Mike Singletary fired

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Malaka View Post
    Who was the last great player to be a decent Head Coach? Ditka pre-New Orleans?

I know several head coaches were ex-NFL players but I don't think any currently were ever even at a pro bowl level with Singletary gone.
    I think most successful NFL players are content spending their days doing color commentary or kicking back on the beach. Guys like Singletary and Ditka are the exception...guys with such passion for the game that they wanna try and rise up the coaching ranks like they did as a player. Bart Starr also failed as a head coach. That does not mean former Packers QB Joe Blow had a right to spit venom at Starr while he coached them. I don't think any player should blow up at any coach honestly. Shows a lack of maturity, lack of stability and obviously shows you have little respect for authority. Even if its Rich Kotite...be a man and shut up in front of cameras and cuss him out under breath after the game.

Comment

I think he'll end up as a DC somewhere in the NFL. Someone should be willing to take the risk as him in that capacity.

Beastly sig by BoneKrusher

Super Bowl XLIV Champions
      WHO DAT!

Comment

Originally posted by JPP90 View Post
        I was waiting for someone to mention to say that name lol Thank you...he'd be in the UFL now if it weren't for Singletary and he'd be the first to tell you that. I'm not saying singletary is a great coach but especially if you're Troy Smith, show the man some respect. I do think he could still be a successful coach elsewhere though down the road. I think Singletary's biggest problem is not relating to the modern day athlete, and just look at Troy Smith for evidence. Most of these guys are pampered from their JV days nowadays and it just gets worse everyday. The days of hollering and motivating guys are over..hell Coughlin learned that the way and there was almost a mutiny on the Giants against him from day 1. Singletary is old school and I respect that. The modern NFL player, is not. They're all about diamond earrings and babydolls. He's gotta come to grips with that now.
        Or Mike Singletary just doesn't know what the heck he's doing. This is the more logical conclusion. It has nothing to do with the players. And for your to criticize tons of players you don't even know makes the angle you're trying to push ridiculous. Think about it. Mike Singletary got his job by being a linebacker coach first. That's it. That is the closest he had in terms of experience. No coordinator job, no nothing. He was clearly unqualified for his job and it showed. Yelling and screaming and all of that mantra doesn't mean squat if you don't know your X's and O's. Even if you don't, you can still hire the right people. Singletary couldn't even do that. No offensive coordinator wanted to work for him because they knew that all Singletary wanted to do was stick to his conservative philosophy of running the football. And that's why we had to settle for Jimmy Raye.

As for Vernon Davis, the guy has always had talent. He's just never played on a team that has been worth a darn. Especially in terms of offense. The fact that he's putting up decent numbers for a tight end on the 49ers says something about how good this player can be if he actually had a quarterback and or a coaching staff that utilized his strengths. Mike Martz and Jim Hostler certainly didn't do that. All they did was make him block on the line.

Originally posted by JPP90 View Post
        I think most successful NFL players are content spending their days doing color commentary or kicking back on the beach. Guys like Singletary and Ditka are the exception...guys with such passion for the game that they wanna try and rise up the coaching ranks like they did as a player. Bart Starr also failed as a head coach. That does not mean former Packers QB Joe Blow had a right to spit venom at Starr while he coached them. I don't think any player should blow up at any coach honestly. Shows a lack of maturity, lack of stability and obviously shows you have little respect for authority. Even if its Rich Kotite...be a man and shut up in front of cameras and cuss him out under breath after the game.
        People aren't like computers. There is only so much that someone can take. And the coach isn't always in the right 100% of the time. Not saying that players should rise up if they have a problem whenever they want, but at the same time I am saying that a blowup in front of the head coach on national television isn't as big a deal as folks make it out to be. If you're crowning Singletary for his emotional passion for the game, then you can't crucify the players for doing the same thing, and or assume that when they yell it's out of personal malice or it's because they show a lack of authority. Respect is earned, not given. That goes for coaches as well.
        Last edited by Ness; 12-27-2010, 04:37 AM.

"Every light must fade, every heart return to darkness!"
        -San Francisco 49ers: Five Time Super Bowl Champions-
        Originally posted by Borat
        Oh, my bad. Didn't realize SWDC was the pinnacle of class and grace.

Comment

Originally posted by diabsoule View Post
          I think he'll end up as a DC somewhere in the NFL. Someone should be willing to take the risk as him in that capacity.
          I really doubt that. NFL linebackers coach or college head coach.

The only way it might work for him to be a defensive coordinator is if it's for a defensive head coach who is really running the show. Basically a dummy coordinator, like Joe Philbin is for Mike McCarthy on offense.

Comment

he wasn't even a good LBer coach, and my understanding of why he got the job was because he was a good motivator and speaker, not because of his coaching abilities

Comment

Originally posted by Ness View Post
              Has there ever been a coach that has had a sideline explosion with two starting quarterbacks in the same season?
              Troy Smith is not a starting quarterback.

Comment

Whens the last time they won a playoff game? 2002? After a while it is not the coach it is the organization. Someone needs to learn to draft. Alex Smith, Kentwan Balmer, Rashaun woods? Fail
                Sam Bradford will be a bust- 2/24/2010

Colts Cardinals Bulls Hurricanes

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Sanders Dreadlock View Post
                  Whens the last time they won a playoff game? 2002? After a while it is not the coach it is the organization. Someone needs to learn to draft. Alex Smith, Kentwan Balmer, Rashaun woods? Fail
                  The team fired Steve Mariucci after winning a Wild Card game and then losing to Tampa Bay in their Super Bowl year in 2002.

Anyway, you are right management has been a problem. We had Eddie DeBartolo who was awesome but he had to give up the team in 2000 thanks to a corruption case with the Louisiana governor. His sister and brother-in-law took over the team but they didn't really give a **** about the team it seemed. They hired the pathetically bad Dennis Erickson/Terry Donahue as a coach/GM combo (Kwame Harris and Rashaun Woods as 1st rounders). The next move was to give Mike Nolan both head coach and general manager powers. He had no experience in either position.

In 2008, they pretty much ceded control over the team to their 27 year-old son. He actually seems to care a lot about the team. His only move so far has been dumping Mike Nolan and promoting Singletary. Hopefully his second is better...

Comment

Anyone try and lip read that conversation between Singletary and Smith? I looked like Mike was telling him to stop crying and Smith was getting obviously pissed for getting called out like that.

Bonekrusher.

Originally posted by JordanTaber
                    Football...it's rocket surgery now, folks.

Comment

What's sad is that the 49ers could have easily won their division with a different coach.

Singletary was never HC material. He's a coordinator, at best. I don't know what the ownership group was thinking keeping him in as long as they did.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Sanders Dreadlock View Post

Wait wait wait wait wait. Lets not pretend that 99% of you didn't think Alex Smith was the greatest thing since sliced bread in 2005.

Comment

Originally posted by bigbuc View Post
                          I think they did this to get the jump on Jon Gruden. Only reason why you fire a guy with one game left that hasn't lost the locker room is so you can go after a coach thats out of work and won't talk to team with a head coach still in place.
                          No, they did it now so they can get started hiring a GM and he can start the process of hiring a HC. And make no mistake about, Harbaugh is first and foremost on Jed's wishlist. They already had a couple of dinners together. Its Harbaugh's job if he wants it. He just has to make sure the new GM is on board with it if he does come to Niners. Personally, I would love to have Harbaugh. Not too high on Gruden. Much rather have Billick over Gruden to be honest.

Comment

So the Cards and the 49ers play this weekend.

Currently the Cards have the 5th pick and the 49ers the 6th. The team that loses the game essentially gets a a shot at a better QB prospect while simultaneously stopping a division rival from getting that QB.

Shrewd move by the 49ers to dump Singletary now instead of waiting until the end of the season.

Comment

Originally posted by RufusMcDaniel
                              My favourite memory
                              The hot blonde feeling herself up??? I agree. :)

Originally posted by Ness View Post
                              If there is one thing I learned as a fan, it's that you better hire a qualified man to be the head coach of a football team. I think Jed York learned this lesson the hard way as well. Mike Singletary was terrible. His 1985 mantra never worked and had no hope of working in the first place...and his approach to how things should be run was not conventional or logical. There is a reason why no one wanted to work under him when he was interviewing offensive coordinators, and there is a reason why he clashed with two of his starting quarterbacks on the sidelines this season. The guy got this job as a hand-me-down instead of actually earning it by moving up the ladder. From a linebackers coach straight to head coach was how he rose to the top. It was doomed for failure from the beginning. And in time it showed that he had absolutely no idea what he was doing. At least Mike Nolan was a coordinator to his credit...and may be a head coach again in the NFL. I don't think Singletary is ever going to be a head coach in the NFL ever again.

I'm glad he's gone. Time to start celebrating.
                              Amazingly, I agree with everything you just said but for the record, I have wanted a veteran experienced head coach since Mariucci was fired. I wanted Dennis Green in 2003 over Erickson and Holmgren over Nolan in 2005 who was rumored to leave SEA for SF but the Yorks didnt want to give him the money that he wanted and well, here we are.

I doubt it but im hoping that Jed York has a brain in his head. If he does, he'll do whatever it takes to hire Holmgren as the GM, Gruden as the HC and go from there. Any college guy or assistant who's just happy to have a shot at being a HC and we'll have this same exact conversation in two years from now.

Bright side is that Singletary is gone but im still nervous and paranoid as to who York is going to hire. Oh well, have to wait and see what happens.

Comment

Originally posted by Crickett View Post
                                Wait wait wait wait wait. Lets not pretend that 99% of you didn't think Alex Smith was the greatest thing since sliced bread in 2005.
                                Considering that at least half the board had Aaron Rodgers rated higher and there was another small group of people who thought the 49ers should draft Braylon Edwards 1st overall, I don't see how you can make that claim. In fact, Alex Smith was the least hyped "top quarterback" on this board since I've joined.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information