James Richard Clausen

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by FUNBUNCHER View Post
    Guys around are here are hard on rookie QBs.
    The Panthers WRs as a group have been one of the worst in the NFL.

Jimmy isn't ready to start as a rookie, but to write off a QB in his first year on a bad offensive team is harsh IMO.
    When your going to be staring at an elite level QB prospect with the #1 overall pick, you have to have seen more out of Jimmy to be able to seriously consider passing on Luck.

Jimmy has been awful. Supporting case, NFL-readyness....none of it matters. He has been bad, and they should take the elite QB prospect. It's not like they took Clausen in the top 10 last year or anything like that, you can afford to move on from a 2nd round pick if you can potentially replace him with an elite prospect.

And in addition, like I already pointed out, he has shown no flashes of potential. No big plays to give you a preview of what might be to come....his best highlights are completed checkdowns.

Comment

Originally posted by NotRickJames View Post
      And the thing is - he's got a supporting cast. He's got Steve Smith, he's got a rejuvenated running game with Stewart and Goodson - but he still can't get much done. The offensive line isn't particuarly good, but it could be worse.

The Panthers will be taking Luck, as they should. I suspect Clausen will be the third quarterback next year.

You've heard of QBs making the talent around them look better? Clausen is the opposite.
      I am an Irish fan and I have to disagree with all of your assessments.

What leadership can he show? He is a rookie, very few rookies take the reigns of being a captain of a team. The only rookie QBs I can think of lately who have shown direct leadership to start in the NFL are Ryan and Bradford.

I think his zip is alright, I do agree he doesn't have a lazer cannon of an arm but he isn't as bad. I do think he is the type of QB who needs extra protection and is a QB who cannot be a gamebreaker by himself. He is a player who when good things are happening, he will be very consistent and steady but when bad things happen, he can't figure things out. Its a usual trait for a young QB as we see with Sanchez or early Flacco so its not just Clausen.

Kyle Orton was a "Game manager who sucked" but won because of the talent, in particular the D around him early in his Chicago career. Big Ben led his team to the AFC Title game despite looking overmatched alot of the time year 1....however the talent around him was superb so it helped him out.

Steve Smith is living off big reputation at this point, he has been mediocre this year. Dropping passes, not running crisp routes. He just doesn't seem motivated due to the poor record.

The O-Line in pass protection is pathetic for CAR. Very few QBs can survive that type of play...maybe a Vick or Roethlisberger type could but alot of QBs, especially rookies wont survive.

Running game has sucked up until recently and its been a dreadful year for DeAngelo Williams in particular.
      Last edited by Thecollegedropout; 12-24-2010, 11:14 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by bored of education View Post
        He sucked as a prospect. Nothing has changed.
        I have seen all of his Irish games and I can tell you he was great out of college and was a very good prospect.

Even Mel Kiper loved him...same with Scott Wright on this website. The guy was a very, very good prospect.

Comment

Not at all. Sucked in college and is sucking harder in the NFL.

Carolina's future is Luck or Mallett.

Comment

Originally posted by RealityCheck View Post

He only sucked his Freshman year because of a bottom 5 in NCAA running attack, an ATROCIOUS O-Line and a defense that would quickly get worn down.
            (Ironically similar to the Panthers this year....)

Sophomore and especially Junior year though he was great. Too bad the defense and Charlie Weis sucked though or else Clausen's career records would be much better.

Junior year he looked like a different man out there....even with a foot injury.

Comment

Originally posted by RealityCheck View Post

Except he didn't suck in college.

Bonekrusher.

Originally posted by JordanTaber
              Football...it's rocket surgery now, folks.

Comment

Did not like him coming out and this year has shown me no glimer of hope for clausen

sig by me
                Go buckeyes,steelers, cavs

PM me for jersey transfers

Comment

Just thought Id chime in after watching the game last night. Clausen looked absolutely atrocious. The line play was subpar, but Stewart was running well and Clausen missed a huge amount of throws. His footwork was beyond abysmal, he looked like he was dropping back in cement. For someone who was lauded for his experience in a pro style system and his mechanics, they were certainly terrible and on full display last night. He looked awful, and I see no reason why Carolina would pass on someone like Andrew Luck for what I saw last night, regardless of the investment they've made in him. He looked god awful.
                  Originally posted by Mr. Goosemahn
                  The APS is strong in this one.
                  Originally posted by killxswitch
                  Tears for Fears is better than whatever it is you happen to be thinking about right now.

Comment

Not big enough or strong enough, and his teammates don't respect him. Steve Smith insulting him in the media a couple weeks ago tells you all you need to know. If he had any redeeming qualities whatsoever, his teammates would have his back.

Comment

Originally posted by FUNBUNCHER View Post
                      Jimmy isn't ready to start as a rookie, but to write off a QB in his first year on a bad offensive team is harsh IMO.
                      There are serious issues. Even times when he has time to throw and has an open receiver, he struggles to accurately place the ball.

He desperately needs an NFL QB coach.
                      **** her in da *****!

Comment

He's a huge bust as of this moment and is not an NFL calibre QB, I doubt he ever will be.

Comment

Originally posted by BlindSite View Post
                          He's a huge bust as of this moment and is not an NFL calibre QB, I doubt he ever will be.
                          I wouldn't call him a bust because as a late 2nd rounder its hard to say he was ever viewed as a franchise QB. He just doesn't possess the arm to make NFL throws. I wouldn't want him doing anything but backing up my starting QB.

Comment

His arm is fine. It's not elite, but it can make throws when he has to.

I think he just has so little confidence in his team-mates (OL) right now and has so little support, he's not developing like he should.

Having said that, even bad rookies show glimmers of hope. Clausen hasn't show anything - at all - all season.
                            **** her in da *****!

Comment

Originally posted by DeathbyStat View Post
                              He can be a very good NFL starter not a great one.

Probly 10-15 best QB in the league pretty good but not elite.

I don't think you can pass up Luck.

I don't feel that Luck is the best prospect since Peyton Manning, but i think he is the best prospect since Matt Ryan
                              a comparison that doesnt work for me as imho stafford was a better prospect than ryan.

Even though im clearly not ready to write jimmy off i have to say that I cant fault the panthers for drafting luck if he became available. Imho they should do just that unless some absurd offer comes in for their first overall pick, im which case they could gladly take the offer

Saints 2014 draft wish list:
                              - No pass rusher till the fourth round (or preferably at all)
                              - Corner or Wideout in the first
                              - No reaching
                              - No Kelvin Benjamin

Comment

Matt Ryan went 3rd even though the team drafting 1st need a QB. That's how good he was compared to Matthew Stafford.

Stafford > Ryan.

Bradford > Ryan.

Luck > Ryan too.

edit: Ryan as a prospect was an inaccurate guy with average arm strength (at best - compared to most top 5 QBs).
                                **** her in da *****!

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information