Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is Rodgers one of the elite quarterbacks?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is Rodgers one of the elite quarterbacks?

It's obvious that the three that are there right now that are still currently in the league are...

Peyton Manning
    Tom Brady
    Drew Brees
    Ben Roethlisberger

Is Rodgers there now too? Personally, I believe he is and would like to see your opinions as to why or why he isn't. Or if anyone else deserves to be or not be considered "elite."
    Last edited by whatadai; 02-07-2011, 02:42 PM.

Drew Brees is not considered elite?

Comment

Originally posted by Xonraider View Post
      Drew Brees is not considered elite?
      Meant to put his name. Forgot.

Comment

Originally posted by whatadai View Post
        It's obvious that the three that are there right now that are still currently in the league are...

Peyton Manning
        Tom Brady
        Ben Roethlisberger

Is Rodgers there now too? Personally, I believe he is and would like to see your opinions as to why or why he isn't. Or if anyone else deserves to be or not be considered "elite."
        Considering Ben's playoff blehness this year, it's rather hard to include him in the crowd. His thing was being clutch and he was far from it this year.

Rodgers is clearly there with Manning and Brady. Not even a question now. His 7 post-season games, if you include the 2 win-or-go-homes this year are mind-boggling good and his regular season stats are obviously spectacular.

Brady = Manning = Rodgers > Brees = Rivers > Everyone else.

Brees can rather easily join those top 3 with a bounceback to begin next year but he was rather inconsistent this season. Rivers needs to do some serious work to get up there as his team success is not close to being good enough to put him as elite.

When being a fanboi goes too far.

Comment

I don't consider Roethlisberger an elite QB. Certainly not on a level with Manning and Brady. Rodgers is closer than Roethlisberger. I'd say with another great year he'd be on par with Brees (who I consider just a step down from Manning/Brady). The talent is there and possibly better, but the experience isn't there yet.

1a - Manning
          1b - Brady

2a - Brees
          2b - Rodgers

3a - Rivers
          3b - Roethlisberger, and that is taking the 2 rings and past clutch performances heavily into account. If he weren't the QB of the Steelers he probably wouldn't be this high.

Comment

Originally posted by Sportsfan486 View Post
            Considering Ben's playoff blehness this year, it's rather hard to include him in the crowd. His thing was being clutch and he was far from it this year.

Rodgers is clearly there with Manning and Brady. Not even a question now. His 7 post-season games, if you include the 2 win-or-go-homes this year are mind-boggling good and his regular season stats are obviously spectacular.

Brees can rather easily join those top 3 with a bounceback to begin next year but he was rather inconsistent this season. Rivers needs to do some serious work to get up there as his team success is not close to being good enough to put him as elite.
            Eh, I'd still go with Manning = Brady > Rodgers = Brees > Rivers

I want to see Aaron do what he did for another two or three years and maybe an MVP or atleast OPOY award. However I think he can and will.

Comment

1a Peyton Manning
              1b Tom Brady
              3 Aaron Rodgers
              4 Phillip Rivers
              5 Drew Brees

Comment

I'd put Rodgers right there with Brady / Manning / Brees. When it comes down to it, Brees having a less than stellar year is expected with the SB Hangover and the only knock on Rodgers is that he hasn't done it long enough. Unless elite, by definition, should preclude guys based on years of service, I can't see any way Rodgers isn't.

Sig img shamelessly stolen from teh interwebs

Comment

Originally posted by FlyingElvis View Post
                  I'd put Rodgers right there with Brady / Manning / Brees. When it comes down to it, Brees having a less than stellar year is expected with the SB Hangover and the only knock on Rodgers is that he hasn't done it long enough. Unless elite, by definition, should preclude guys based on years of service, I can't see any way Rodgers isn't.
                  I think one more great year will do it but I'm not ready to put him on that top tier yet.

Comment

Definitely. 300 yards, 3 TDs, 0 INTs is a dream line for a Super Bowl performance, not including the drops his receivers had.

Big Ben averaging 18/30, 214, 1 TD, 2 INTs in Super Bowls. He won one, the Steelers won one in spite of him, and he was the biggest reason they lost yesterday. Not elite. Some of his passes were terrible.

Thanks to BK for the sig

Comment

Why, yes. Yes, he is.

Fantastic.
                      "I'm Ko Simpson!"

- Ko Simpson

Comment

Rodgers is "elite" ( his play really has been for the past two seasons), but I have a hard time agreeing with those of you who are putting him on par with Brady just yet. Needs a few more seasons at the same level and deep playoff runs.

What do the vikings and marijuana have in common? Every time you put them in a bowl
                        they get smoked.

2010-2011 Super Bowl Champions
                        Hint:Not the Bears.

Comment

Originally posted by killxswitch View Post
                          I think one more great year will do it but I'm not ready to put him on that top tier yet.
                          Eh, I don't understand this. He's done it for 3 years. Seven playoff games his average stats are.. 307 yards, 67% completion, 3 TDs, 0.6 Ints / game.
                          I repeat.

307 yards, 67% completion, 3 TDs, 0.6 Ints a GAME in post-season (including the 2 games this year that were win or go homes, BUT NOT the game against backups last year.)

And an average at best running game. Go ahead and compare it to any QB, ever. And seven post-season games is a large sample. Defenses he played in those seven games? Giants, Philly, Falcons, Cardinals, Bears x2, Steelers. That's not a powderpuff lineup with the Bears and Steelers being top 5 and the best the year we played them.

3 years, a Super Bowl title, and 7 post-season games is enough of a sampling for eliteness.
                          Last edited by Sportsfan486; 02-07-2011, 03:08 PM.

When being a fanboi goes too far.

Comment

Originally posted by Sportsfan486 View Post

But if Roethlisberger's loss of clutch play prevents him from getting to "elite" status, couldn't that hurt Brady too? I know Brady's play is still amazingly good right now, but Roethlisberger also did pretty well after coming back from suspension. The only difference is that Roethlisberger is surrounded by much better talent on both offense and defense. So what keeps Brady in as an elite QB and not Roethlisberger? Is it because he's been doing much more with much less?

And if that is why Brady is an elite, shouldn't Rodgers be elite for the same reason? I mean, his play has been amazing and he's always played well in the playoffs and any losses are because of his defense, which has finally stepped up this year.

performances heavily into account. If he weren't the QB of the Steelers he probably wouldn't be this high.
                            Agreed.

I don't consider Roethlisberger an elite QB. Certainly not on a level with Manning and Brady. Rodgers is closer than Roethlisberger. I'd say with another great year he'd be on par with Brees (who I consider just a step down from Manning/Brady). The talent is there and possibly better, but the experience isn't there yet.
                            What experience are you looking for from Rodgers? The biggest game of his career and it's impossible to have him play any better. He was poised and making plays even when his pocket was collapsing. He read the defense really well, it was obvious he spent hours on hours in the film room and not getting drunk at a bar. Half of his incompletions, which there weren't many of, were due to drops. He had 4 bad passes while he threaded perfect balls during clutch situations. He barely had a run game to complement him. It's obvious that his skills and mental game have caught up to his athleticism this year. The four bad passes yesterday by him were the only flaws in his game during THE GAME. What experience could you be looking for?

Comment

Definitely. But not because of stats or rings, because that stuff is reliant on other players and other variables.

hes elite because he can do anything you could ask of him. Game winning drive, dominant games, throw from the pocket, make plays when it breaks down, change the play at the line, whatever, the guy does it all. He throws a great ball with tremendous accuracy and understanding of whats going on on the field. There is not a single qb trait he lacks.

The only thing to look out for with him is will he fall off like brees did? I dont think so, his recievers are so good and he already said he wants to go for two in a row, i dont see it happening. Man's for real.
                              Last edited by hockey619; 02-07-2011, 03:05 PM.
                              Originally posted by Thumper/JBCX/Bixby
                              Orton will never be in the same class as the Drew Brees or the Peyton Mannings or the Tom Bradys of the world. Kevin Kolb has the potential to be that kind of player.

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information