Brett Favre comeback or Aaron Rodger's New Era

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brett Favre comeback or Aaron Rodger's New Era

Mods: I made a question like this one, but I phrased it wrong and people didn't understand what I was saying (my fault). Hopefully this will be a more accurate poll and people understand this time.

Do you think Favre should have come back, or do you think it is time for the Aaron Rodgers Era of football to begin the Green Bay? This isn't who should start (my fault on last poll), but if you think it would be better for the organization if Favre retired and Rodgers would take over now, or Favre should come back and Rodgers should keep holding a clipboard.

In my opinion, Aaron Rodgers was drafted to be the franchise QB. Brett Favre's career is over and he has nothing more to prove. The Packers, in all likelihood, won't make the playoffs and this is a wasted season if Rodgers doesn't play a lot. If the Pack want to get back in contention they need to look towards the future and give Aaron Rodgers his learning curve. If he doesn't play a lot, they will suffer a lot in 2007 because he won't have that added experience. He should know the playbook pretty well, and he isn't a rookie.

It was good that Favre came back. Not only did he give the packers a better chance to win, he also gave Rodgers more time to learn under a future HOF. And let's face it. The packers didn't really gain to many playmakers on offense this year, so if Rodgers came in due to favre retiring, he could end up losing confindence and free-falling from there.

Hitman D

"The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation." - Henry David Thoreau

Comment

Favre retiring would have been better for the team b/c Rodgers needs to start playing asap.

Comment

Brett isn't setting back Aaron at all, if anything he could stand to have another year to learn from one of the greats. Alot of great QB's have spent their 1st couple of years on the bench learning the game, one more year isn't gonna hurt Aaron.
        Originally posted by njx9
        i invite all of you to spam the board with moronic topics that aren't even vaguely entertaining. please.

Comment

Originally posted by Vince Lombardi
          Brett isn't setting back Aaron at all, if anything he could stand to have another year to learn from one of the greats. Alot of great QB's have spent their 1st couple of years on the bench learning the game, one more year isn't gonna hurt Aaron.
          One such example is Matt Hasselbeck. In his first two years in the league with the Packers, he attempted a total of 29 passes. He made his first start in his 3rd year. Now, he's a Pro Bowl QB. Hopefully the same will be said about Rodgers.

Comment

How many years do you need to sit and learn? You don't learn on the bench after your first year unless you are a project like Vince Young that is serious overhaul. Rodgers has great physical skills and has the mechanics down pat. He needs experience.

He is costing the team millions of dollars holding a clipboard and Favre is costing them more because they won't make the playoffs. Not only will they win 7-9 games and not make the playoffs (a waste of a season) but they won't get that high draft pick they need. If Rogers plays they will only win 5-7 games, but at least he will be learning and he will get a much better player picking #8 instead of #15.

Comment

Originally posted by ny10804
              One such example is Matt Hasselbeck. In his first two years in the league with the Packers, he attempted a total of 29 passes. He made his first start in his 3rd year. Now, he's a Pro Bowl QB. Hopefully the same will be said about Rodgers.
              Bad comparison. Rodgers was a much MUCH more talented QB coming out than Hasselbeck. Hasselbeck was a little bit of a project. Rodgers isn't, he is a franchise QB. Hasselbeck was NOT franchise QB coming out of college.

Comment

Favre was a gunslinger when he was great and is still a gunslinger. He got by by talent. How much of that can be taught?

Comment

Originally posted by Simms2Clayton
                  Bad comparison. Rodgers was a much MUCH more talented QB coming out than Hasselbeck. Hasselbeck was a little bit of a project. Rodgers isn't, he is a franchise QB. Hasselbeck was NOT franchise QB coming out of college.
                  All I did was give an example of: " [the bolded] "

Comment

[quote="ny10804"][quote="Simms2Clayton"]
                    All I did was give an example of: " [the bolded] "
                    A lot of great QBs sit their first year then play. Carson Palmer is a prime example. Chris Simms would have played more in his 2nd year, but he got injured. Eli Manning is another. Drew Brees. Daunte Culpepper. Brett Favre (he was traded though). Jeff Garcia. Donovan McNabb, and I am only up to the M's.

The general consensus is to let the rookie start first year, and then play in the 2nd. I think it is bad for Rodgers to keep getting benched because it isn't doing him any good any more. That first year on the sidelines is important to understand what the NFL is about and learn the playbook. After that first year, then experience is the best teacher.

Comment

I think Favre coming back this year is best for the team, however, he should retire after this year.

BoneKrusher

Comment

Originally posted by Vikings Fan
                        Favre was a gunslinger when he was great and is still a gunslinger. He got by by talent. How much of that can be taught?
                        Great point. I don't know what all this "mentor" stuff is about. Do you think Favre is going to "teach all of the ins and outs"? No, only Rodgers can learn for himself. That is something only experience can teach.

The only thing I think a QB can help with is set an example through leadership and work ethic. Teach them to be a leader. Rodgers should have learned that by now.

Comment

Originally posted by Staubach12
                          I think Favre coming back this year is best for the team, however, he should retire after this year.
                          Explain how it is best for the team if they don't make the playoffs.

Because imo, the season would be a waste if he comes back and they don't.

Comment

This should be is last year if he does bad like he did last year then it was a big waste. I think he wants to make it to another Sb before he retires.

Thanks to jackalope

Comment

If you're talking best for the organization, it depends on what you mean. Do you mean money? Favre does not "cost millions". He brings in millions. Advertisers like being associated with Favre. Look at the Harris Poll. Favre is the third most popular athlete behind Tiger Woods and Michael Jordan. A lot of the TV games the Packers have had recently have been more for Favre on TV than the Packers on TV. Look at their TV schedule this year. How does a 4-12 team get that many national games? Favre. Then if you look at the merchandising the Packers do with him, Packers Pro Shop did $17.5 Million in revenue last year. I wonder what the change in revenue will be when Favre retires?

Aaron Rodgers also does not "cost millions". He has a graduated contract that took into account that he'd likely not be starting until next year, and contains clauses for playing time and performance in case he did become the starter. He'll cost millions next year, not this year.

If you mean wins, Favre has a much better chance of providing wins this year than Rodgers.

If you mean potential wins in the 2007+ season, then starting Rodgers probably the better choice. Nothing is guaranteed though. Favre was a second round pick, didn't play in Atlanta his first season and would not have played in Green Bay his second season if Don Majkowski hadn't had gotten hurt.
                              The pain fades and the good memories will remain.

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information