The Franchise Tag

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GB12 View Post
    They should have traded him last year if that's what they wanted.
    How were they supposed to know he'd ditch em? I'm sure if he had told em they he wasn't coming back they would have done something about it. Most analysts and experts had him coming back as the most likely scenario. Like BB said...they could have tagged him and worked out a deal that wouldn't have left them with nothing.

"Dying ain't much of a living, boy" -Josey Wales
    Originally posted by TitanHope
    R4L does security, and strips on the weekend.
    He told me the best part is being able to wear the same uniform to both jobs.

Comment

It's no different. They could have done the same thing with or without the franchise tag. The only difference is without one it has to happen a year sooner.

Comment

Originally posted by GB12 View Post
        It's no different. They could have done the same thing with or without the franchise tag. The only difference is without one it has to happen a year sooner.
        Bull. iirc, Lebron didn't let them know his plan, and then they did offer him more money than any other team could offer. He not only ditched them, but didn't let them know he was ditching them, likely with the intent to make sure he got out scot free to the destination of his choice.

With something like a tag in place, he would have been forced to reveal his plan. Then they tag and trade for something.

The NBA has a major, major problem where the players have waaaaaaay too much power. Completely guaranteed contracts basically make teams powerless to punish them in any real way if they start to slack off, or, in situations like this, leave teams high and dry.

I think the NFL will work to avoid anything like this ever happening with one of their star players. Even if they have to concede the tag in it's current form, I think something will be in place to allow teams the opportunity to resign or trade their star players, rather than getting nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by BeerBaron View Post
          Bull. iirc, Lebron didn't let them know his plan, and then they did offer him more money than any other team could offer. He not only ditched them, but didn't let them know he was ditching them, likely with the intent to make sure he got out scot free to the destination of his choice.

With something like a tag in place, he would have been forced to reveal his plan. Then they tag and trade for something.
          A tag doesn't force him to let them know any more. Either way they have to reach an extension or he leaves/is traded. A tag just gives them another year to do that.

Comment

Originally posted by GB12
            A tag doesn't force him to let them know any more. Either way they have to reach an extension or he leaves/is traded. A tag just gives them another year to do that.
            Or during the "tagged" year trade him for something(which is better then the nothing they got)... Cleveland were given no warning of LeBron's intentions. How were they supposed to expect the guy to be an ass and look at the contract and leave anyway? They bent over backwards to accomodate him and he ****** them over anyway. If a tag were in place. LeBron's intentions would have shone through giving the Cavs a year to find some trade partner and get some worth out of the mercenary instead of the BS way that it was handled.

Comment

Originally posted by wogitalia View Post
              I like the system but I'm kind of old school and like loyalty.

I think the thing missed is that teams generally don't like to use the tag if they can avoid it, they want to get a deal done and generally a player who doesn't want to be franchised is a player who wants to leave, I'd actually be very interested to see how many teams have franchised a player and then had a good season the next year? I can't think of any off the top of my head.

It seems that most players these days are negotiating one year only franchise tags anyway.

I would actually like to see an arbitration system for the Franchise picks, perhaps the other teams in the NFL all bid a draft pick offer and the average is used to set the value with the team that franchises the player always having an option to match any contract that is then offered. Would mean that the franchise tag only requires adequate compensation for a player to leave instead of the exorbitant requirements right now but still keeps in essence the idea that a player will stay with the same franchise.
              Edgerrin James and Julius Peppers come to mind.

The problem arises when people use statistics like a drunk uses a lamp post: for support instead of illumination.

If luck is where preparation meets opportunity, then clutch is where failure meets luck.

<Add1ct> setting myself on fire can't be that hard
              <Add1ct> but tackling a mosquito might prove a challenge

Comment

It's an odd system but I like it, prevents teams from losing key players and not getting anything for them.

If only the NBA had it lol.

Comment

I think it would actually work better in the NBA where one player makes far more difference and low end draft picks are worth far less. I actually think that teams would sign franchised players anyway, any team would have given up a couple of firsts for LeBron(hell Miami essentially did, just not to Cleveland).

The fact that we are arguing over the franchise tag just goes to show how much better a state the NFL CBA is in than the NBA where it is an absolute mess!

Props to BK on the sig!

Comment

Working...
                  X

Debug Information