No announcement yet.

Best DT in NFL?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Remember when Marcus Stroud and John Henderson were good? Random thought of the day.

Comment

Question: why is nobody talking about Tommie Harris in this thread?

Harris and Julius Peppers are what makes maybe the best 4-3 defensive front in football work.

Comment

Originally posted by Morton View Post

Harris and Julius Peppers are what makes maybe the best 4-3 defensive front in football work.

Common sense tells me to write this off as a joke but I'm not completely sure.

Comment

Originally posted by yo123 View Post
          Common sense tells me to write this off as a joke but I'm not completely sure.
          He has to be kidding. No one thinks Tommie Harris is good now.

Except for Tommie Harris, that is.

He does do a solid job of holding down the bench for about 40 minutes of each game, though.
          Last edited by Monomach; 12-27-2010, 07:46 PM.

Comment

In my head, I've somehow convinced myself the Bears would have won the Superbowl if he had played in it. Interior pressure was the only thing missing defensively. They got dinked and dunked to death.

But yes, he's ******* terrible now.

Comment

You might be the biggest ******* moron in the history of NFLDC. I really think you should reconsider waking up tomorrow morning. I really don't know where someone, who pretends to watch so much film on every player and thinks he is the end all be all of judging talent, types such moronic words. One you think Tommie Harris is one of the best DT's in the game. He is ******* awful. He is almost as bad as DT as you are at responding to threads. At least promise yourself that you will read what you type before submitting a reply. I have never seen such atrocious posting from one person over the course of one month than you. Do you watch football?
              my scent?...like making love to a lumberjack
              <TACKLE> i will ngata give you a bj raji
              <+BOE> Scott, with Burfict's character concerns (whether legit or not) you think Pioli would draft him. :D
              <+ScottWright> Why not. Baldwin does need a sparring partner...
              Originally posted by Hermstheman83
              What's with the hate on Ricky Stanzi? Those youtube clips of him with the hulk hogan theme music instantly make him better than Luck.

Comment

Damn, BOE. You scary.

Comment

Hey uh..Jay Ratliff isn't bad.

Comment

Originally posted by yourfavestoner View Post
                    Remember when Marcus Stroud and John Henderson were good? Random thought of the day.
                    You have Alualu and Pot Roast now which I think will eventually be better.

Comment

It's funny when people go off reputation from past seasons and BSPN pundit talk as basis for their evaluation of players rather than actual 2010 play.

Comment

Originally posted by yourfavestoner View Post
                        Hey uh..Jay Ratliff isn't bad.
                        Remember when jay Ratliff was good? Oh wait, he still is.....

In my head, I've somehow convinced myself the Bears would have won the Superbowl if he had played in it. Interior pressure was the only thing missing defensively. They got dinked and dunked to death.
                        Agree 100%. Tommie Harris was a dominant DT for awhile in what is the most physically demanding position in fb. Hasn't been the same since that injury that kept him out of the Bears SB loss.

Comment

Granted I haven't watched Green Bay but a couple times this year, but don't opposing runners avg 4.6/rush or something like it? Doesn't speak too well for Raji

1)Ngata
                          2)Suh
                          3)Hampton
                          4)Rubin (maybe the most underrated guy in the league)

GO BROWNS!

Comment

Originally posted by Scott Wright
                            I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.

Comment

Here's my understanding of the tackle debate as it relates to the 3-4. Please correct me where I'm wrong. This is my third post, so please forgive me... I tend to ramble. This is a long post.

When talking about linemen in a 3-4 you have to remember that scheme is more important than alignment.

In a two gap 3-4, like the Patriots run... I believe (It's so hard to keep up with the changes year to year.) the nose tackle and defensive ends are generally asked to read and react, with their main responsibility being gap control depending on the read they have after the snap. This is a more passive style of play. They tend to line up the end in the 5 technique and the nose tackle in zero, right over the center.

In a one gap 3-4, like the 49ers and Chargers... (I believe the Chargers still one gap... they seemed like it when they played the 49ers.) The linemen are asked to penetrate and eliminate one gap, while trying to collapse the pocket and pressure the quarterback or stop runs in the backfield. This scheme tends to shift it's linemen over or under and has the ends playing 4,5,or 6 technique, depending on the play call and the nose tackle plays shaded zero or even 1 technique.

So, you're going to have different styles of players in different schemes. This makes the whole discussion a huge mess because every team runs a slight variation on a theme and uses each lineman slightly differently on top of base scheme. I honestly don't know enough about each team to tell who runs what scheme or what technique with each player. If you know what's up with each scheme or player, please let me know... this is good stuff.

Steelers run a one gap, I think. Hampton is a two gap nose tackle, though... right?

I really don't understand the Ravens defense. Ngata is super athletic and huge, so I understand why they play him at the end. Kelly Gregg is really more of a one gap nose tackle, though... isn't he? I thought that was why Ray Lewis was making comments about not being protected by the linemen when they ran the 3-4 before drafting Ngata.

Packers run one gap because of Capers, so that makes sense. From what I've seen of Raji, he seems to be in attack mode all game.

I was really impressed with Antonio Garay when my 49ers played the Chargers. I can't imagine he's anything but a one gap nose tackle. Guy is a bit of an athletic freak... he beat the center David Baas off the snap before Baas got out of his stance. Then he got a penalty later in the game for trying to jump off the backs of 49ers linemen to block a field goal. Was wacky.... 49ers suck, so it may have made him look good. Heh.

That's about the extent of my knowledge of other teams. I don't know about the Chiefs or Jets... I imagine they follow the same scheme as the teams the coaches come from, so the Jets would be like the Ravens (whatever that means, I have no idea), and the Chiefs would run a two gap system. I can't remember who else runs the 3-4 consistently other than that....

Bottom line... it's very hard to tell the difference between one gap 3-4 defensive ends and defensive tackles. I'd include all three down linemen in a 3-4 as tackles for this discussion. They are all basically hybrids anyway, right? Many 3-4 ends move to tackle in a 4-3 nickle package.

Sorry for the long rambling post, I just find this stuff really interesting and it'd be neat to get the perspective of fans from other teams.

Now I'll give my list of tackles that aren't getting the love that I think they should be:

1) Casey Hampton

2) Justin Smith

3) Darnell Dockett

4) Antonio Garay

5) Fred Robbins

There's a bunch of others, but these really stick out to me. Justin Smith is the best, though... he has an Anheuser-Busch tattoo. That makes him win by default.

Originally posted by bigbluedefense
                              Willis is a beast without labels.

Comment

I haven't watched the Chargers a lot this year but Garay has indeed been a boss. I've mentioned this before but it really stuck in my mind, he is so explosive and powerful that he was able to physically lift and throw our RG (who isn't playing RG anymore) at Manning for a sack. Very impressive player. Weird how he can be a career backup for years and suddenly flip a switch and play like a top NT.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information