Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What would Haloti Ngata get on the open market?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Probably something around $70 million with $40 million guaranteed or so. A little more than what Suh got.

Comment

IDC if we give Haloti a blank check, we need to get him a Raven for life. He is 27 and he is the best 34 DE in football, could be the best 34 NT in football, and could be the best 43 DT in football to. He has no character issues also. My prediction is about 40 million guarenteed and 8 million overall. I dont think he will try to break our bank like Haynesworth did. I remember his rookie year his contract was only 5 years for 14 million which was interesting because the 13th pick got 23.7 million.

Comment

Haloti Ngata is an animal and probably the best defensive lineman in the NFL, but he probably wouldn't get Haynesworth money. Firstly, Haynesworth had the type of season a few years ago that happens once every decade or two, secondly Ngata doesn't produce the stats(and I know stats aren't what count but it's way easier to leverage in contract talks with "I had 15 sacks last year" than with "I helped everyone else on my defense and command double teams"), and thirdly he doesn't play a premium position. IMO he would probably get somewhere in the region of 80m for 7 years with about 35m gauranteed, but deserves about 100m for 7 years with 45m gauranteed

BoneKrusher killing it with the sig

Comment

Originally posted by Umoro View Post
          I wouldn't give him a record-breaking contract.

He's never had more than 3 sacks in a single year until now, and he only had 5.5 this year. I feel that if a DT or DE is to be given a monster contract, he has to be an *elite* pass rusher. Ngata is one of these DEs that is tough to move in the running game, and he will occasionally make a splash play in the passing game, but I wouldn't consider him an elite pass-rusher by any means.

And no, don't give me "but he commands double teams on every snap!" because I've watched Ravens game and he doesn't necessarily command a double team on every snap, and don't give me "but 3-4 DEs don't need to get sacks!" because a.) if they want a monster contract they do and b.) Bruce Smith is the all-time NFL sack leader and he played 3-4 DE his entire career and would often get 10+ sacks in a season from that position.
          ...and this is why better players keep not getting the DPOY award. Too many people get giant boners over sack numbers.

I'm going to guess that you think the Cy Young award should just go to the pitcher with the most wins.

Comment

Originally posted by Umoro View Post
            I wouldn't give him a record-breaking contract.

He's never had more than 3 sacks in a single year until now, and he only had 5.5 this year. I feel that if a DT or DE is to be given a monster contract, he has to be an *elite* pass rusher. Ngata is one of these DEs that is tough to move in the running game, and he will occasionally make a splash play in the passing game, but I wouldn't consider him an elite pass-rusher by any means.

And no, don't give me "but he commands double teams on every snap!" because I've watched Ravens game and he doesn't necessarily command a double team on every snap, and don't give me "but 3-4 DEs don't need to get sacks!" because a.) if they want a monster contract they do and b.) Bruce Smith is the all-time NFL sack leader and he played 3-4 DE his entire career and would often get 10+ sacks in a season from that position.
            With all due respect, sir.....

"I don't do Pro Days, we send our scouts to those. I would rather spend my time watching film. The eye in the sky never lies. Functional Strength and athletic ability are the first things we look for in a college prospect." - Mark Dominik, Buccaneers GM

Comment

Well, this thread got ridiculous in one post.

Comment

Exactly. You say 34 DE like that explains anything. It's all on the system they're in.. bc they're not all the same.
                -Boston Red Sox-New England Patriots-Boston Celtics-

Comment

Wow. Everyone on this board sure is quick to jump all over a dissenting opinion.

All I'm saying is that if I'm ponying up big-time $$$ for a free agent DL, I'd kind of prefer that guy to be able to impact the passing game in a big way, which is the most important thing in the game at this point. If I want a dominant run-stuffer I could pick up half a dozen guys in the draft that could give me solid performance in that respect - a studly pass rusher is far rarer. I'd much rather give a big contract to Julius Peppers, for instance, than Haloti Ngata because Peppers will impact the passing game more than Ngata.

Comment

Working...
                  X

Debug Information