Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Injuries from Snow Falling from Cowboys Stadium (Packers players not involved)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bigbluedefense View Post
    Does sand really provide that much grip though? I'd imagine unless you pour a good layer of sand over it, the cars will still have a lot of trouble gripping the road no?
    Yes, sand does a wonderful job with ice. Keep in mind that this is something unlike Dallas has seen in over 20 years. When we get ice on the roads in the mornings, it's usually gone by evening traffic; if there is ice during the evening commute, we sand it and usually it's gone the next day. RARELY do we have weather which makes driving unsafe.

There is no reason for the DFW area to spend money on readiness for a situation like this because it's so rare. And, it doesnt hurt that we have snow so infrequently (maybe once or twice a year) for them to cancel events/school because of the weather.

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011

Comment

Back in the day when I worked for Haliburton, I got shipped all over the country. My crew once spent an entire week in Texas "snowed in" at our hotel despite there never being more than what I'd call flurries. I got paid for a week, a relief crew came, and I went home without ever setting foot in the refinery I was there for.

They're pussies when it comes to snow down there.

Originally posted by LizardState View Post

Hard to imagine that photo is Dallas, looks like freaking Connecticut.
      Connecticut probably got real snow, not the tiny bit in that picture.
      Last edited by Monomach; 02-04-2011, 06:14 PM.

Comment

Injuries just follow the Packers everywhere. This is just the evidence we needed.

Originally posted by WMD
        Jesse realizing Walt was Santa Claus could really shake things up.
        Originally posted by gpngc
        I don't know how old you are, but if you can get to 24/25 without getting arrested or killed, you've done well for yourself lol.

Comment

Every city uses sand guys. Most cities will start with salt, then when they run out / get close to busy hours of the day, they'll use sand as a last ditch effort.

It's generally better for the environment and your cars / the roads. I don't know if it is cheaper or not, but I imaging so as well.

Comment

more proof the SB should NEVER be played anywhere except warm weather cities.that NY Super Bowl will be a doozy

Comment

Originally posted by T-RICH49 View Post
              that NY Super Bowl will be a doozy
              that will be hilarious. watch them have a blizzard or something.

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011

Comment

Originally posted by T-RICH49 View Post
                more proof the SB should NEVER be played anywhere except warm weather cities.that NY Super Bowl will be a doozy
                I would hardly call North Texas a "cold" city. From everything I'm hearing, their average temp this time of year is about 40 degrees higher and they have precipitation of this type only a few times all winter, except like a quarter as much of it, at most. Besides, unless you're going there to party the week before, it is a great place for the actual game to take place.

Thanks to BK for the sig

Comment

Some cities use something more like refined gravel instead of sand as well for better traction. I know Montreal uses it.

And to the guy that said all cities use sand, most of them just mix it in with the salt but lately, at least where I live, theres so much salt everywhere its disgusting and the amount of sand used is minimal at best. I'd rather it be more like Calgary where it's predominantly sand instead of salt.
                  Last edited by Vox Populi; 02-04-2011, 06:10 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Bengalsrocket View Post
                    Every city uses sand guys. Most cities will start with salt, then when they run out / get close to busy hours of the day, they'll use sand as a last ditch effort.

It's generally better for the environment and your cars / the roads. I don't know if it is cheaper or not, but I imaging so as well.
                    Not so much. Zero sand here in my neighborhood.

Comment

Originally posted by Brent View Post
                      that will be hilarious. watch them have a blizzard or something.
                      They would probably hope for that, tbh. The ratings on TV would be astronomical...people love blizzard games.
                      (shameless self-promotion)
                      Like video games? Subscribe to my Youtube Channel!
                      https://www.youtube.com/user/Forenci

Comment

Originally posted by bigbluedefense View Post
                        It's hilarious that the city was throwing sand on the road instead of salt.

Sand? Really?
                        No offense to anyone on the boards, but the south is just plain ******** when it comes to dealing with snow.

Like honestly, if there's a slight snowfall anywhere from Virginia southward, peopel flip the **** out. You're snow ********. Working at a weather company has given me even more insight into this....somewhere down south is supposed to get an inch of snow? They cancel EVERYTHING and all of their newspaper companies start calling in trying to get their pages to print faster....it's stupid. Just plain stupid.

Invest in some ******* plowtrucks and a big pile of salt. Unless there was at least 4-5 inches of snow or solid ice on the roads, nothing in Pennsylvania shuts down. Using the weather as an excuse not to go to work or school doesn't cut it.

And everything I've been reading says that Dallas is just a big cluster **** right now with no idea how to handle anything. People are worried about weather impacting the NY Superbowl in a few years, but I guarantee you they will be better equipped to handle any snow than Dallas right now. They're just clueless.

Comment

In Minnesota, you need a lot more than 4-5 inches to shut ANYTHING down. If we get 4 or 5 inches, no one even blinks. We make a big deal with we are getting a foot or two.

Bonekrusher.

Originally posted by JordanTaber
                          Football...it's rocket surgery now, folks.

Comment

Originally posted by BeerBaron View Post
                            No offense to anyone on the boards, but the south is just plain ******** when it comes to dealing with snow.

Like honestly, if there's a slight snowfall anywhere from Virginia southward, peopel flip the **** out. You're snow ********. Working at a weather company has given me even more insight into this....somewhere down south is supposed to get an inch of snow? They cancel EVERYTHING and all of their newspaper companies start calling in trying to get their pages to print faster....it's stupid. Just plain stupid.

Invest in some ******* plowtrucks and a big pile of salt. Unless there was at least 4-5 inches of snow or solid ice on the roads, nothing in Pennsylvania shuts down. Using the weather as an excuse not to go to work or school doesn't cut it.

And everything I've been reading says that Dallas is just a big cluster **** right now with no idea how to handle anything. People are worried about weather impacting the NY Superbowl in a few years, but I guarantee you they will be better equipped to handle any snow than Dallas right now. They're just clueless.
                            To be fair, considering how many accidents are caused by snow in the northern US I'd say they probably should shut down more schools and businesses. It's just people are stubborn and think it's no big deal because they drive around it all the time.

And honestly, I live in a place that gets a ton of snow in the northeast and people still freak out anytime they see snow in the weather report. You should see people at the grocery store the day before snow storm stocking up on food and salt.
                            (shameless self-promotion)
                            Like video games? Subscribe to my Youtube Channel!
                            https://www.youtube.com/user/Forenci

Comment

Were they Packers players? lolz

Comment

Originally posted by Forenci View Post
                                To be fair, considering how many accidents are caused by snow in the northern US I'd say they probably should shut down more schools and businesses. It's just people are stubborn and think it's no big deal because they drive around it all the time.

And honestly, I live in a place that gets a ton of snow in the northeast and people still freak out anytime they see snow in the weather report. You should see people at the grocery store the day before snow storm stocking up on food and salt.
                                People will still freak here too, don't get me wrong, but businesses and schools stay open unless there are outright blizzard conditions going on.

In this most recent big storm that hit basically the entire eastern half of the country, I got calls over the course of about 2 days from newspaper pages looking for their weather pages from us so they could move up their print time and get out early.

There was one from Indiana that I recall getting.....and all of the 20493385 others were from down south. (Virginia southward I'd say.) Places that were getting like...2 inches at worst.

Meanwhile, here, we got a layering of ice that made it so you damned near needed a pick axe to get the ice off your car. Me and one of the meteorologists were standing there bullshitting in the parking lot until our car defrosters managed to melt the layer of ice enough to scrape it off...

We didn't shut down. Penn State didn't shut down. No Pennsylvania northward newspapers called for early deadlines.......and the roads were actually reasonably well salted and plowed.

It snows and people worry, but we still get our **** accomplished. Mostly because we're equipped to handle it. We aren't sprinkling sand on the roads and the like...

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information