Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Archuleta Traded to Bears

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Archuleta Traded to Bears

    http://www.nfl.com/nflnetwork/story/10070560

    Before Moss is dealt -- and it now looks as if it is only a matter of time before it happens -- one of the next players expected to be traded is Washington's safety Adam Archuleta, who will most likely wind up in Chicago.

    Archuleta is expected to be traded for a mid-round conditional pick that could improve for Washington depending on how well the safety performs. The trade would help the Redskins recoup a draft pick in an off season when Washington would like to add as many as possible.

  • #2
    Is he going to play LB?

    I don't think he fits very well at S in a cover 2....as he can't cover to save his life.

    DChess resizing inc.

    Reality is relative.

    We don't give a DAMN for the whole state of Michigan

    Comment


    • #3
      FYI there is more to it if you click the link.

      "Smith likely would plan to play Archuleta closer to the line of scrimmage, as a weapon against the run, rather than ask him to be a center fielder against the pass."

      Comment


      • #4
        It makes sense. Lovie tried to get him before Washington threw a ridiculous amount of money at him.

        He provides depth at SS, which is an integral piece to the Tampa 2 scheme, and he's thick enough to hold the fort as the run stopper of the scheme over the course of the season.

        He also had his best years in the Tampa 2 under Lovie Smith.

        He could be a poor man's John Lynch, it could work. He didn't work in Washington because Lewis ran Cover 2 opposed to Tampa 2, and they had no pass rush out of their front 4.

        This would be an excellent signing for the Bears. Lovie can make Arch work, I guarantee it. If not, then Arch won't work anywhere. But he has potential in Chicago.

        Comment


        • #5
          I'm guessing you wouldn't have to give up too much for him, in all it's worth a shot.


          Thanks to jackalope

          Comment


          • #6
            I was hoping to pick him up if the Redskins were planning on cutting him but Im not so keen about actually giving up a conditional pick for him. I don't know how we would handle his ridiculous contract. I agree that if he is going to work anywhere it is going to be in Chicago under Lovie Smith. But shouldnt that drive his value down to the point where we can get him for pennies and not a midrounder?

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by SFbear View Post
              I don't know how we would handle his ridiculous contract.
              "Before Washington trades Archuleta, it is first trying to restructure the safety's contract so as to soften his salary-cap blow once he is dealt."

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by SFbear View Post
                I was hoping to pick him up if the Redskins were planning on cutting him but Im not so keen about actually giving up a conditional pick for him. I don't know how we would handle his ridiculous contract. I agree that if he is going to work anywhere it is going to be in Chicago under Lovie Smith. But shouldnt that drive his value down to the point where we can get him for pennies and not a midrounder?
                Thats the thing. With the safety depth in this draft, this move only makes sense if you can sign him after the Redskins cut him. Theres no point in trading for him. Theres plenty of guys in the draft that can be more productive and cheaper than Arch.

                Comment


                • #9
                  I like it. If it's a conditional pick it'll only be sent if he pans out, which I'd say is about 50-50 right now.

                  People forget that before he was a one year bust in Washington he was a starting safety in St.Louis in the cover 2 for years. He had his best years under Lovie in St.Louis and should have come to the Bears last year. We need the safety depth if Mike Brown gets hurt so I'm all for it.


                  Nobody cares about your stupid fantasy team.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Splat420 View Post
                    "Before Washington trades Archuleta, it is first trying to restructure the safety's contract so as to soften his salary-cap blow once he is dealt."
                    Thanks. Missed that before. If he is willing to play special teams he could at the very least be an upgrade to Todd Johnson who we let go in FA. Him returning to form under the tutelage of Lovie Smith is a fun thought. We would have more flexibility in the draft and could hold off drafting a future SS if the value isnt there.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by bigbluedefense View Post
                      Thats the thing. With the safety depth in this draft, this move only makes sense if you can sign him after the Redskins cut him. Theres no point in trading for him. Theres plenty of guys in the draft that can be more productive and cheaper than Arch.
                      Very true statement. However, you cannot discount the familiarity factor.
                      Lovie helped develop Arch into the playmaker he is. He knows exactly what he's getting and how it will fit in his system. Arch didn't play a lot in 2006, so he's also moderately fresh as well. I like the fit because of Lovie's familiarity with Arch. If they can get him at a bargain price, it would probably be a good deal. I would imagine the asking price is not high. Well done, Redskins!



                      I am "America's Poster"... http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/for...9&postcount=25

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Splat420 View Post
                        FYI there is more to it if you click the link.

                        "Smith likely would plan to play Archuleta closer to the line of scrimmage, as a weapon against the run, rather than ask him to be a center fielder against the pass."
                        Which is key b/c that's Archuleta's game and Washington tried to turn him into something he's not.


                        Follow me on Twitter! http://twitter.com/#!/aMo_Captain

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Splat420 View Post
                          "Before Washington trades Archuleta, it is first trying to restructure the safety's contract so as to soften his salary-cap blow once he is dealt."
                          That would only benefit the Redskins. They would have take a cap hit for all of his remaining signing bonus plus his roster bonus, as it stands now, the Bears would only have to worry about his base salary, which I believe is fairly cheap for the next two season. Then they could cut him with out taking a cap hit.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Didn't Archeleta play for Lovie when he was with the Rams???

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Here's a thought: read the thread before posting in it.
                              Pugnacity, testosterone, truculence, and belligerence.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X

                              Debug Information