Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Michael Vick - The Greatest Comeback of All Time?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vick could have been doing this in Atlanta two years ago if he didn't derail his own career. I'm glad he grew up and finally got his act together but too little too late. Hamilton's story is better than his, although still self imposed. I'll take Lance over Vick. Not even close.

Comment

Originally posted by Monomach View Post
      I'm not terribly impressed by anyone who comes back from a self-imposed career hiatus. Is he playing well? Of course he is...but if he wins comeback player of the year, I'm going to be pissed.
      He's at fault for his past actions and from what I've heard from the man, he's not making any exscuses about that. Personally, I don't completely agree with Vick's acceptance of everything, but I understand where's he's coming from and why he has to do it.

I will say this though. Everyone makes mistatkes in life, all of us here included. To have so much going and to have it all taken away, the average man cannot recover from it. Most men would be broken and would have given up. Instead of doing what 99.9% of men would do, he accepted responsibility for his failure and is completely dedicating himself to realizing his full potential.

Honestly, I cannot think of another "comeback" story like this and I'm not talking about just football or sports.

Comment

What about Mario Lemieux?

Is diagnosed with cancer in the 1993 NHL season. Undergoes radiation treatment and comes back after only 2 months to finish the season, and wins the Art Ross trophy given to the league's top scorer, notching the 3rd all-time best point-per-game ratio in NHL history. That was despite a severe back injury that would require surgery in the following off-season and make him miss a whole year (along with radiation treatment fatigue). Upon coming back, he wins another two straight scoring titles.

Comment

Mark Herzlich.
          my scent?...like making love to a lumberjack
          <TACKLE> i will ngata give you a bj raji
          <+BOE> Scott, with Burfict's character concerns (whether legit or not) you think Pioli would draft him. :D
          <+ScottWright> Why not. Baldwin does need a sparring partner...
          Originally posted by Hermstheman83
          What's with the hate on Ricky Stanzi? Those youtube clips of him with the hulk hogan theme music instantly make him better than Luck.

Comment

Originally posted by bored of education View Post
            Mark Herzlich.
            Jon Lester.

Comment

Originally posted by P-L View Post
              Jon Lester.
              umm Herzlich >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Lester
              Last edited by bored of education; 12-24-2010, 08:14 PM.
              my scent?...like making love to a lumberjack
              <TACKLE> i will ngata give you a bj raji
              <+BOE> Scott, with Burfict's character concerns (whether legit or not) you think Pioli would draft him. :D
              <+ScottWright> Why not. Baldwin does need a sparring partner...
              Originally posted by Hermstheman83
              What's with the hate on Ricky Stanzi? Those youtube clips of him with the hulk hogan theme music instantly make him better than Luck.

Comment

Originally posted by superman8456 View Post
                Michael Vick killed dogs and got 18 months. Dante Stallworth got 30 days in jail for manslaughter. Don't give me "self-imposed hiatus" ********.
                Self-imposed isn't the right word at all, but the only reason there's a comeback is from his own actions. I am not getting into a morality argument as I'm sure this is this thread's destiny but he did this to himself, it wasn't out of his control....which is what I think that poster was attempting to convey

But so was Josh Hamilton's as well, he did the drugs and came back. So did Robert Downey, Jr.

There's nothing else Vick can do to satisfy those who aren't exactly supportive of him. It's not worth beating a dead horse (though I'm sure he'd have no issues with that ba-boom-doosh!) about.

Now greatest comeback ever is a bit hyperbolic. He's having a great season but it's only one season. Mario Lemieux came back from cancer as did Lance Armstrong (though I am not a fan of his at all) which is something out of your control and in Armstrong's case, could've killed him. To compete at such a level after a cancer spreading, is amazing regardless of your opinion of him.

Rick Ankiel's was cool though he never had the success Vick is having in his second act. Went from the lowest rungs of the Appalachian League to everyday player (now a bench guy but still impressive).

Now of all-time, outside of sports too? Downey Jr., Eliot Spitzer having a TV career, Charlie Sheen is always perpetually coming back.

But my vote goes to Zsa Zsa Gabor.....how she is still alive is beyond my beliefs.

Oh and....

Originally posted by JeffSamardzijaIRISH View Post
                How is his hiatus self imposed? The dude didn't choose to go to jail.
                Well, technically he did since he did do a plea deal.
                Last edited by Philliez01; 12-24-2010, 08:29 PM.
                Is that a rash?

Give JKPIGSKIN credit for this masterpiece

Comment

How is his hiatus self imposed? The dude didn't choose to go to jail. And yes, this has to be the best comeback ever. Going to jail for two years and then coming back 10x better than you were? Kurt Warner's story really isn't a comeback, because he wasn't anything before he "came back". But Vick, NFL superstar--who some were calling a bust and would never be a decent passer, arrested and goes to jail, then comes back and is in contention for the MVP award? Best comeback ever.
                  Wait, what? He knew the consequences, he knew what he was doing was wrong, and he still CHOSE to do it. He chose to deal with the consequences if he was caught, and he was.

Originally posted by fenikz
                  His soft D really turns me off
                  ** RIP themaninblack. You will be missed. **

Comment

Originally posted by Philliez01 View Post
                    Now of all-time, outside of sports too? Downey Jr., Eliot Spitzer having a TV career, Charlie Sheen is always perpetually coming back.
                    If we're talking entertainment, then it's got to be a name more like MC Hammer or Vanilla Ice falling, then making a comeback.

I think Mark Wahlberg made a bigger comeback in entertainment and if we're talking politics, then I would say Bill Clinton after the Lewinsky scandal.

Comment

Who cares whether Mike Vick is coming back from a self-imposed hiatus??

What if MV was an alcoholic or drug addict who cleaned himself up and performed at a pro bowl level upon his return??

Would that be more acceptable??

Being locked up in a federal prison for 2 years should have decapitated Vick's career and regulated him to permanent backup status.
                      Instead, two years out of prison, Vick is better than he's ever been.

If he doesn't win Comeback Player Of The Year, who should???

For my money, I'd take Staubach/Warner/Moon as the NFL's greatest comebacks, with a slight edge for Moon.

Comment

Originally posted by FUNBUNCHER View Post
                        Who cares whether Mike Vick is coming back from a self-imposed hiatus??

What if MV was an alcoholic or drug addict who cleaned himself up and performed at a pro bowl level upon his return??

Would that be more acceptable??

Being locked up in a federal prison for 2 years should have decapitated Vick's career and regulated him to permanent backup status.
                        Instead, two years out of prison, Vick is better than he's ever been.

If he doesn't win Comeback Player Of The Year, who should???

For my money, I'd take Staubach/Warner/Moon as the NFL's greatest comebacks, with a slight edge for Moon.
                        Probably, seeing as how he didn't murder animals in that scenario.

Originally posted by fenikz
                        His soft D really turns me off
                        ** RIP themaninblack. You will be missed. **

Comment

Originally posted by Jvig43 View Post
                          It's a pretty amazing come back story, he totally deserves come back player of the year.

Nah dude... then it would be fixed........

Comment

"Every light must fade, every heart return to darkness!"
                            -San Francisco 49ers: Five Time Super Bowl Champions-
                            Originally posted by Borat
                            Oh, my bad. Didn't realize SWDC was the pinnacle of class and grace.

Comment

Mike Vick is amazing and he served his time for what he did, but I still don't feel sorry for him. You can bring up Stallworth or whatever but what Vick did was wrong no matter ho you slice it and I don't really have any sympathy for him. He has been playing unbelievable and I have always been a fan of what he can do on the field but it is ******* stupid how people are so quick to forgive and feel sorry for him.

Comment

How is his hiatus self imposed? The dude didn't choose to go to jail. And yes, this has to be the best comeback ever. Going to jail for two years and then coming back 10x better than you were? Kurt Warner's story really isn't a comeback, because he wasn't anything before he "came back". But Vick, NFL superstar--who some were calling a bust and would never be a decent passer, arrested and goes to jail, then comes back and is in contention for the MVP award? Best comeback ever.
                                So...who forced the guy to become the Hitler to the canine world's Jews?

Originally posted by superman8456 View Post
                                Michael Vick killed dogs and got 18 months. Dante Stallworth got 30 days in jail for manslaughter. Don't give me "self-imposed hiatus" ********.
                                Straw man. Vick didn't accidentally kill all of those dogs, and Stallworth didn't kill that guy on purpose.

He's playing well. It is what it is. He should count his lucky stars that he got another chance and is about to get paid. He should NOT be given awards for it. "Hey, man. Not everyone could kill a whole grip of dogs in sick, twisted ways despite knowing how wrong it is and then come back to make that cheddar. Good job, bro. The way you pulled that off is truly inspiring. Here's a plaque."

B.S.

Just give the award to someone who was injured last year and is successful this year. That's who should get it every year.
                                Last edited by Monomach; 12-25-2010, 12:52 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information