Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Michael Vick - The Greatest Comeback of All Time?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That is a very good point. He wasn't even going to get caught until the Federal Government got involved due to the instate activity. The DA in Virginia was completely incompetent and there is no way Vick would have been convicted by the state.

Comment

I'm sick of seeing "oh you should come to the south, that is complete commonplace here!11!1!1." That is the most ridiculous argument I think I've ever seen in regards to this. It might happen, but it IS a big deal there too. Downplaying that is flat out ********.

Originally posted by fenikz
      His soft D really turns me off
      ** RIP themaninblack. You will be missed. **

Comment

He's still a low-life, which spoils it for me completely. I admit that Vick is a great talent, but he really shouldn't be in the NFL. I'm pretty shocked at how quickly and neatly the birthday party shooting has been swept under the rug. Lets re-cap. Vick's co-defendant in the dog fighting case gets into some type of altercation with MV and gets shot (by the invisible man, apparently) 5 minutes after Vick leaves. He shouldn't be associating with him anyway and most likely violated several protocals of his probation with the federal government and the NFL.

Great talent, but shouldn't be an NFL player, IMO. I feel like he's lost that privilege. If Goodell was the disciplinarian he makes himself out to be, he would have suspended Vick for the season just to be careful. Now Vick #7 kids jerseys are flying off of the shelves. Scary thought.
        aka KGB Chicken

Comment

Oh, well if San Diego Chicken, moral judge of the universe deems him to have lost his NFL privilege let it be so.

Comment

Well hey, if Shiver disagrees, he MUST be right!

Comment

You don't like it, don't watch the games, don't buy NFL merchandise. Last time I checked there is something called the free market where a player like Michael Vick, who PAID for his crimes, is eligible to return to employment/society.

So would you be in favor of laws that prohibit anyone with a criminal record to be ineligible to work related bonuses across the board? Why should that kind of holier than thou attitude only be applied in the world of sports?

Comment

No, you're absolutely right Shiver, and if anyone disagrees with your opinion they are DEAD WRONG.

Comment

Well, in this case, yes absolutely. Unless you think that all former convicts should not have opportunities for employment, or even being rewarded for their work if they do excel, due to past sins is acceptable in American society. Like I said, don't give the NFL your hard earned money if you don't like it.
                  Last edited by Shiver; 12-25-2010, 04:21 PM.

Comment

It's Roger Goodell's policy and his words that are the discussion here, Shiver, not what I think. I think Vick's a lowlife scumbucket. Goodell is trying (not very hard) to keep lowlife thugs out of his league. Lie to us then and let every thug back in the league and reverse the suspensions you gave to people like Pac-Man and Tank Williams, and Ben Roethlisberger who was exonerated much in the same manner that Vick was for the shooting, minus the prior history.
                    aka KGB Chicken

Comment

Just so you know Goodell was and is dead wrong in the suspensions he gave out. Especially when he superseded the criminal justice system. It is really telling how weak the NFLPA is that they can't even stand up to a commissioner that punishes players for nothing more than hearsay and conjecture with no legitimate course of appeal and arbitration. It was in his power to do, but it was an abuse of said power.

Comment

Originally posted by Shiver View Post
                        You don't like it, don't watch the games, don't buy NFL merchandise. Last time I checked there is something called the free market where a player like Michael Vick, who PAID for his crimes, is eligible to return to employment/society.

So would you be in favor of laws that prohibit anyone with a criminal record to be ineligible to work related bonuses across the board? Why should that kind of holier than thou attitude only be applied in the world of sports?
                        Let me answer that question. No, I wouldn't be in favor of such laws. You seem to be under the impression that the free market only goes one way. Corporations are absolutely allowed to discriminate on the basis of prior criminal acts and personal conduct. If Vick doesn't like it, he can go play in the UFL, or flip burgers for all I care. He deserves to. That's my opinion, but I don't apologize for it.
                        aka KGB Chicken

Comment

They can, they didn't, Vick is now in the league. Now that he is employed he is completely eligible to whatever performance recognition there is in his employment.

Comment

Just so you know Goodell was and is dead wrong in the suspensions he gave out. Especially when he superseded the criminal justice system. It is really telling how weak the NFLPA is that they can't even stand up to a commissioner that punishes players for nothing more than hearsay and conjecture with no legitimate course of appeal and arbitration. It was in his power to do, but it was an abuse of said power.
                            The NFL is a business. Any other business can suspend or fire an employee charged with a felony. They don't have to wait and see if that person is convicted in a court of law. Why should NFL players get special treatment?

Comment

How is he wrong? It's not the ******* criminal justice system. The NFL is a business and it can do whatever the hell it wants. Obviously it can't discriminate, but this is assumed knowledge within any business practice. Not to mention players can appeal these punishments, but the vast majority don't or end up losing out.

If you don't want to be fined or suspended then keep your name out of the paper for negative reasons. It's not hard to do, it's just most of the time players put themselves in ****** situations, whether they are the catalyst of the event or not.

In regards to your other posts, about giving second chances to convicted criminals, I agree - but you're acting like this is a common occurrence. I'd love to hear how many people who had good jobs went back to their former employer and received a significant amount of money, rewards, etc. after committing and serving time for a felony. I'm guessing very, very, few.

For someone with such strong opinions Shiver, I would presume you'd respect other peoples too. San Diego Chicken probably isn't alone in his idea of thinking Vick and others shouldn't be allowed back in the league, and honestly, because it's a tremendous privilege to play in the NFL, he's got a pretty valid point.

Oh, and not to mention Vick has been given NUMEROUS chances to redeem himself. You're acting like people won't give Vick a job to work as a bag boy in the grocery store (which many stores wont to felons). He's still getting paid millions of dollars and will get a huge pay day this off-season.

I can certainly see how people wouldn't want Vick getting the Comeback Player of the Year Award. Vick has been given his second chance by being allowed back in the league. Most people here don't seem to care if he's back in the league either, it's just some people think it's idiotic to award the guy for being a scumbag and having to come back from that.

It's one thing to give second chances (which I'm a HUGE believer it), but why in the world should anyone reward stupidity, and despicable actions?
                              Last edited by Forenci; 12-25-2010, 05:22 PM.
                              (shameless self-promotion)
                              Like video games? Subscribe to my Youtube Channel!
                              https://www.youtube.com/user/Forenci

Comment

Originally posted by Forenci View Post
                                How is he wrong? It's not the ******* criminal justice system. The NFL is a business and it can do whatever the hell it wants. Obviously it can't discriminate, but this is assumed knowledge within any business practice. Not to mention players can appeal these punishments, but the vast majority don't or end up losing out.

If you don't want to be fined or suspended then keep your name out of the paper for negative reasons. It's not hard to do, it's just most of the time players put themselves in ****** situations, whether they are the catalyst of the event or not.

In regards to your other posts, about giving second chances to convicted criminals, I agree - but you're acting like this is a common occurrence. I'd love to hear how many people who had good jobs went back to their former employer and received a significant amount of money, rewards, etc. after committing and serving time for a felony. I'm guessing very, very, few.

For someone with such strong opinions Shiver, I would presume you'd respect other peoples too. San Diego Chicken probably isn't alone in his idea of thinking Vick and others shouldn't be allowed back in the league, and honestly, because it's a tremendous privilege to play in the NFL, he's got a pretty valid point.

Oh, and not to mention Vick has been given NUMEROUS chances to redeem himself. You're acting like people won't give Vick a job to work as a bag boy in the grocery store (which many stores wont to felons). He's still getting paid millions of dollars and will get a huge pay day this off-season.

I can certainly see how people wouldn't want Vick getting the Comeback Player of the Year Award. Vick has been given his second chance by being allowed back in the league. Most people here don't seem to care if he's back in the league either, it's just some people think it's idiotic to award the guy for being a scumbag and having to come back from that.

It's one thing to give second chances (which I'm a HUGE believer it), but why in the world should anyone reward stupidity, and despicable actions?
                                I think what it comes down to is whether or not a person believes he really has become a changed man and he feels bad for what he has done or that he is just playing along with it and hasn't changed at all. I certainly hope hes honest when he says he understands whathe did was wrong and he wishes he could take it back, but no one can know for certain. Thus far he's done what he's needed to do to prove he's changed but like I said who can say? What it's come down to here is whether people believe what he did was unforgivable, or that he really is sorry for what he's done, realizes he made a mistake and is trying to get back to the top. If were talking about CPOTY then no one has missed as much time as he has and then come back to this elite of a level, regardless of what he's done.

Originally posted by WMD
                                Jesse realizing Walt was Santa Claus could really shake things up.
                                Originally posted by gpngc
                                I don't know how old you are, but if you can get to 24/25 without getting arrested or killed, you've done well for yourself lol.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information