X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Absolutely Steve Young.

Comment

Originally posted by bearsfan_51 View Post
      Not even close. There were many quarterbacks in the 90's better than Aikman.
      Really? Like whom? I can think of maybe 4-5 but they're in the 1st or 2nd tier of the greatest QB of all time. Marino, Farve, Young, Elway. That's about it. I mean Moon is debatable but to say there were many QBs in the 90's that was better than him is just an exaggeration.

Comment

:D

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011

Comment

Originally posted by Brent View Post

:D
          .gif FAIL?

"I don't do Pro Days, we send our scouts to those. I would rather spend my time watching film. The eye in the sky never lies. Functional Strength and athletic ability are the first things we look for in a college prospect." - Mark Dominik, Buccaneers GM

Comment

Steve Young is so underrated in terms of his overall greatness IMO because he didn't play that long and "only" won 1 super bowl but...to me Steve Young was the best and most complete QB I have ever personally seen play in my life.

The guy was truly amazing in his day.
            Last edited by 2 Live Crew; 01-31-2011, 05:24 PM.

Comment

This thread just brings back all the hatred I had for the Niners when I was a kid. So I can't even say who I believe is better, because it would just hurt my soul.

Comment

S.Young >> T.Aikman

I agree with gsorace and bearsfan on this one.
                -Boston Red Sox-New England Patriots-Boston Celtics-

Comment

Originally posted by Paul View Post
                  This thread just brings back all the hatred I had for the Niners when I was a kid. So I can't even say who I believe is better, because it would just hurt my soul.
                  lol I hear you, I hated them too.

"I don't do Pro Days, we send our scouts to those. I would rather spend my time watching film. The eye in the sky never lies. Functional Strength and athletic ability are the first things we look for in a college prospect." - Mark Dominik, Buccaneers GM

Comment

To answer you question, Young>Aikman.

Aikman basically has Bledsoe/Brunell/Mcnabb career numbers but with rings due to being on an incredible team.

Comment

Originally posted by bearsfan_51 View Post
                      Not even close. There were many quarterbacks in the 90's better than Aikman.
                      This.

Originally posted by gsorace View Post
                      Aikman was just the 90's version of Terry Bradshaw, they both won the lottery and ended up on 2 of the most talented teams ever assembled.
                      ...and this.

I've probably said it twenty times on this board. Troy Aikman was an average QB on an amazing team. Of course, every time I've said it, people too young to have even watched him reply by saying that he's a deserving hall of famer, etc, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Umoro View Post
                        Just about anyone decent would look like a god behind the best offensive line of the 90s while handing off to the best RB of the 90s and throwing to the second best WR of the 90s.

In terms of skill, Young by a country mile.
                        I'm confused.

Barry Sanders played for the Cowboys? :/

Also, Steve Young for good measure.

Comment

Originally posted by iowatreat54 View Post
                          I'm confused.

Barry Sanders played for the Cowboys? :/

Also, Steve Young for good measure.
                          You beat me to it on the Barry Sanders point. Aikman had the 2nd best players of the decade at both RB and WR, one of the greatest OLs in history and Pro Bowlers in Moose Johnston and Jay Novacek not to mention a totally stacked defense. Those Dallas teams of the 90s included 5 players who made the recent NFL Network's Top 100 Players of All-Time. That's how good they were. Only the 70s Steelers had more with 6 in the Top 100.

If Dallas had not won any Super Bowls, or even won just the one like Phil Simms did as a starter with the Giants in 1986 (he was a backup to Hostetler in 1990), would Aikman be considered a HOFer? I have my doubts.

Simms was a Super Bowl MVP with a superlative display in SB 21. His career totals in wins, completions, yards, TD passes and QB rating are very similar to Aikman's. Simms had 4 seasons of 20+ TD passes and 6 seasons of 3,000 yds compared to Aikman's 1 and 5 seasons respectively. Aikman was a 1st ballot choice yet Simms hasn't had a sniff of Canton. Without the 3 Super Bowls on a fantastic team, his HOF fate would likely have been that of Simms. The same can also be said of Bradshaw and the comparison with Aikman is a very good one.

Steve Young
                          3 1st team All-Pro
                          3 2nd team All-Pro
                          2 MVPs
                          1 OPOTY
                          6 Led league in Passer rating
                          5 Led league in Completion %
                          4 Led league in TD passes
                          2 4,000 yd seasons
                          5 seasons with 20+ TD passes (incl a 36 and 35)
                          Highest passer rating in NFL history (96.8)
                          1 Super Bowl (as a starter)
                          1 SB MVP

Troy Aikman
                          0 1st team All-Pro
                          0 2nd team All-Pro
                          0 MVPs
                          0 OPOTY
                          0 Led league in Passer rating
                          1 Led league in Completion %
                          0 Led league in TD passes
                          0 4,000 yd seasons
                          1 seasons with 20TD+
                          3 Super Bowls
                          1 SB MVP

Comment

Originally posted by boknows34 View Post
                            You beat me to it on the Barry Sanders point. Aikman had the 2nd best players of the decade at both RB and WR, one of the greatest OLs in history and Pro Bowlers in Moose Johnston and Jay Novacek not to mention a totally stacked defense. Those Dallas teams of the 90s included 5 players who made the recent NFL Network's Top 100 Players of All-Time. That's how good they were. Only the 70s Steelers had more with 5 in the Top 100.

If Dallas had not won any Super Bowls, or even won just the one like Phil Simms did as a starter with the Giants in 1986 (he was a backup to Hostetler in 1990), would Aikman be considered a HOFer? I have my doubts.

Simms was a Super Bowl MVP with a superlative display in SB 21. His career totals in wins, completions, yards, TD passes and QB rating are very similar to Aikman's. Simms had 4 seasons of 20+ TD passes and 6 seasons of 3,000 yds compared to Aikman's 1 and 5 seasons respectively. Aikman was a 1st ballot choice yet Simms hasn't had a sniff of Canton. Without the 3 Super Bowls on a fantastic team, his HOF fate would likely have been that of Simms. The same can also be said of Bradshaw and the comparison with Aikman is a very good one.

Steve Young
                            3 1st team All-Pro
                            3 2nd team All-Pro
                            2 MVPs
                            1 OPOTY
                            6 Led league in Passer rating
                            5 Led league in Completion %
                            4 Led league in TD passes
                            2 4,000 yd seasons
                            5 seasons with 20+ TD passes (incl a 36 and 35)
                            Highest passer rating in NFL history (96.8)
                            1 Super Bowl (as a starter)
                            1 SB MVP

Troy Aikman
                            0 1st team All-Pro
                            0 2nd team All-Pro
                            0 MVPs
                            0 OPOTY
                            0 Led league in Passer rating
                            1 Led league in Completion %
                            0 Led league in TD passes
                            0 4,000 yd seasons
                            1 seasons with 20TD+
                            3 Super Bowls
                            1 SB MVP
                            To play devil's advocate here. You think those 6 players would have made the all time greatest's list if they didn't win those superbowls? Troy was never going to put those crazy passing numbers in the cowboy's offense because it was centered around a running game. Which was already stated so I don't understand why it should be held against him.

If you just look at the game film, he was an incredibly accurate QB who usually hit his receivers in stride. Young's team ran through him with short and intermediate routes while Aikman had to throw longer/risker passes so he was never going to lead the league in completion percentage as often as Young did. As for his TD record, he was never going to be forced to throw it in the red zone when you have smith and that O-Line to plow it in. It was a safer route to go.

I'm in no way saying that Aikman was a better QB than young. But for some of the posters to even claim that he was a average QB that got carried to those superbowls is absurd. Look at this post-season records and stats. He played as big of a part as anyone of the triplets in those postseason wins. Let's not pretend he was trent dilfer when he's not here.

Comment

Larry Allen, Deion and Emmitt all still make the Top 100 without those titles imo. Irvin and Aikman would have missed the cut.

Nobody is saying Troy is comparible to Trent Dilfer but more likely a Phil Simms who was still a very good QB but a notch below what is required for Canton.

Comment

Young by a mile.

2 C 5:6-8 Jakob Murphy aka themaninblack

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information