No announcement yet.

Why we look the other way

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

what most of us need to remember, is its a hell of a lot of supplements out there now, that jack you up, that are not steroids...NO2, cell tech, creatine etc all get you super huge in a short amount of time, as well as muscle mass, and speed, those things are legal, and werent around as much back then, or nearly as advanced as they are now....

i find it hard to believe, that without that supplement merriman was caught with, he would be a bench player....but we shall see what type of year he has this year, id just say you cant call steroids everytime a player is really big or fast

Originally posted by Scott Wright
    I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.

Comment

Originally posted by neko4 View Post
      No. He has been the most dominate player in his league since jr high where he battled many family issues, poverty and growing up in a metro area with lots of violence.
      I fail to see why you brought this up. Unless, of course, you are pointing out the well known fact that poor people with bad histories never use illegal substances.

If that's the case, I agree entirely.

Comment

When accused, he didn't fight it so that tells me something about his guilt or innocence in the steroid matter. He's still a super stud whether on them or not but for me personally, just like Bonds, if you take them, one has to question your accomplishments.

Comment

Originally posted by frogstomp View Post
          I fail to see why you brought this up. Unless, of course, you are pointing out the well known fact that poor people with bad histories never use illegal substances.

If that's the case, I agree entirely.
          I'm saying that when he was younger he was as dominant then as he is today and his skills arent a direct result of steroids, but hard work.

Sig thanks to Bonekrusher

Comment

Originally posted by RaiderNation View Post
            one word........steriods
            two words: banned suplement

that does not mean steroids per say, so let's not make idiots out of ourselves.

Sig by Fenikz

I remember NFLDC
            don't tell anyone, but Charlie Casserly is a dope fiend

Comment

Originally posted by Shiver View Post
              I bet most players are on steroids. To be honest, I don't believe singling anyone out is the right course of action. After all, if we convict one freak athlete like Shawne Merriman, then we should scrutinize others like him. Brian Urlacher, Julius Peppers, Vernon Davis, etcetera, etcetera. Quite frankly, I don't care.
              Two of those three guys are amongst the best technical players at their position and are renowned work out warriors. Besides that neither player has a shady past. Peppers was pinged in his rookie season for ephedra that was in a protein shake he drank. He didn't even know it was in there. Urlacher hasn't had an infraction either. Merriman violated the steroid policy. Speculation as to which players juice and which don't is complete ********.

I thought a poster of your calibre would be smarter than to post something they can't substantiate and above that, that just sounds plain old like childish ********. There's another reason to dislike Merriman, he tarnishes the name of the sport and people in the league with no discernible history of questionable actions.

He violated the NFL's Steroid Policy...

Merriman's positive test was "definitely for steroids … not one of those supplement deals," said a source with knowledge of Merriman's suspension earlier Monday. Both the initial A sample and backup B sample came back positive, Mortensen reported.
              Above Per ESPN
              http://www.nfl.com/teams/story/SD/9744836
              http://football.about.com/b/a/257880.htm

Three sources enough proof for you?

Research then post before calling people idiots, however indirectly.

Comment

Originally posted by neko4 View Post
                I'm saying that when he was younger he was as dominant then as he is today and his skills arent a direct result of steroids, but hard work.
                Because everyone who dominates High School goes on to dominate the NFL...

And there are no people who have ever taken steroids in high school...

I'm not saying he's only good because of steroids, but your arguments about why he isn't taking them are stupid.

Comment

I don't think the public understands how many people in the NFL use HGH. Its in every single lockerroom.

Thats why I got a kick out of everyone saying that "Oh, I don't respect SD, theyre all HGH users"

Guess what, chances are there are at least 4 guys on your team that are using HGH as well. Merriman's rival, DeMarcus Ware...it would not shock me at all if he was on HGH. Heck, his measureables are actually more freakish than Merriman's, so would it really be that much of a shock?

How can a guy who weighs 30 pounds lighter than Merriman (who's on juice none the less) bench more? Think about it.

I wouldn't be surprised if Osi Umenyiora used it either. Nor would I be surprised if Peppers used it, especially with the Carolina steroid scandal. Same with Mario Williams. The Steeler's doctor just got caught ordering an assload of steroids and HGH from that pharmacy that got raided. You do the math, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out why he did that.

The 70s steelers were a juiced up team, another thing that football historians tend to overlook. Romanowski admitted to being on steroids. As did other players, like Alzado.

Its been in the sport for a long time. Alot of great athletes of the sport have been doing it. Its the NFL's dark little secret. Its only getting publicity now because of the headlines that baseball has gotten for it. But make no mistake, this is not new, nor is it any more of an epidemic in the sport than it was years ago.

Shawne Merriman is the posterchild for it now because the problem needs a person to associate it with. And he fits the bill. Im not saying what he did was right, nor am I saying that everyone's doing something, but to think that he's the only one would be rather naive.
                  Last edited by bigbluedefense; 03-20-2007, 10:15 AM.

Comment

Once again, I agree completely BBD. It would not surprise me if any player was found guilty of using HGH. It's simply too easy too attain, too easy to use, and too hard to test for for an obscene amount of players not be using it.

Remember, these athletes are competing for a paycheck, and this is a substance that could help them earn a substantial amount more than they'd be worth without it. It's EVERYWHERE. You'd be naive to think otherwise.

I just did a google search on "purchasing human growth hormone." Just look at all the responses. It's incredibly easy to get.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&c...ormone&spell=1

Comment

People who say Merriman's results are solely based on his steroid usage are either Merriman haters or too foolish to understand how steroids effect a person. I'm a Charger fan, and yes it pains to me to say it, but the truth is Merriman did fail a steroid test. That's not something I approve of or condone, but he failed one test, and took full accountability for it. Merriman is a player who had been tested numerous times by the league prior to the incident, and after the incident. It was the first test he failed, and since he failed it, he passed a number of tests proving he was clean for the entire season (his failed test took place over the summer). I know the effects of steroids don't wear off instantly, but they don't start instantly either. He was clean all those times before he failed his test, which is why I believe he did a one time thing, tried to cheat, which I know, is unacceptable, and got caught. He paid his punishment though. To say that the things he had done his rookie year, and for the majority of his soph year are solely based on steriods, and not countless practices and work on his technique is both naive and stupid.

EDIT: I didn't feel it was necesary to leave another post, but having read some more over the thread again, good post BBD i agree.
                      Last edited by JK17; 03-20-2007, 12:05 PM.

Comment

I don't doubt that there is rampant use of illegal substances across many of these major sports. Even with all the work that these people do, humans aren't supposed to get that big. Physiologically, it's not supposed to happen. There are photos from last year's combine. Mario Williams and Bunkley and a lot of other guys are ripped to a point that is superhuman. While they are working out all the time, no one should be able to look that huge.

It pains me to say it, but I have a feeling that Brian Dawkins is on some sort of steroids. He had a huge drop-off in 2005, then the last 2 seasons, he has busted out tremendously and returned to his pro-bowl form. He made a flying tackle against the Giants this year where he jumped 7-8 feet headfirst and crushed some guy. This is at age 33. While Dawk was always a bit of a freak, it doesn't make sense...

I am "America's Poster"... http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/for...9&postcount=25

Comment

Originally posted by JK17 View Post
                          People who say Merriman's results are solely based on his steroid usage are either Merriman haters or too foolish to understand how steroids effect a person.

That's not something I approve of or condone, but he failed one test, and took full accountability for it.
                          a) As soon as you said 'hater', i stopped taking your post seriously.

b) No he didn't. He made up excuses. That's not taking "full accountability".

Comment

Originally posted by frogstomp View Post
                            a) As soon as you said 'hater', i stopped taking your post seriously.

b) No he didn't. He made up excuses. That's not taking "full accountability".
                            A) I say hater for lack of a better word, and yeah to be honest that's proabably the first time I used that word in my life, so wow sorry. When you disregard an entire post based one word, I stop taking you seriously.

B) He said there was still a lot to be seen--which there was--and dropped his appeal of the suspension. He served his time, and apologized. That's full accountability.

Comment

I'm much more concerned with guys that drive drunk or beat their wives than I am with who takes steroids. Both are serious issues, but the former is more destructive to society and other people.

Nobody cares about your stupid fantasy team.

Comment

Originally posted by bearsfan_51 View Post
                                I'm much more concerned with guys that drive drunk or beat their wives than I am with who takes steroids. Both are serious issues, but the former is more destructive to society and other people.

Actually a very good point well made.

XBox 360 Gamertag: Bunj1986

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information