Pacman - 1 year suspension?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by princefielder28 View Post
    Like Greg Anthony said on Cold Pizza he's been questioned for alot of different instances but what has he been convicted of???? The NFL should wait until he faces legal consequences before they dish out their penalty.
    Sooo, basically, wait until he's the one to actually pull the trigger and kill someone in stead of telling someone else to. Excellent logic. I agree it's harsh but I also think, it's about damn time. Too many of these idiots get this gift of talent and know that even if they screw up, someone will keep giving them chances. Remember Lawrence Phillips??
    But I think the league needs to step up and not only apply this to Pacman, but Tank Johnson, Chris Henry, Odell Thurman and whoever else keeps spitting in the face of the law us regular people have to live by. White, black doesn't matter, get em out!

Comment

Originally posted by DeMonikk1 View Post
      Sooo, basically, wait until he's the one to actually pull the trigger and kill someone in stead of telling someone else to. Excellent logic. I agree it's harsh but I also think, it's about damn time. Too many of these idiots get this gift of talent and know that even if they screw up, someone will keep giving them chances. Remember Lawrence Phillips??
      But I think the league needs to step up and not only apply this to Pacman, but Tank Johnson, Chris Henry, Odell Thurman and whoever else keeps spitting in the face of the law us regular people have to live by. White, black doesn't matter, get em out!
      The others you mentioned were all convicted of something or there was the evidence to take them down right away. But with the way our legal system works you are innocent until proven guilty and Pac Man should get atleast that benefit.

Follow me on Twitter! http://twitter.com/#!/aMo_Captain

Comment

Originally posted by princefielder28 View Post
        The others you mentioned were all convicted of something or there was the evidence to take them down right away. But with the way our legal system works you are innocent until proven guilty and Pac Man should get atleast that benefit.
        I understand where you are coming from, but too many times, he HAS gotten the benefit already. What about is situations right after the draft? And leading up to the draft? He knows that because he is talented, he can get away with whatever he wants. And I am not trying to attack you in anyway about your opinion, I just get pissed reading about how these guys have a talent and opportunity I would kill for, and they surround themselves with idiots and such and repeatedly put themselves in bad spots because they know, hey, I'm rich, i'm talented, SOMEONE will sign me again anyway.

Comment

good to hear, maybe then pacman will realize "damn, this is my job, and now im unemployed for a year, i need to get my **** together."

Comment

I understand where you are coming from, but too many times, he HAS gotten the benefit already. What about is situations right after the draft? And leading up to the draft? He knows that because he is talented, he can get away with whatever he wants. And I am not trying to attack you in anyway about your opinion, I just get pissed reading about how these guys have a talent and opportunity I would kill for, and they surround themselves with idiots and such and repeatedly put themselves in bad spots because they know, hey, I'm rich, i'm talented, SOMEONE will sign me again anyway.
            I respect your view and completely get what you mean.

Follow me on Twitter! http://twitter.com/#!/aMo_Captain

Comment

where does this pull the trigger nonsense come from? If Pac-Man kills someone he's gonna have much bigger problems than the NFL. We have a judicial system for a reason that doesnt allow for people to just get charged with crimes without due course. They dont charge you with a crime for being in a place where a crime occurs. The same thing goes for the NFL. they cant just go suspending players unless they have done their due course and found out if the player actually broke any rules. And honestly, when it comes to the Chris Henrys and Odell Thurmans of the world who smoke weed and buy alcohol for minors and other nonsense like that, you are taking that stuff way too seriously. Honestly, who gives a flying ----- about that kind of stuff. And theyre not getting off b/c theyre athletes, theyre getting off b/c theyre minor crimes, our courts dont usually prosecute people who get caught with a bag of weed on them, they cut em a deal and that goes for everyone. We are seeing Jamal Lewis and Tank Johnson go to jail because their crimes constituted jail time by the letter of the law. I dont know what all this special treatment is all about. Its just the fact that they have so much going for them with them being pro athletes that the fines and classes dont seem like much consequence because their lives are great. I think people like you seem to want athletes to get prosecuted more severely than regular people.

Comment

Originally posted by TheChampIsHere View Post
                where does this pull the trigger nonsense come from? If Pac-Man kills someone he's gonna have much bigger problems than the NFL. We have a judicial system for a reason that doesnt allow for people to just get charged with crimes without due course. They dont charge you with a crime for being in a place where a crime occurs. The same thing goes for the NFL. they cant just go suspending players unless they have done their due course and found out if the player actually broke any rules. And honestly, when it comes to the Chris Henrys and Odell Thurmans of the world who smoke weed and buy alcohol for minors and other nonsense like that, you are taking that stuff way too seriously. Honestly, who gives a flying ----- about that kind of stuff. And theyre not getting off b/c theyre athletes, theyre getting off b/c theyre minor crimes, our courts dont usually prosecute people who get caught with a bag of weed on them, they cut em a deal and that goes for everyone. We are seeing Jamal Lewis and Tank Johnson go to jail because their crimes constituted jail time by the letter of the law. I dont know what all this special treatment is all about. Its just the fact that they have so much going for them with them being pro athletes that the fines and classes dont seem like much consequence because their lives are great. I think people like you seem to want athletes to get prosecuted more severely than regular people.

Well obviously SOMEONE does because there are laws regarding weed and alcohol for minors. Now I'm not saying I never did anything because I got into an assload of trouble, but your argument is ridiculous. So it's okay for Chris Henry to keep doing what he is doing, and for thurman to keep doing drugs because hey, it's only drugs and alcohol right? Your argument doesn't hold alot of weight.

Comment

For those of you saying that players aren't being "role models:" do you expect everybody to live their lives according to your morals and standards? Or just professional sports players? I think it's laughable that you'd expect anybody to be a role model for your kids except for you.

Vic Ketchman sums it up perfectly for me.

Mario from Fort Lauderdale, FL: What's your opinion on all these players getting in trouble with the law? Are we just making a big deal out of it because they're professional athletes?
                  Vic: Everyone is entitled to their own thoughts about this stuff. If it truly bothers you, I understand. My viewpoint has been hardened by 35 years of covering football. It’s no different now than it was when I started doing this. They got in trouble back then, too. The late George Young said something to me a long time ago and it governs my thoughts on these police-blotter matters. Young said, “It’s not a game for the well-adjusted.” It’s not. Most of the great players I’ve covered have had a scary side to them. I only know one great football player – Franco Harris – who didn’t have an aggressive personality. I want them to live by the law. I want them to be model citizens. I revel in those who are great players and great citizens. Mark Brunell, Tony Boselli, Byron Leftwich, Reggie Hayward and on and on are wonderful people with effervescent, loving, caring personalities. I am in awe of men like that who can be so tough on the field and so soft off it. Think about it. That’s an amazing ability; the ability to be all things to all people. Hooray for them, but I’m not going to sit in judgment of those who struggle to discipline their aggressiveness because I’d feel like a hypocrite that I cheer their aggressiveness on the field but condemn it off the field. For some, the aggressiveness that makes them great football player isn’t a light switch they can turn on and off.

http://jaguars.com/news/article.aspx?id=5903
                  Last edited by yourfavestoner; 03-24-2007, 09:03 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Patriots-Lions View Post
                    Wow. That's a serious punishment. Maybe they're trying to make an example out of him.
                    They are and they should.

Comment

Originally posted by Splat420 View Post
                      They are and they should.
                      Why? What crimes has he been convicted of to warrant being suspended for a year?

Comment

I think the NFL is going overboard here in trying to fix their image. As many have already said, wait until he gets convicted of something.

Comment

"Since then, Jones has become the poster child for players gone wild. His rap sheet features a litany of arrests, outbursts and a strong implication that he frequently uses marijuana.

Jones topped all of that in February.

He was involved in an incident that resulted in the shooting of three people in Las Vegas after the NBA All-Star Game. Exactly what happened leading up to the shootings is unclear, but there were various accounts and reports of Jones being robbed; Jones hitting a stripper; and a member of his entourage firing a gun in the strip club where the madness took place, leaving one of the victims paralyzed.

In the aftermath, it has been uncovered that Jones was involved in two other incidents that the Titans and the league were unaware of and, according to police surveillance recordings, he's an acquaintance of a known drug dealer."

O Ya he is a Saint come on they have to play hard ball with him to open his eyes and the eyes of all the other troubled players in the NFL. The players backing the NFL on this shows a lot it has to stop bad players are giving good players a bad name.

Comment

You can't suspend a player for making himself look stupid, which is all Jones has done so far. That's absolutely ridiculous. It means the media would play a big role in who gets suspended by their coverage of events. It also means that players could become targets to provoke off the field to try and take them out of games - a little extreme but possible.

If Pacman gets suspended at all without a conviction, then the NFL needs to send out equal suspensions to everyone in the past year or so who's made a negative headline - Chris Henry, Ricky Manning, Porter and Levi Jones etc. Oh and they'd need to double whatever they give Jones and give that to Tank Johnson.

Just because Pacman's recent incidents are likely the straws that broke the camel's back doesn't mean all the stuff in recent times can be excused and he can be used as a scapegoat to send a message - if you're going to be strong, you've got to go the whole way and send a real message.

As far as I'm concerned, "suspension without conviction" is opening a whole can of worms that means players could now be at the mercy of the media. Anything Pacman does now days that isn't in the mold of Mr Good Citizen is going to get reported. Is that his fault? Sure, but the media plays a role too, and where do you draw the line? Is being approached by a psycho with a knife at a family bowling alley and making headlines your fault? Is having your house robbed your fault?

The NFL would be wise to refrain from acting the role of the morality police and just let the real police do their job, and act accordingly once the justice system has made its determination. It isn't happening on their field after all. If they think having a squeaky clean image for the league is possible, they're dreaming, wherever there are professional athletes, there will ALWAYS be the occasional incident - it's a world wide phenomenon. Unfortunately, every so often you're going to get players that take the "occasional incident" to the extreme, but there's just no way a direct fair line can be drawn between when enough is enough.

Comment

Originally posted by Schenkel23 View Post
                              I think the NFL is going overboard here in trying to fix their image. As many have already said, wait until he gets convicted of something.
                              I agree completely. Like that opinion column I quoted says..."football is not a game for the well-adjusted." It's a sport that welcomes and encourages aggressiveness and violence, and, for many players, that's a part of their personalities. You're going to have players who break the law. So let the judicial system deal with it.

Comment

Originally posted by OzTitan View Post
                                You can't suspend a player for making himself look stupid, which is all Jones has done so far.
                                That is not all he is done he has made the whole NFL look stupid he has made the Tennessee Titans look stupid for drafting him the guy has no one to blame but his self. If he was a no body everyone on here would want to lock him away and throw away the key but since he plays football he gets a pass and it ain't right.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information