Tom Brady: The Cautionary Tale

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SickwithIt1010 View Post
    Aaron Rodgers is the future of the position.

But i do like Ben a lot as a QB.

I said to my friend before the Atlanta game, in 3 years max he Rodgers will be considered the games best.

Comment

who was the last qb to lose 3 straight playoff games? has Manning ever **** the bed as bad as Tom brady in 3 play off games?
      my scent?...like making love to a lumberjack
      <TACKLE> i will ngata give you a bj raji
      <+BOE> Scott, with Burfict's character concerns (whether legit or not) you think Pioli would draft him. :D
      <+ScottWright> Why not. Baldwin does need a sparring partner...
      Originally posted by Hermstheman83
      What's with the hate on Ricky Stanzi? Those youtube clips of him with the hulk hogan theme music instantly make him better than Luck.

Comment

Mannings playoff record is pretty bad on its own. He's at 2 straight right now, so another loss next year and he'll have it.

Not that I wanna take anything away from Brady hating. I think its great. He's certainly earned it.

Thanks to The Dynasty for the sig

Comment

Originally posted by njx9
          i think it's hilarious that people are *still* repeating the patriots-draft-well meme, but that's probably another thread.

either way, i just wanted to throw in some support for DMW. nothing to add to what he's already said.
          can i add support in honor of you njx, we have had out tribulations but i want to break bread with you ;)
          <+BOE> Scott, with Burfict's character concerns (whether legit or not) you think Pioli would draft him. :D
          What's with the hate on Ricky Stanzi? Those youtube clips of him with the hulk hogan theme music instantly make him better than Luck.

Comment

Originally posted by njx9
            i think it's hilarious that people are *still* repeating the patriots-draft-well meme, but that's probably another thread.

either way, i just wanted to throw in some support for DMW. nothing to add to what he's already said.
            I don't know where that comes from. Just cause Brady is a 6th rounder? Over their last several drafts they have had countless misses, even with more picks than all of the other teams.

Thanks to The Dynasty for the sig

Comment

Originally posted by Crickett View Post
              Wait....... so the New York Jets football team won? Thomas Brady didn't single handedly choke the game away?

I don't understand. When teams lose, its entirely the fault of the losing quarterback. That timeout with 29 seconds was called by Peyton Manning. Drew Brees was the one who couldn't tackle Marshawn Lynch. Matt Hasselback dropped all of those passes. ITS ALWAYS THE FAULT OF THE QUARTERBACK!!!!!!! ALWAYS.
              Hey now, according the the Sniper School for Quarterback Analysis it's always the QBs fault and there is no such thing as extenuating circumstances.

I kind of agree with the overall theme of the thread, though. There is no doubt the QB position is vastly important. Having a great one like Brady and Manning can single handily lead you to the playoffs, as well as overcome deficits and get you wins you would have otherwise failed to achieve with a lesser QBs. However, we've seen it takes more than just one player, regardless of position, to win in the playoffs.

I don't want to turn this into a Manning vs Brady debate, because that's been over killed, but I do believe if the Colts tried to assemble a real defense like the Patriots of the mid-2000's or the Ravens of the past decade that Manning would have multiple rings by now. Instead, everyone just blames him for their failures.

It just proves in the playoffs you need more than an elite QB to win. Even for as awesome as Rodgers has been he's still great some terrific play from his defense, as well as a solid run game from James Starks.
              (shameless self-promotion)
              Like video games? Subscribe to my Youtube Channel!
              https://www.youtube.com/user/Forenci

Comment

Originally posted by yourfavestoner View Post
                I was thinking about doing a write up on this as well, and was discussing the subject in the Divisional Round thread.

People think of me as either a massive Manning hater or a Brady lover. I'm neither, I just call things the way my eyes see them. And if I'm a hater, then I'm an equal opportunity hater.

Combine the poor performance in the 2007 Superbowl, the shutout/blowout last year to the Ravens, and this year's stinker against the Jets, and Brady's postseason mystique is starting to wane off - if it isn't completely gone.

But here's the thing...I'm not making any excuses for him. And you could totally make that argument for him. Look at the boxscore and stateline: 28-21, 29-45, 64%, 299 yards, 2 TDs, 1 INT. That's "good enough to win" numbers I guess. And the o-line and defense played poor, and blah blah blah (excuses, excuses).

But you know what? My eyes don't lie. He had zero command of the game today. He was oblivious to pressure in the pocket. Once he lost his rhythm, he couldn't get it back. He played pretty terribly.

On the other hand, you still can't take the three rings away from him. He's still one of the best quarterbacks of all time. The old argument against him was that he wasn't a dominant statistical passer, but he's turned into that in recent seasons. But, like DMW said, this has also coincided with embarrassing playoff losses.

In regards to him vs Manning, I don't see how you can (or will) be able to chalk it up to anything other than a draw. They've both still got some time left, but I both have their best days behind them. Looking at the matchups on Championship weekend, we're seeing a changing of the guard at the quarterback position.

And for the money, I'm probably going to start touting Big Ben as best QB in the league. Especially if they go to (and/or win) the Superbowl with a practice squad offensive line.
                have i told you lately how much i love you

Comment

Originally posted by yo123 View Post
                  Couldn't be any less true. ****** comes through when they need him. Flacco has repeatedly had great defense after great defense and has **** down his leg over and over. Big Ben never had the numbers but when they absolutely need a drive he gets it.
                  Ben Roethlisberger has become the most overrated player on these boards with all this "best quarterback in the game" talk. He's top 10, close to top 5, I have him at 6th. But Brady, Manning, Rodgers, Brees, and Rivers are all significantly better than him.

Accuracy, reading a defense, getting the ball out quickly, pre-snap adjustments, etc. Ben is getting all this love because his team literally carried him kicking and screaming to a Superbowl in the worst officiated game of all time, and then because he made one big drive where his receiver made one of the nicest ALL TIME catches in the endzone. If that catch isn't made, Ben is nowhere NEAR consideration for the best. If your career is based essentially on one incredible catch, GTFO with this "BEST IN THE LEAGUEEEZZZZ" talk.

Now, since I'm NOT supporting Ben as best in the league, this invariably means that everyone is assuming I think he is trash. As that is how these discussions go. Ben is a great quarterback in this league. He's just not the best, or really even that close to it.

Comment

Ben is an above-average QB who's won Super Bowls because of his team's stifling defense.

He's basically McNabb with a much better defense.

Comment

Originally posted by Smooth Criminal View Post
                      I don't know where that comes from. Just cause Brady is a 6th rounder? Over their last several drafts they have had countless misses, even with more picks than all of the other teams.
                      Not to mention trading out of the spot in 2009 with the Packers so that we can select Clay Matthews.

And don't forget, they traded up with GB in 2006 so they could select WR Chad Jackson, which allowed the Packers to then select WR Greg Jennings.

Comment

Guys, I thought you all realized Brady's been a regular season guy since the SB loss.

Comment

Originally posted by yo123 View Post
                          Really that 3rd round pick for Moss was a genius deal in hindsight. Say what you want about trading down constantly but Moss is a bona fide useless player now. You never even heard the guys name once he was with the Titans.
                          He was a run blocker in Tennesee thats why, he was brought in to run block
                          Last edited by Complex; 01-17-2011, 11:57 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Complex View Post
                            **** her in da *****!

Comment

I'm verrrry close to saying Ben Roethlisberger is the best qb in the league. If he wins ring #3, he will be the best in my eyes.

He's already #3 on my list.

Comment

Originally posted by descendency View Post
                                Originally posted by Complex View Post
                                It's strange, but yeah, that's what Randy Moss did in Tennessee. That's ALL he did there. He was a run blocker. Why they couldn't just use an extra TE, I don't know.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information