• Show
Clear All

• Why we look the other way

Why we look the other way
    By Chuck Klosterman
    ESPN The Magazine

This article appears in the March 26 issue of ESPN The Magazine

Shawne Merriman weighs 272 pounds.

This is six pounds less than Anthony Muņoz, probably the most dominating left tackle of all time. Shawne Merriman also runs the 40-yard dash in 4.61 seconds. When Jerry Rice attended the NFL draft combine in 1985, he reportedly ran a 4.60; Rice would go on to gain more than 23,000 all-purpose yards while scoring 207 career touchdowns.

You do not need Mel Kiper's hard drive to deduce what these numbers mean: As an outside linebacker, Shawne Merriman is almost as big as the best offensive tackle who ever played and almost as fast as the best wide receiver who ever played.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2...9&sportCat=nfl

---
    Discuss.
    ---

Dammit I cant figure out this damned new posting configuration.

Athletes now-a-days are given all necessary tools to succeed and become the best athlete possible. Back when Rice and Munoz were in football the technology and science behind athletics were minimal and today athletes can become as big as a linemen and run like a wideout. It's just the times!

Follow me on Twitter! http://twitter.com/#!/aMo_Captain

Comment

Also the average size and speed of athletes has changed. Merrimen is just an A+ guy nowadays whereas 20 years ago he would have been off the charts. Do I believe his greatness is because of roids...? No. He has been the most dominate player in his league since jr high where he battled many family issues, poverty and growing up in a metro area with lots of violence.

Sig thanks to Bonekrusher

Comment

Gashead!!!

Comment

I think a lot of guys get a bad rap regarding steriods. I have never done anything in my life, other then Creatine for 2 months. Yet I get constant "steroid" remarks (mostly back about 4 years ago, but occasionaly now) when I just started working out a lot and got in shape.

I used to be in extremely good shape when i played HS ball and people would bring up steriods, when I never did them. I simply worked out a lot, and got in shape in a short period of time. I just started working out everyday, and that was that. I was always naturally strong, but before that I was a chubby kid sitting around eating cookies all day. Once I started working out, I just got jacked. its how it happens.

Now I dont go to the gym as often and got a small beer gut, but I still occasionaly get comments about roids. I think people should just ****. I mean its not my fault that you have bad genes and cant get in shape....

I cant even imagine what kind of crap pro athletes get

Comment

Originally posted by GiantRutgersFan View Post
            I think a lot of guys get a bad rap regarding steriods. I have never done anything in my life, other then Creatine for 2 months. Yet I get constant "steroid" remarks (mostly back about 4 years ago, but occasionaly now) when I just started working out a lot and got in shape.

I used to be in extremely good shape when i played HS ball and people would bring up steriods, when I never did them. I simply worked out a lot, and got in shape in a short period of time. I just started working out everyday, and that was that. I was always naturally strong, but before that I was a chubby kid sitting around eating cookies all day. Once I started working out, I just got jacked. its how it happens.

Now I dont go to the gym as often and got a small beer gut, but I still occasionaly get comments about roids. I think people should just ****. I mean its not my fault that you have bad genes and cant get in shape....

I cant even imagine what kind of crap pro athletes get
            People have a hard time believing that some people actually take the time out and get in shape and work hard when there are easy, none time consuming ways to get big.

Follow me on Twitter! http://twitter.com/#!/aMo_Captain

Comment

Originally posted by neko4 View Post
              Also the average size and speed of athletes has changed. Merrimen is just an A+ guy nowadays whereas 20 years ago he would have been off the charts. Do I believe his greatness is because of roids...? No. He has been the most dominate player in his league since jr high where he battled many family issues, poverty and growing up in a metro area with lots of violence.

That's ********. A good portion of Merriman's sacks come from excellent technique, wiffed calls and good schemes. Then again, a larger portion comes because of his size and speed. The speed he's got and the strength he's got are a direct result of using steroids...

Comment

with the numbers i put up in high school compared to what some of the old school NFL guys would have done I could of been a pro bowler, its all about evolution and technology

Comment

The game has changed. When comparing players nowadays it is all about the context within which they played the game, not measurables.

Comment

I dont look the other way but I also dont like to jump into conclusions or villify certain players. Fact is I dont know the facts on these guys, I cant be positive that Merriman's physical ability is based on steroids, same thing for baseball or any other sport. Sure, it seems like Barry did it but we cant know for sure....but the bigger reason I dont like to single out players is because if we are gonna assume certain players do it, then its only fair to assume with that that it is widespread and in that case its not right to single out certain players just because they are better than the other guys who use steroids. Maybe its not right to let it slide, but its hard to find a good way to go about dealing with the problem, so I accept it and move on.

Comment

Originally posted by 24cadillac24 View Post
                      The game has changed. When comparing players nowadays it is all about the context within which they played the game, not measurables.
                      this is very true too, to compare Merriman or any LB today to Jerry Rice is ludicrous, they were different eras. Athletes are bigger, stronger and faster now and there are tons of LBs who run in the 4.4s and 4.5s meaning theyre faster than the greatest WR ever. Its just how the game is now.

Comment

Ive got a question, what steriod did merriman get caught with, cause as i recall it just triggered the "steriod/illegal substance" catagory, i dont ever remember hearing it was straight steriods

Comment

The athletes these days are unreal. However, just because they aren't workout warriors doesn't mean they're not good. Look at Anquan Boldin. He ran a 4.7, picked in the second round, and had 101 reception and over 1,300 yards his rookie season.

Comment

one word........steriods

"Just Win Baby"- Al Davis
                            @SirStackAlot707

Comment

I bet most players are on steroids. To be honest, I don't believe singling anyone out is the right course of action. After all, if we convict one freak athlete like Shawne Merriman, then we should scrutinize others like him. Brian Urlacher, Julius Peppers, Vernon Davis, etcetera, etcetera. Quite frankly, I don't care.

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information