Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it time for the Colts to change the way they do things?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AntoinCD View Post
    True but it is all built around Manning. As the OP was saying if this stops working, what is the backup plan?
    Curtis Painter
    Originally posted by George Carlin

In Football the object is for the Field General to be on target with his aerial assault, riddling the Defence by hitting his Receivers with deadly accuracy, in spite of the Blitz, even if he has to use the Shotgun. With short bullet passes and long bombs he marches his troops into enemy territory, balancing this aerial assault with a sustained ground attack which punches holes in the forward wall of the enemy’s Defensive Line.

In Baseball the object is to go home and be safe.

Comment

Originally posted by Seamus2602 View Post
      Curtis Painter
      Lol nice(10 char)

BoneKrusher killing it with the sig

Comment

I had a big long thing typed out but I realized most people aren't that interested in the Colts so I will be brief. The Colts missed an opportunity to reinvent themselves and change their culture when Dungy left. The team needs less complexity and reliance on Manning on offense, and more toughness and a change in scheme on defense. The front office (Polian) chose continuity and I think it's backfired. You can't replace Dungy with Caldwell. You can't replace Marvin Harrison with Anthony Gonzalez or Pierre Garcon. You can't build an OL from undrafted free agents and late round picks.

Polian said something in an interview that is telling of his mindset. He said to be successful they needed to look at what has made them successful in the past and do those things more. The problem is that some of the pieces that made the past success possible are gone and are not coming back.

What I hope to see is a tougher and more complete team around Manning as he finishes his career. Invest in the OL. Change the defensive scheme that is obviously not working. Work with the talent that is there rather than trying to force square pegs into round holes. This doesn't mean completely rebuild the team. Just tweak it instead of relying on Manning to do everything and hoping for the best.

Comment

Curtis Painter
          Hes gonna make brees and orton look like ****
          RIP Sean Michael Taylor

Comment

No their not but they're the same DTs as last year with the real change that Fili Moala (at 300lbs) has largely replaced Foster (at 260lbs who has moved to DE). While play can regress it doesn't regress to a stage that you are giving up half a yard a carry more than the year before. The DTs aren't great against the run but then they weren't great against it last year. The regression in the run defense isn't on them.
            It's not just size, it's strength too. The colt's DTs are getting pushed at the point of attack. Cody could hold it better not only because he's bigger, but because he's a lot stronger. I mean no one was moving pat williams for years and it helped the minny D tremendously. With the DTs taking up blockers, it'd help other areas of the run games. The Lbers dont have to worry about taking on OLers and it'll help them it in that area. I mean look at what ngata did for ray lewis. The man is having a spectacular late career resurgence because the ravens drafted Ngata.

Comment

Bill Polian has been trying to reconstruct his Buffalo teams in Indy. Problem is that he's seem to have forgotten that those Buffalo teams could never win the Superbowl against the bigger, stronger, more rugged NFC teams.

Comment

I don't think that Colts need to change their schemes. I'm a person that believes that schemes are only as good as the players.

Indy is never a player in the Free Agent market, so having good drafts every year is EXTREMELY important.

Polian has build a great reputation of always having strong drafts. Unfortunately, he seems to have lost his gift. Recent drafts have been REALLY crappy. As a result, this team is flawed.

In a recent interview, Polian has indicated that OL will be a priority in the off-season and isn't ruling out looking at Free Agents. I hope they can upgrade it.

As far as Defense, I actually think their personnel (assuming everyone is healthy) isn't bad. You just can't overcome so many injuries. I mean, other then Bethea, the secondary is currently 3rd and 4th stringers.

But this team ALWAYS needs more talent on D.

As far as DT goes, it is a need. All the current DTs on the roster are more of platoon guys. A guy who can be a big difference maker on all downs would certainly make this unit better.

A strong, disrupting DT can:

1. Clog the middle.
                2. Prevent the opposition's QBs from stepping up in the pocket every time Mathis and Freeney rush upfield.
                3. Make RBs have to make extra cuts and spend more time in the backfield, allowing those fast LBs and DBs to converge.

Unfortunately, those kinds of guys go early in the draft.
                Last edited by MaxV; 12-10-2010, 11:22 AM.

Comment

Disagree about DT Max. They are a platoon but Muir last year and Moala at times this year have been disruptive in the backfield. But I think they overrotate. To many times out 300+ lb. guys are sitting on the bench while Foster and Dawson (both very sub-300) play in the middle. That is scheme, and that is stupid. I think they are one key DT away from a fantastic DL.

If they play the best DTs more, press the receivers more, and stop stunting the DL so much I think the team will improve. I don't mean they should go to a 3-4 or anything like that. Maybe "scheme" was the wrong word to use. They need to tweak some operational philosophies.

Comment

As much as Polian pisses me off, it's hard to argue he must change when the results have been so good. The Colts have major injury issues and can't overcome that. Losing WRs/TEs/RBs at an alarming rate hurts any team, but this particular Colts team doesn't have the OLine necessary to compensate via heavier doses of run game and more time for Manning & the WRs.

Originally posted by killxswitch View Post
                    You can't build an OL from undrafted free agents and late round picks.
                    The only thing I think absolutely needs to change is the lack of drafting of offensive linemen. Isn't Tony Ugoh the only offensive lineman ever drafted by the Polian Colts in the top 3 rounds? That seems outrageous to me.

Sig img shamelessly stolen from teh interwebs

Comment

I am sure they may tweak some things in the offseason. They have had success with this style of play, and I think they may see and evaluate how to make the offense better come this offseason.

I hate that saying, if it ain't broke....Then when it finally breaks then what? Everyone runs around blaming the other for the cause of the break? I like to take a proactive approach even if something is working perfectly fine. I like to see how things can be made better and looking to constantly improve. That's how the Maras and Jerry Reese run our franchise, and that's how Coughlin/Gilbride evaluate our offense and every year we adapted when something happened the previous year.

Polian is a good GM who I have great respect for. I expect him to take a similar approach with that team, specifically the offense, when the season is done.

Comment

Originally posted by FlyingElvis View Post
                        The only thing I think absolutely needs to change is the lack of drafting of offensive linemen. Isn't Tony Ugoh the only offensive lineman ever drafted by the Polian Colts in the top 3 rounds? That seems outrageous to me.
                        They drafted Mike Pollak in the 2nd round of 08. The problem is he sucks at guard. He may be an ok center, he's looked better there than at guard.

Comment

Originally posted by killxswitch View Post
                          They drafted Mike Pollak in the 2nd round of 08. The problem is he sucks at guard. He may be an ok center, he's looked better there than at guard.
                          Got it, thanks.

Still, that makes 2 OL taken in the top 3 rounds in more than a decade. That seems absurd when protecting one of the best QBs to ever play the game.

Sig img shamelessly stolen from teh interwebs

Comment

Originally posted by FlyingElvis View Post
                            Got it, thanks.

Still, that makes 2 OL taken in the top 3 rounds in more than a decade. That seems absurd when protecting one of the best QBs to ever play the game.
                            Agreed! As good as Manning is he can make it work with mid/late round receivers if he has protection and a running game.

Comment

Oh, sure Muir and Moala can be disrupting at times. But they are inconsistent.

Foster is disruptor with non-stop motor, but he is smaller then Freeney.

If only we can find a guy who would do what Booger did during the '07 Super Bowl run. He was a BEAST.
                              Last edited by MaxV; 12-10-2010, 01:08 PM.

Comment

Wasn't everyone healthy on the Colts D in week 1 when Arian Foster had well over 200 yards rushing? I'm pretty sure that most of the starters were there and even Bob Sanders played some of that game.

I don't think it makes much sense to use the injuries on the defense as to why the run defense is bad. I remember them getting gashed week 1 and thinking it was gonna be a long season for them trying to stop the running game.

Oh and Donald Brown is so garbage, I can't believe they missed so big with him. He's soft and they have tons of guys coming in Undrafted or drafted late who perform better. Their drafts as of late have been pretty bad though.

Originally posted by Scott Wright
                                I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information