Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lousy Tackling in the NFL....what can be done?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Morton View Post
    But they're not going to let some scrub RB get 100+ YAC on them, that's for darn sure.
    If they're slow, they will....

Comment

Originally posted by bigbluedefense View Post
      If they're slow, they will....
      Well, I'm not going to draft guys that run 5.0 40s or anything like that.

Actually, look at Brandon Spikes @ NE: it doesn't really matter how slow he is because he uses solid technique and plays tough.

Comment

Originally posted by MidwayMonster31 View Post
        The helmet to helmet penalties are clearly in the heads of the defenses. If Landry tackled him normally, he could have gotten a penalty called on him and that would have cost them the game anyway. Instead he tossed himself sideways at Redman's legs, like you said.
        If he tackled him normally, there wouldn't be a penalty. There isn't a penalty for hitting the guy around the waist/stomach with your shoulder then wrapping your arms around him.

As BBD said, the fines on big hits should shift emphasis back to good form tackling.....it remains to be seen though because it certainly hasn't done it yet.

Comment

Suspend Eric Weddle and bad tackle attempts will down 5-10% leaguewide.

Comment

Originally posted by Morton View Post
            Well, I'm not going to draft guys that run 5.0 40s or anything like that.

Actually, look at Brandon Spikes @ NE: it doesn't really matter how slow he is because he uses solid technique and plays tough.
            Spikes is looking good for us but a big part of that is because he is allowed to play his game. He has actually looked like he can be more of a run stuffer, but run stuffing and being a force in the middle is what he's going to make his mark here doing.

The reasons why he is allowed to play his game:

I really can't get over how thrilled I am to have Spikes and Mayo playing next to each other.

Comment

It starts at the college level. If poor tackling on the NFL level bothers you, watching an NCAA game might make you vomit. And I agree with those who believe it's because teams don't go live often enough. I'm never surprised when I hear about teams that go full pads being successful. Example, Harbaugh at Stanford. They go live, live, live even during the season.
              aka KGB Chicken

Comment

NFL players can't tackle to save their lives. Watch some rugby league and maybe you guys might learn a few things.

Comment

How about a segment showing the best form tackles each week on E!SPN and the likes
                  Originally posted by njx9
                  i mean, why wouldn't the broncos take cam newton? they can play him at quarterback WITH tebow!

Comment

Players are increasingly trying to force turnovers rather than simply stop the ball carrier. So they go for the big punishing hit instead of trying to wrap up.
                    Originally posted by George Carlin

In Football the object is for the Field General to be on target with his aerial assault, riddling the Defence by hitting his Receivers with deadly accuracy, in spite of the Blitz, even if he has to use the Shotgun. With short bullet passes and long bombs he marches his troops into enemy territory, balancing this aerial assault with a sustained ground attack which punches holes in the forward wall of the enemy’s Defensive Line.

In Baseball the object is to go home and be safe.

Comment

This would be an easy fix.
                      Stop lowering the shoulder for a big hit and wrap up.
                      Some players are just pussies and avoid hits in general. That can't change. But you can teach a player to wrap up, because a shoulder to shoulder hit on a big RB or TE even WR these days doesn't always bring them down.

bonekrusher
                      The Twitters
                      themaninblack

Comment

Originally posted by no bare feet View Post
                        How about a segment showing the best form tackles each week on E!SPN and the likes
                        Probably wouldn't be "flashy" enough for them...

Originally posted by Seamus2602 View Post
                        Players are increasingly trying to force turnovers rather than simply stop the ball carrier. So they go for the big punishing hit instead of trying to wrap up.
                        I mentioned in the first post about how a team like the Bears goes about doing it. More often than not, the first player to the ball carrier will wrap him up to ensure he can't get much further. Then, the next defenders to arrive will be the ones to start ripping and punching at the ball to knock it loose. And they are regularly amongst the best teams at forcing turnovers.

It's how I'd teach to do it.

Comment

Originally posted by BeerBaron View Post
                          Probably wouldn't be "flashy" enough for them...

I mentioned in the first post about how a team like the Bears goes about doing it. More often than not, the first player to the ball carrier will wrap him up to ensure he can't get much further. Then, the next defenders to arrive will be the ones to start ripping and punching at the ball to knock it loose. And they are regularly amongst the best teams at forcing turnovers.

It's how I'd teach to do it.
                          The Colts used to do this a lot when Dungy was here, and still do to a lesser extent. It is one of the few advantages smaller, faster defenses have.

Comment

Originally posted by bigbluedefense View Post
                            your defense sounds slow.
                            What prompts a comment like this? I would put the 40 times and agility drill times of the "slow" Big 10 'backers up against any conference' linebackers. This wouldn't be a racist dig, now would it?

Comment

Originally posted by MizzouBig12 View Post
                              What prompts a comment like this? I would put the 40 times and agility drill times of the "slow" Big 10 'backers up against any conference' linebackers. This wouldn't be a racist dig, now would it?
                              You might want to answer your first question regarding your second question.

Where the **** did that come from?

Comment

Everyone knows smart, more hardworking people are less athletic... duh

Originally posted by Jurrell Casey
                                I love light skin and white women but my main chick is brown skin

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information