Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Most successful coaching tree of the past 20 years?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Most successful coaching tree of the past 20 years?

Jimmy Johnson?

Bill Parcells?

Steve Walsh?

Tony Dungy?

Pretty sure there are more out there.

Who you got and why?

Go.

"I don't do Pro Days, we send our scouts to those. I would rather spend my time watching film. The eye in the sky never lies. Functional Strength and athletic ability are the first things we look for in a college prospect." - Mark Dominik, Buccaneers GM

Mike Holmgren's is pretty impressive from the time he was with Green Bay.

Comment

While Bill Walsh has a massive coaching tree with numerous current or former head coaches, the relative success has not been great. Only really Billick, Gruden and Shanahan have had any Superbowl success and many credit Tony Dungy for most of Tampa Bay's success.

I would go with the Parcells tree personally. While there are not as many high profile coaches the success of those coaches has been very good. Belichick, Payton and Coughlin directly worked with Parcells and have all won at least one Superbowl. However, after these, not many further disciples have had much success, ie Crennel, McDaniels, Petrino, Jauron etc

BoneKrusher killing it with the sig

Comment

Who were/are the coaches under Holmgren?

Gruden
        Mornhinweg
        Reid?

"I don't do Pro Days, we send our scouts to those. I would rather spend my time watching film. The eye in the sky never lies. Functional Strength and athletic ability are the first things we look for in a college prospect." - Mark Dominik, Buccaneers GM

Comment

FYI Dungy's tree

Lovie Smith 1 Super Bowl as HC and 1 as Rams DC (unfortunately had Grossman as QB)
          Herm Edwards
          Rod Marinelli
          Mike Tomlin 3 Super Bowls (2 rings a chance at another)
          Raheem Morris
          Leslie Frazier 3-3 as interim HC now permanent HC

Comment

Originally posted by AntoinCD View Post
            While Bill Walsh has a massive coaching tree with numerous current or former head coaches, the relative success has not been great. Only really Billick, Gruden and Shanahan have had any Superbowl success and many credit Tony Dungy for most of Tampa Bay's success.

I would go with the Parcells tree personally. While there are not as many high profile coaches the success of those coaches has been very good. Belichick, Payton and Coughlin directly worked with Parcells and have all won at least one Superbowl. However, after these, not many further disciples have had much success, ie Crennel, McDaniels, Petrino, Jauron etc
            Very impressive.

Comment

Dungy?

- Lovie Smith
              - Herm Edwards
              - Mike Tomlin
              - Rod Marinelli (bad situation in Detroit however, good d-coach)
              - Leslie Frazier (asst. Indy)
              - Jim Caldwell

All had some/great (Tomlin) success as head coaches (except Marinelli)

Comment

D'OH

I forgot Caldwell.

Comment

Originally posted by bucfan12 View Post
                  Dungy?

- Lovie Smith
                  - Herm Edwards
                  - Mike Tomlin
                  - Rod Marinelli (bad situation in Detroit however, good d-coach)
                  - Leslie Frazier (asst. Indy)
                  - Jim Caldwell

All had some/great (Tomlin) success as head coaches (except Marinelli)
                  Does Manning count? lol.

Comment

Parcells FTW!!!!! Sure he had that one Bellicheck dude and he has done okay. Payton has done alright too. But Tom Coughlin worked with Spags. So Spags is on Coughlin's and Spags is awesome. Coughlin is on Parcells. So trickle up affect. PARCELLS FTW!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by bullg8rdaddy View Post
                      FYI Dungy's tree

Lovie Smith 1 Super Bowl as HC and 1 as Rams DC (unfortunately had Grossman as QB)
                      Herm Edwards
                      Rod Marinelli
                      Mike Tomlin 3 Super Bowls (2 rings a chance at another)
                      Raheem Morris
                      Leslie Frazier 3-3 as interim HC now permanent HC
                      Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Raheem become a part of the Tampa Coaching staff in 2002, when Dungy was not there?

Comment

Originally posted by bucfan12 View Post
                        Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Raheem become a part of the Tampa Coaching staff in 2002, when Dungy was not there?
                        I think you're right. According to wikipedia, Morris is not part of Dungy's coaching tree.

Sig by BoneKrusher

Comment

Bill Walsh, no questions asked. Half of the league can be traced back to him.

Holmgren, Fox, Reid, McCarthy, Gruden, Shanahan, Fisher, Dungy, Lovie, and Tomlin have all made it to a Superbowl, and I'm sure there are more on the list, but I don't know them and what they did.
                          Last edited by Mr. Goosemahn; 01-29-2011, 01:09 PM.

Props to clover_jeez!

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Goosemahn View Post
                            Bill Walsh, no questions asked. Half of the league can be traced back to him.

Holmgren, Fox, Reid, McCarthy, Gruden, Shanahan, Fisher, Dungy, Lovie, and Tomlin have all made it to a Superbowl, and I'm sure there are more on the list, but I don't know them and what they did.
                            But in all fairness, how many of those coaches can be considered to be even better than average let alone very good/elite? Holmgren done a very good job in Seattle and Green Bay, Shanahan had a great period in the late 90s, Dungy speaks for himself as does Tomlin, Billick was an offensive genius who had a team that won with a ridiculous defense and a below average offense, Gruden is ehh as is Fisher, Andy Reid was never able to get over the hump, Fox had one or two good years and the rest are mediocre. The sheer numbers of guys who have become head coaches go in the favour of Walsh's tree but few have been very successful and you could argue that the Parcells tree has had as much success with far less numbers.

BoneKrusher killing it with the sig

Comment

Originally posted by Hurricanes25 View Post
                              I think you're right. According to wikipedia, Morris is not part of Dungy's coaching tree.
                              You are correct, my bust. Thanks.

But I did find that his first NFL gig was this:

Also, in 2001, he spent time as a defensive minority intern with the New York Jets.
                              Under Herm Edwards.
                              Last edited by bullg8rdaddy; 01-29-2011, 01:29 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information