X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Backus signed to new six-year contract with Lions

Lions | Backus signed to new six-year contract
    Thu, 13 Jul 2006 16:04:45 -0700

Len Pasquarelli, of ESPN.com, reports the Detroit Lions have signed their franchise player, OT Jeff Backus, to a new six-year contract. The contract is worth neary $40 million and includes about $16 million in bonuses. The deal makes Backus the sixth-highest paid offensive lineman in the NFL. The team was battling a deadline to have him signed by 4:00 p.m. Friday, July 14, or else he would have had the franchise designation to him for the rest of the deal.

That's a whole lot of money. Personally I don't think he deserves being the sixth highest paid olineman in the NFL, but he could improve his play this season with his new contract. I guess this means Joe T. to the Lions is now much less possible.

Too much mulah.

BoneKrusher

Comment

lol The Lions are worse than the Browns when it comes to finding good Olineman and thinking they actually have a good one when he is just ok. Man, I didn't think that was possible.

Comment

Backus is alright, I can bet that the contract is structured so that they can cut him after a year or two.

Designs by Thule

Comment

When will the Lions learn...

Why spend that much money on a tackle that is average.

Comment

Again I ask, why wasn't Millen fired?

Comment

Originally posted by HarringtonSucks
              Again I ask, why wasn't Millen fired?
              Maybe you should change your name to MillenSucks, it worked for Joey Harrington.

Comment

6th highest paid. :?

Things like this aren't good for the NFL, it makes players get too much money. Now other average linemen will get this, then the one's that actually deserve it will want more.

That is correct comahan
                I ******* LOVE YOU DG
                <3 dg

Comment

I've never even heard of the guy.

Comment

Originally posted by draftguru151

Things like this aren't good for the NFL, it makes players get too much money. Now other average linemen will get this, then the one's that actually deserve it will want more.
                    There's something called the salary cap that prevents player salary inflation.

Comment

Originally posted by Moses

You are crazy if you dont think that after this season everyone isnt going to want a contract way bigger than arch

Comment

Originally posted by SeanTaylor21
                        Originally posted by Moses

You are crazy if you dont think that after this season everyone isnt going to want a contract way bigger than arch
                        They won't get it though because of the salary cap. Teams can only spend so much.

Comment

But teams find a way to give guys more money, i.e. Washington.

That is correct comahan
                          I ******* LOVE YOU DG
                          <3 dg

Comment

But teams find a way to give guys more money, i.e. Washington.
                            And how would they do that? The salary cap can't just be ignored.

Comment

If Kevin Schaeffer can almost get that much, he's worth it.

"A real man makes his own luck." Billy Zane, Titanic

Originally posted by Emmitt Smith
                              Donít quit, donít even quit.

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information