Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Most successful coaching tree of the past 20 years?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Parcells or Walsh. Holmgren comes from Walsh's tree and Holmgren has a pretty impressive tree himself. Parcell had Belichick, but Belichick's assistants haven't found much success as head coaches so far (Crennel, Weis, Mangini, McDaniels).

Comment

Originally posted by AntoinCD View Post
      But in all fairness, how many of those coaches can be considered to be even better than average let alone very good/elite? Holmgren done a very good job in Seattle and Green Bay, Shanahan had a great period in the late 90s, Dungy speaks for himself as does Tomlin, Billick was an offensive genius who had a team that won with a ridiculous defense and a below average offense, Gruden is ehh as is Fisher, Andy Reid was never able to get over the hump, Fox had one or two good years and the rest are mediocre. The sheer numbers of guys who have become head coaches go in the favour of Walsh's tree but few have been very successful and you could argue that the Parcells tree has had as much success with far less numbers.
      I dont agree with your ring = success statement. Billick won a ring in the same tree but you wont remotely call him a good coach. Andy Reid Mike Shanahan were all elite coaches. Mccarthy is soon becoming one. Mike Holmgren was terrific with two teams, Fisher Fox and Gruden were all long tenured and well regarded. The sheer amount of good coaching talent that came out on both sides of the ball was what makes this tree so good.

Also it seems most of them share horrible clock management skills as well. ;)

Comment

Only the ones that directly coached under them should count. I mean it's not like Marty Mornhinweg has no real connection to Walsh. And you can just keep going back. Bill Walsh coached under Paul Brown. So if that's how you're counting it then Brown has all the same guys Walsh had, plus Walsh and Weeb Ewbank, therefore his is much more impressive.

Comment

Originally posted by asdf1223 View Post
          I dont agree with your ring = success statement. Billick won a ring in the same tree but you wont remotely call him a good coach. Andy Reid Mike Shanahan were all elite coaches. Mccarthy is soon becoming one. Mike Holmgren was terrific with two teams, Fisher Fox and Gruden were all long tenured and well regarded. The sheer amount of good coaching talent that came out on both sides of the ball was what makes this tree so good.

Also it seems most of them share horrible clock management skills as well. ;)
          Not necessarily just Superbowl rings but wins as well. I dont necessarily agree with the premise that being long tenured makes you a good coach either. Jeff Fisher only had, I think, 6 winning seasons in Tennessee.

I also don't think that at the minute any of those current coaches except Tomlin come close to either Belichick or Payton. At the moment I would consider Tomlin and McCarthy to be the only top coaches in that tree and they both benefit from excellent front offices too.

BoneKrusher killing it with the sig

Comment

Agree. Just the ones that coached directly under them should count.

"I don't do Pro Days, we send our scouts to those. I would rather spend my time watching film. The eye in the sky never lies. Functional Strength and athletic ability are the first things we look for in a college prospect." - Mark Dominik, Buccaneers GM

Comment

The greatest coaching trees of all time were

Jim Lee Howell (Giants)
              OC: Lombardi
              DC: Landry

Parcells Coaching Tree
              speaks for itself

Walsh's coaching Tree
              speaks for itself

Comment

If we're talking solely about coaches who coached under the guy, then I'll say Walsh followed by Parcells and then Holmgren.

Originally posted by bullg8rdaddy View Post
                D'OH

I forgot Caldwell.
                Common mistake...

Originally posted by Mr. Goosemahn View Post
                If it's a branching tree like that, Jeff Fisher has Jim Schwartz and Gregg Williams as part of his tree.

Originally posted by AntoinCD View Post
                Jeff Fisher only had, I think, 6 winning seasons in Tennessee.
                He also only had 5 losing seasons. :)

Not to turn this thread off topic, but people need to understand why Fisher is seen as this great coach yet only has 6 winning seasons. In the modern NFL, rules have been put into place that force parity, such as the salary cap. In 16 full seasons, Fisher was .500 or better in 11 of them (I'm not going to count his interim year). Should .500 be applauded? No way. Just saying it's hard to escape that when your job is restricted towards that outcome.

Yet, we have many teams who are contenders year in and year out. That's because elite QB's, usually along with great HC's and/or top notch front offices, carry enough power to overcome such things.

Who and when was the last elite QB for the Titans?

Not only that, but do people realize he oversaw a franchise shift from Houston, TX to Nashville, TN that saw stops in Memphis and Vanderbilt's stadium, along with Floyd Reese getting the team into the depths of salary cap hell after '04. The Titans had one losing season after that, and went 8-8 two seasons later. And this is all without getting into the Bud Adams shenanigans.

It was time for the Titans and Fisher to split. I still like Fisher. A lot. I hope he goes to another team, where he actually gets to approve the player who plays the most vital position, and shows up the people who just skimmed his wikipedia page and started judging his career. If you're going to criticize something, target his **** playoff success. It literally took a miracle for him to get to the Super Bowl.

/rant
                Last edited by TitanHope; 01-29-2011, 09:50 PM.
                Still Team The Ke$ha!!!

[@TDWinstead]
                Originally posted by MichaelJordanEberle (sabf)
                Damn Ke$ha is sexy.

Comment

Brian Billick has:

Marvin Lewis
                  Mike Nolan
                  Mike Smith
                  Jack Del Rio
                  Rex Ryan
                  Mike Singletary

Magical sig by OSUGiants

SSAEL....... its a new revolution!

Originally posted by Job
                  On another note, Nicklas Backstrom is amazingly good.
                  Meanwhile, in hockey the other night, the Washington Capitals' Eric Belanger gets hit with a stick, loses EIGHT teeth, has an instant root canal in the locker room, comes back out and PLAYS and never says boo.

So new rule, NBA: Unless you have a root canal at halftime, SHUT UP AND PLAY!

Comment

Originally posted by BigDawg819 View Post
                    Brian Billick has:

Marvin Lewis
                    Mike Nolan
                    Mike Smith
                    Jack Del Rio
                    Rex Ryan
                    Mike Singletary
                    Rex is from Buddy"s coaching tree more than anything else

Sig by Me

Comment

Originally posted by JETS5128 View Post
                      How? He broke into coaching on Billick's staff

Magical sig by OSUGiants

Originally posted by Job
                      Meanwhile, in hockey the other night, the Washington Capitals' Eric Belanger gets hit with a stick, loses EIGHT teeth, has an instant root canal in the locker room, comes back out and PLAYS and never says boo.

Comment

Originally posted by BigDawg819 View Post
                        Brian Billick has:

Marvin Lewis
                        Mike Nolan
                        Mike Smith
                        Jack Del Rio
                        Rex Ryan
                        Mike Singletary
                        I'm sorry, but that's a pretty crappy list, no way could he contend for best tree. Ryan also brought a new scheme to Baltimore and moved Suggs to DE a lot more so I wouldn't put him under Billick's tree. Mike Smith is the only other mentionable on that list and he's still working on getting there, you need at least one playoff win to be called a success.

Comment

Originally posted by JETS5128 View Post
                          Not as much his tree as much as his "staff."
                          Still Team The Ke$ha!!!

[@TDWinstead]
                          Originally posted by MichaelJordanEberle (sabf)
                          Damn Ke$ha is sexy.

Comment

In the past 20 it's Parcells and Walsh easy. Parcells also has a GM thing as I know Tannenbaum is "his guy" from the Jets and he picked Ireland for Miami.

Comment

Originally posted by whatadai View Post
                              I'm sorry, but that's a pretty crappy list, no way could he contend for best tree. Ryan also brought a new scheme to Baltimore and moved Suggs to DE a lot more so I wouldn't put him under Billick's tree. Mike Smith is the only other mentionable on that list and he's still working on getting there, you need at least one playoff win to be called a success.
                              I wasn't saying that Billick's tree is in any way or shape the best, but merely stating that he's had a measure of success in subordinates becoming head coaches. Frankly his coaches have had more success as head coaches then a certain 3 time Super Bowl winning head coach.

Magical sig by OSUGiants

Originally posted by Job

Comment

The Dennis Green tree is pretty solid (obviously an extension of the Walsh tree). Strangely. Billick, Dungy, and all of their stooges.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information