Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Giants exercise "buy-back" option on QB Manning's contract

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slu...v=st&type=lgns

EAST RUTHERFORD, New Jersey (Ticker) -- Eli Manning will be under center for the New York Giants for at least three more years.

The Giants on Monday officially established their long-term commitment to Manning, exercising a "buy-back" option on the quarterback's current contract.

As the top overall pick in the 2004 draft, Manning signed a six-year contract ranging from $45 million to $54 million. The deal, which included a rookie-record $20 million signing bonus, contained an incentive clause that allowed Manning to void the final two years.

This was an excellent decision for the Geeeee Men.

Eli is already a good QB and is going to be an excellent one. Glad to see that the Giants recognize that.

Comment

Originally posted by GiantRutgersFan View Post

Eli is already a good QB and is going to be an excellent one. Glad to see that the Giants recognize that.
      I'm surprised this thread wasn't made by you.

This is kind of an obvious move. The Giants aren't going to sit there and let a #1 overall pick Quarterback's contract expire.

Comment

i was surprised he didnt start it too.

good decision he a good qb and has more potential

Originally posted by Scott Wright
        Don't be a stranger. Jordyzzzz would want you to stick around. ;o)

Touch Fuzzy, Get Dizzy

Comment

Originally posted by GiantRutgersFan View Post

Eli Manning?
          RIP Sean Michael Taylor

Comment

He's a decent QB who flashes "very-goodness" for a streak, and then flashes "oh-my-god-what-the-hell-is-he-doingness" for a streak. He just needs consistency, and he'll be a lock for a top 10 QB.

Comment

Atleast they're staying committed to somebody. They should've let go of Tom Coughlin and got another coach but they made one wise decision

Follow me on Twitter! http://twitter.com/#!/aMo_Captain

Comment

How can they sign him for three more years. It's one thing if he an elite quarterback by now. But, as of now, there's no telling how he'll do. The Giants are potentially throwing millions of dollars out the window.

Comment

Although I'm not an Eli Manning hater by any means, I think that he would be a good candidate for a change of scenery. The Giants seem like they need to rebuild at this point (they're already half way there with the defense). All of the personalities don't work to well, and they could use some more lunch pail type of guys who could come in and get the job done, or a veteran quarterback who's a proven leader. That said, the whole "egotistical Giants" probably seems like more of a problem because of all the scrutiny because of the New York media.

Comment

If David Carr got a buy-back that gave his contract 3 more years, then I'm sure that Eli Manning's buy-back was a good deal. I'm sure the move makes financial sense for the Giants. I think it is a smart move and gives the team some sense of continuity going forward.

I am "America's Poster"... http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/for...9&postcount=25

Comment

This move says what Giant fans have been saying for a long time now: The problem isn't Eli Manning.

Whats the problem? Thats a complicated question with lots of answers. The WR core gets no separation, and is aging. The oline is average. The coach runs Air Coryell in the hardest stadium to throw in, he never runs the ball, and never adjusts his playbook, nor his playcalling. We have divas with attitudes...the list goes on and on. But from watching Eli Manning, being an X and O junky, and a diehard Giant fan, I can tell you this: Eli Manning is not the problem, not entirely at least. If I had to point the finger at one guy, its Tom Coughlin. He's the guy who's ruining Eli Manning's potential.

Comment

He's got a lot of potential, smart move.

Thanks to jackalope

Comment

Originally posted by bigbluedefense View Post
                          This move says what Giant fans have been saying for a long time now: The problem isn't Eli Manning.

Whats the problem? Thats a complicated question with lots of answers. The WR core gets no separation, and is aging. The oline is average. The coach runs Air Coryell in the hardest stadium to throw in, he never runs the ball, and never adjusts his playbook, nor his playcalling. We have divas with attitudes...the list goes on and on. But from watching Eli Manning, being an X and O junky, and a diehard Giant fan, I can tell you this: Eli Manning is not the problem, not entirely at least. If I had to point the finger at one guy, its Tom Coughlin. He's the guy who's ruining Eli Manning's potential.
                          I agree with you, he's not the problem, but I would like to see him show a little more fire, though. I also agree with you that Coughlin is partly the problem. He contradicts himself with the whole "don't air your dirty laundry to the media", by doing it himself. He put the blame on Eli, which was ridiculous. If he has a problem with Eli's play, he should be telling Eli, not some reporters. He has no control over that lockeroom. My guess is that they'll fire him after this season(if he doesn't make or wiin a playoff game), since theres, potentially, going to be alot of good headcoaches on the market(I think Belichicks on the final year of his contract).

Comment

It's a good move by the Giants. I still think Eli will turn into a star very soon.

Comment

Eli is already a star based on his name and his potential. He has to perform this year, or else he is going to start losing his reputation. Eli does a lot of things well. He throws a good, catchable ball. He can beat teams deep or short. He can make all the throws. He starts of seasons killing everyone. The problem is that he doesn't hold up well under pressure, he will try to make throws that he can't to win games, he doesn't always make the extra read to find the open man, and as the season goes on, his mechanics have become iffy. The last 2 seasons, he has worn down, then his mechanics get messed up, then he struggles to fix them and his production drops. That's a function of poor OLine play and poor coaching.

I am "America's Poster"... http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/for...9&postcount=25

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information