Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Michael Vick - The Greatest Comeback of All Time?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #46
    Originally posted by Don Vito View Post
    Deion Branch has a chance too, but Mike Williams probably has him beat as far as WR's are concerned.
    What exactly is Deion Branch coming back from? Not having Tom Brady as his quarterback?

    Comment


    • #47
      Originally posted by P-L View Post
      What exactly is Deion Branch coming back from? Not having Tom Brady as his quarterback?
      Obscurity. Not saying he's going to win but he went from Super Bowl MVP to nothing, now he's playing very well again. So yes, Brady.

      Comment


      • #48
        Originally posted by superman8456 View Post
        18 months in prison where he got exercise for at most 60 minutes a day! To come back from that with, what seems like, not losing a step at all is ridiculous. Let alone to play in the NFL and become a potential MVP candidate is pretty much impossible.
        That was the consequence for his actions. He's overcoming being a moron. Not something you honor.

        Comment


        • #49
          Originally posted by Rosebud View Post
          Dogs are cute and all, but I still am blown away by just how much people flipped their **** about Mike Vick. Especially when you have murderers still playing in the NFL, Stallworth, Leonard Little, Ray Lew...in summation Dogs < People, ergo Mike Vick > any of the murders who've played in the NFL.
          While I obviously agree humans are greater than dogs, and the PETA people piss me off quite often, Ray was never proven of anything. If anything he had knowledge of a murder that he kept quiet. And what Stallworth and Little did was wreckless to the highest degree, and not premeditated. Neither of them should be in the league. However I still think what Vick did was more heinous than anyone. They systematic murder by drowning, electricution, and hanging of several dogs is something only someone really evil could do. I would like to think I don't know anyone who could be that evil. However I do know people who have been stupid enough to drive drunk, including myself, just thankfully haven't hurt themselves or others.

          And that argument that he has the right to earn a living after jail drives me crazy. Yes he has the right. But he can go work at Walmart. Any regular person who is convicted of a felon doesn't just go back to their old job after their time in prison.
          Last edited by Jughead10; 12-25-2010, 12:35 PM.

          Comment


          • #50
            Definitely the greatest comeback of all time. He came back even better than when he left. I could care less what he does with his property in his private time.

            Comment


            • #51
              What if Vick owned a cattle farm??
              Would people be OK with him electrocuting Bessie, causing cerebral hemorrhages by shattering the cow's skull, or slitting its jugular veins and allowing said cow to bleed to death, would people be less outraged because the cow would afterwards be harvested for beef products??

              Dogfighting is NOT to the death, it's mainly a submission sport or when another dog quits fighting. Yeah it's too bad that Vick had no use for dogs that were unwilling to fight, but why isn't MV allowed to move on from the horrific mistake of dogfighting after serving his federally mandated time in prison??

              Some of yall really need to come down South, where pitbulls and wild pig matches are all the rage.
              IMO Jamal Lewis acting as a middle man for a cocaine deal is much worse than Vick's crime.

              I like dogs.
              But I LOVE my species more.

              Comment


              • #52
                I think that is great post. But I think to further punish Vick by excluding him from CBPotY and MVP for past crimes is wrong. He served his time and yes you should be able to win for coming back period. Being gone for two years in your prime in PRISON and then playing at a level we haven't seen since Randall Cunningham's MVP season is more than worthy.

                Comment


                • #53
                  I don't know about you guys, but Michael Vick was awesome at the beginning of the season; I thought he was untouchable.

                  But now he has quietly become so overrated that I cannot comprehend it. In the last 5 games he has thrown a pick in every single game, yes his stat line looks nice from the beginning of the season, but he just hasn't been as good since throwing that first pick.

                  As a player does he deserve the Comeback Player of the Year?

                  Well that depends on your definition of the Comeback Player of the Year same as how people define that an MVP must be on a winning team.

                  If your definition is ,loosely, any player out of football or insignificant the prior year who comes back to play at a very high level amongst his peers. Than yes Michael Vick is in fact the comeback player. Even though I believe he has recently been overrated, he still has won games for his team and even with the interceptions played well albeit not as great as everyone bleats. Combine that with his outstanding early season statistics he is the best player to make a "comeback."

                  On the other hand, If you believe comeback player of the year belongs to someone with an injury that debilitated them the year before or hindered their perfromance, then he is obviously not your man maybe someone like Osi (not sure if he qualifies this year though since he did have like 8 sacks last year) is your man then.

                  Unless there is a clear cut definition that I have no idea about then your choice is very subjective upon your belief on the definition of the award.

                  EDIT: Also enough with the strawman arguments in this thread, Vick did what he did and under the justice system of the United States he was found guilty and he served the sentence he was determined. There is nothing around it. He did it. It is done. It is over. Now he is back in the football league. This has nothing to do with Stallworth, or cattle, or Ray Lewis, or anyone else convicted of a crime. It's about Vick and the CPOTY.
                  Last edited by Malaka; 12-25-2010, 01:19 PM.

                  Bone Krusher, the best

                  Comment


                  • #54
                    Originally posted by Malaka View Post
                    I don't know about you guys, but Michael Vick was awesome at the beginning of the season; I thought he was untouchable.

                    But now he has quietly become so overrated that I cannot comprehend it. In the last 5 games he has thrown a pick in every single game, yes his stat line looks nice from the beginning of the season, but he just hasn't been as good since throwing that first pick.

                    As a player does he deserve the Comeback Player of the Year?

                    Well that depends on your definition of the Comeback Player of the Year same as how people define that an MVP must be on a winning team.

                    If your definition is ,loosely, any player out of football or insignificant the prior year who comes back to play at a very high level amongst his peers. Than yes Michael Vick is in fact the comeback player. Even though I believe he has recently been overrated, he still has won games for his team and even with the interceptions played well albeit not as great as everyone bleats. Combine that with his outstanding early season statistics he is the best player to make a "comeback."

                    On the other hand, If you believe comeback player of the year belongs to someone with an injury that debilitated them the year before or hindered their perfromance, then he is obviously not your man maybe someone like Osi (not sure if he qualifies this year though since he did have like 8 sacks last year) is your man then.

                    Unless there is a clear cut definition that I have no idea about then your choice is very subjective upon your belief on the definition of the award.
                    Really now? He's doing so much to both open up the run game and cover for an absolutely porous defense. What he does for a team cannot, and never will be, measured by pure statistics. Did you not see that game against the Giants last week? That is just an downright unreal level of football.

                    I think a lot of people are selling what he's done short. He's not just coming back from prison. The guy was an absolute social pariah - amongst the most hated people in the entire country. Everyone - from media to fans to NFL people - began downplaying his impact and the value of what he did for Atlanta, calling him an average player who you could never win anything of significance with. Not only that, but he was bankrupt from people essentially stealing and imbezzling money from him.


                    What he's come back from is nothing short of incredible. Is it his fault he put himself in that situation? Sure. But how does he not deserve credit for everything he's overcome?

                    Comment


                    • #55
                      honestly, when I thought people here couldn't get any dumber. I have read some of the dumbest bull **** ever.
                      Does he deserve Comeback player of the year? Yeah, i'll give him that. his level of play has been oustanding
                      Greatest comeback ever? get the hell out of here. Yea, he stopped brutally murdering animals, went to jail, and then came back to the NFL. he came back from his own stupidty? Not disrupting the natural order? This is just stupid.
                      And I swear, my IQ dropped a good 20+ points from reading funbuncher's post at the top of this page...and probably some from superman. dear lord.
                      We ALL bleed scarlet
                      New York Giants Super Bowl 46 Champs
                      UNITED: I actually attend the college I root for
                      Originally posted by PalmerToCJ
                      BTW, if it's 3rd and 97... I'm throwing a screen pass to Brian Leonard and he will convert.

                      Comment


                      • #56
                        Originally posted by yourfavestoner View Post
                        Really now? He's doing so much to both open up the run game and cover for an absolutely porous defense. What he does for a team cannot, and never will be, measured by pure statistics. Did you not see that game against the Giants last week? That is just an downright unreal level of football.

                        I think a lot of people are selling what he's done short. He's not just coming back from prison. The guy was an absolute social pariah - amongst the most hated people in the entire country. Everyone - from media to fans to NFL people - began downplaying his impact and the value of what he did for Atlanta, calling him an average player who you could never win anything of significance with. Not only that, but he was bankrupt from people essentially stealing and imbezzling money from him.


                        What he's come back from is nothing short of incredible. Is it his fault he put himself in that situation? Sure. But how does he not deserve credit for everything he's overcome?
                        I didn't say he played terrible nor did I point out that specific game, I merely pointed out the last 5 games, in which he has thrown a pick in every single one.

                        I do not doubt his importance to the team, have you seen Kolb play? Vick is the MVP of the Eagles without a doubt.

                        If you read on I write that I would choose Vick as the CPOTY, his play at the beginning of the year combined with some solid play has him easily written in at the spot for me I was just elaborating on the only reason he shouldn't be the winner and that is the definition of the award.

                        Vick has played excellent but has still been overrated to a degree. He absolutely massacred my favorite team, I do not doubt that, but that has little relevance to the way everyone praises Vick. His play is not as good as it was before that is all I inferred and if you disagree you don;t have to look at the statline you can just look at the scores of Eagles' games they've slowly been getting closer, and not to mention a bad loss to the Bears.

                        I may dislike the Eagles, but I will not let that cloud my judgement. Vick is the Comeback Player of the Year in my honest opinion, but has recently become overrated in eyes of media and the fans.

                        Bone Krusher, the best

                        Comment


                        • #57
                          Originally posted by scottyboy View Post
                          honestly, when I thought people here couldn't get any dumber. I have read some of the dumbest bull **** ever.
                          Does he deserve Comeback player of the year? Yeah, i'll give him that. his level of play has been oustanding
                          Greatest comeback ever? get the hell out of here. Yea, he stopped brutally murdering animals, went to jail, and then came back to the NFL. he came back from his own stupidty? Not disrupting the natural order? This is just stupid.
                          And I swear, my IQ dropped a good 20+ points from reading funbuncher's post at the top of this page...and probably some from superman. dear lord.
                          LOL!!

                          That's cool. You're not the first (or last) to go upside my head about being pro-MV.

                          But what bothered me the most about Vick's case is that dogfighting only became a federal offense in May 2007, Vick was charged in July 2007.

                          Just dumb ******* luck IMO.

                          Before then, especially in the South, it was a misdemeanor crime. You paid a fine and lost your dogs.
                          Up until the 1960s, dogfighting was a legally sanctioned sport by the United Kennel Club.
                          It's been historically one of the most popular underground sports throughout many rural states, and I always felt the gut level outrage was in part media driven.

                          WHat happened to PETA picketing any stadium where MV played??

                          And about equating the slaughter of livestock to dogfighting, there are hundreds of thousands of vegans who see no difference at all.

                          I only wondered morally if football fans saw a huge chasm of difference between the two, besides the fact that one is illegal and one is not, (unless you chose to slaughter and butcher a cow in your backyard!!).
                          Last edited by FUNBUNCHER; 12-29-2010, 12:52 PM.

                          Comment


                          • #58
                            Are people really back to excuse making about Vick's crimes? If he did nothing wrong why did he keep it secret and then deny it for a long time? Seriously, just stop with the excuses. The mods should just ban that whole subject.

                            Comment


                            • #59
                              i have ZERO problem with Vick coming back and his play has been absolutely MVP level. I'm not going to discredit that at all.
                              I won't go into how ****** up, sick and stupid dog fighting is...but Vick gets absolutely no sympathy for his brutal treatment of dogs and going to jail. that's his own fault. You cannot justify that in anyway. because of WHAT he did, he shouldn't be praised as "greatest comeback ever". i believe that's for people who come back from things they can't control, not from being a scumbag and going to prison for brutality towards animals and well...you know...breakin the law.
                              and hey, inbreeding and incest is also common in the South...along with dog figthing, so more power to you.
                              jesus christ.
                              We ALL bleed scarlet
                              New York Giants Super Bowl 46 Champs
                              UNITED: I actually attend the college I root for
                              Originally posted by PalmerToCJ
                              BTW, if it's 3rd and 97... I'm throwing a screen pass to Brian Leonard and he will convert.

                              Comment


                              • #60
                                Vick didn't get sentenced to jail just for dog fighting. He got 18 months for operating a gambling ring that crossed state boundaries, thus racketeering. The government doesn't care about him killing a dog, it's PETA and the news organizations playing that up. If Vick ran/shot a dog, he wouldn't even sniff what Stallworth got. It's the operating an illegal business without paying proper taxes that ****** him up.

                                You can kill people just don't screw the government out of its money and you're fine.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X

                                Debug Information