Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Daily Double: Is the Draft Duo of Matthews & Raji the best combo?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Daily Double: Is the Draft Duo of Matthews & Raji the best combo?

I don't have time to check every team's drafts the past 20 years, but I can vividly recall Tampa Bay in 1995 drafting Warren Sapp and Derrick Brooks in the first round that year.

I think the year after that, the Ravens got OT Jonathan Ogden and Ray Lewis in the same first round, 1996.
    That's epic even though Ogden has been done for years now. He was great for a long time. That's the best 1-2 first round combo I can remember. How the hell is Ray Lewis still going like this?

In more recent years, I can't recall a better pair of first rounders by a team than Raji & Matthews, but I suppose someone here has some other examples.
    Pittsburgh probably.

Someone make some cases for some others...... (Here we go Tebow & Demaryious Thomas.....)

Those picks would have been much better if the Packers didn't have so many injuries.
    Originally posted by Mr. Goosemahn
    The APS is strong in this one.
    Originally posted by killxswitch
    Tears for Fears is better than whatever it is you happen to be thinking about right now.

Comment

Why does it matter what round they were selected in? I mean it is impressive getting two players of that caliber, but if you ask me it is more impressive when you have impressive classes that go deep beyond the first round.

Raji and Matthews was certainly a haul, no doubt about it. If you are seriously trying to rank them, it isn't Sapp/Brooks or Odgen/Lewis. They have a way to go for that to happen.

Comment

Dick Butkus + Gale Sayers

/thread

Comment

The Packers are awesome bro. Moar threads please.

Comment

Originally posted by A Perfect Score View Post
            Those picks would have been much better if the Packers didn't have so many injuries.
            How original.

Raji and Matthews are off to a impressive start, but they have along ways to go before there in the same echelon as those others mentioned.

What do the vikings and marijuana have in common? Every time you put them in a bowl
            they get smoked.

2010-2011 Super Bowl Champions
            Hint:Not the Bears.

Comment

Yeah, it shouldn't just have to be first rounders. Best draft class overall.

That being said Matthews and Raji is probably the best recent pair. Ogden and Lewis were cornerstones for that franchise, as were Sapp and Brooks. They're on a whole other level.

I'd wait out for Anthony Davis + Mike Iupati and Ndamukong Suh + Jahvid Best.

edit: and just to be a homer, 1974 Steelers win all.

1. WR Lynn Swann
              2. LB Jack Lambert
              4. WR John Stallworth
              5. C Mike Webster
              Last edited by Mr. Goosemahn; 01-31-2011, 12:15 AM.

Props to clover_jeez!

Comment

Originally posted by TitleTown088 View Post
                How original.

Raji and Matthews are off to a impressive start, but they have along ways to go before there in the same echelon as those others mentioned.
                Its about as unoriginal as the 10,000th thread this guy has started about how awesome the Packers are.
                Originally posted by Mr. Goosemahn
                The APS is strong in this one.
                Originally posted by killxswitch
                Tears for Fears is better than whatever it is you happen to be thinking about right now.

Comment

Originally posted by J-Mike88 View Post
                  I don't have time to check every team's drafts the past 20 years, but I can vividly recall Tampa Bay in 1995 drafting Warren Sapp and Derrick Brooks in the first round that year.

I think the year after that, the Ravens got OT Jonathan Ogden and Ray Lewis in the same first round, 1996.
                  That's epic even though Ogden has been done for years now. He was great for a long time. That's the best 1-2 first round combo I can remember. How the hell is Ray Lewis still going like this?

In more recent years, I can't recall a better pair of first rounders by a team than Raji & Matthews, but I suppose someone here has some other examples.
                  Pittsburgh probably.

Someone make some cases for some others...... (Here we go Tebow & Demaryious Thomas.....)
                  Moreno and Ayers.

Comment

This is really gonna turn into oooooh lets find a great combo my favorite team drafted and thats the answer thread.

Comment

The combo of Matt Ryan and Sam Baker's been a pretty successful one so far for the Falcons. In 97 the Seahawks drafted both Walter Jones and Shawn Springs in the first round. Neither of those (or Raji and Matthews) quite compare to the Ogden/Lewis or Sapp/Brooks combos, and I'm sure if you further back in history you'd likely find more than a few examples of teams grabbing two or more hall of famers in the first round

Comment

Originally posted by yodapoop View Post
                        This is really gonna turn into oooooh lets find a great combo my favorite team drafted and thats the answer thread.
                        Bradford and Saffold are gonna be pretty sexy though. ;D

Comment

Originally posted by TACKLE View Post
                          Bradford and Saffold are gonna be pretty sexy though. ;D
                          I was gonna go with Alex Barron and Ron Bartell. I guess ur way works too.

Comment

I'd be a homer but I don't recall the Titans ever having two first rounders in the same year.
                            Credit to BoneKrusher for the Sig
                            RIP themaninblack

Comment

I'll be a homer and toss out Ferguson and Mangold for the Jets in the '06 draft, they've panned out pretty well.

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information