even though the roster had been completely gutted after years of cap mismanagement.

                              His problems were the same as Holmgren's: great coach, but was just in charge of way too much. He had full personnel control and did great with it at first, but mortgaged the future by constantly restructuring contracts and pushing money into the future.

                              Sad thing is that he even offered to give up personnel power, but the people in Jacksonville wanted him gone, so Weaver fired him.

                              Comment


                              • #45
                                Originally posted by bigbluedefense View Post
                                I thought they would, but surprisingly, just when you thought they were about to mail it in, they fought their asses off for him.

                                That's one thing I respect about Coughlin, minus the last 2 games of last year, his teams always have played hard for him under any circumstance.
                                The team quit on Sheridan, not Coughlin last year.

                                BK

                                Originally posted by AcheTen
                                JPP is a better and more productive player than Brandon Graham
                                Originally posted by abaddon41_80
                                Is Shaun Hill a top 10 QB? Definitely not. Is he a top 20 one? Almost certainly.
                                Originally posted by JBCX
                                Most misleading 10+ sack season EVER.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X

                                Debug Information