No announcement yet.

AP Awards Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't really see how Vick is eligible for comeback player of the year. He was in the league in 2009. Going from backup to starter doesn't constitute a "comeback".

Comment

Originally posted by Halsey View Post
      I don't really see how Vick is eligible for comeback player of the year. He was in the league in 2009. Going from backup to starter doesn't constitute a "comeback".
      Tommy Maddox? Drew Brees? Jon Kitna?

Comment

pennington was in the league the year before he got it, he just got hurt. vick came back in a big way imo
        E]

Comment

Vick should have been eligible last year. He was given the award for coming back two years ago. If that's how theaward works, Tom Brady should be the 2010 comeback player of the year, because he was hurt in 2008.
          Last edited by Halsey; 01-26-2011, 02:32 PM.

Comment

No love for LaGarette Blount as RotYr?

Comment

Vick should have been eligible last year. He was given the award for coming back two years ago. If that's how theaward works, Tom Brady should be the 2010 comeback player of the year, because he was hurt in 2008.
              I know you hate Vick, but Jesus Christ.

"The player named Comeback Player of the Year shows perseverance in overcoming adversity, in the form of not being in the NFL the previous year, a severe injury, or simply poor performance."

Brady is doing none of those things this year. He did last year. That's why he won the award.

And again:

Originally posted by yourfavestoner
              Tommy Maddox? Drew Brees? Jon Kitna?
              It's not like there isn't precedence for this.
              Last edited by yourfavestoner; 01-26-2011, 03:53 PM.

Comment

Do recent playoff results factor in for COTY?

Just wanting to see if Tomlin has a chance :)

Props to clover_jeez!

Comment

I had a terrifying thought that Lovie Smith may actually get some CotY consideration. This is my response to that:

(made that up a few weeks ago, thought I'd share.)

Comment

Originally posted by K Train
                    i have foster for Offensive player of the year, not for rookie of the year
                    Whoops, read that wrong.
                    Originally posted by yourfavestoner View Post
                    I know you hate Vick, but Jesus Christ.

"The player named Comeback Player of the Year shows perseverance in overcoming adversity, in the form of not being in the NFL the previous year, a severe injury, or simply poor performance."

Brady is doing none of those things this year. He did last year. That's why he won the award.

And again:

It's not like there isn't precedence for this.
                    I think the cases of Maddox, Brees, etc. and especially Vick are much better recipients for Come Back Player of the Year than anyone just coming back from an injury.

Comment

So which one was it for Vick then?

The names you brought up earlier didn't mean anything to me. They just looked like an attempt to divert the discussion.

Comment

So which one was it for Vick then?

The names you brought up earlier didn't mean anything to me. They just looked like an attempt to divert the discussion.
                        Poor performance. Sure, he played sparingly, but he had zero impact on the field.

Tommy Maddox retired in 1995 and returned in 2001. In that 2001 season, he pretty much rode the pine like Vick did. He assumed the starting job in 2002 and won the award. Why didn't he win it in 2001? After all, that was the year he "came back." It's a dead-on comparison.

Brees and Kinta are slightly different, because they started the majority of their games the season before and were just ineffective. Still in the same vein, though.

Comment

While it is written in the award that way, I disagree that a player who simply went from sucking but still playing a lot to playing better deserves the "Comeback" award. They just came back from sucking.....I wish I could just do my job ****** as hell for a year, then do an average to above-average job the next year and win an award for it. That would just piss off my coworkers who did a good job all the time then....

I think it should be for coming back from injuries, being out of the league, or at the very least, for guys who didn't play the majority of the previous season.

Comment

And that's why I said Brees and Kitna were a slightly different situation.

Maddox, on the other hand, is the perfect parallel to this.

Comment

And that's why I said Brees and Kitna were a slightly different situation.

Maddox, on the other hand, is the perfect parallel to this.
                              Well that was my beef with it....I didn't like it when Brees or Kitna won it. Vick winning it this year would be reasonable since he went from playing sparingly to playing well this year. If he had started more last year and just sucked, then did well this year, I'd say no.

Comment

How can anyone have McCourty over Suh as DROY? Suh completely raped, was voted a Pro-Bowler and was a first team All-Pro. The only guy that was arguably better than him was Haloti Ngata, and he plays in a different defense. Suh should be the unanimous DROY

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information