Pacman - 1 year suspension?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Splat420 View Post
    That is not all he is done he has made the whole NFL look stupid he has made the Tennessee Titans look stupid for drafting him the guy has no one to blame but his self. If he was a no body everyone on here would want to lock him away and throw away the key but since he plays football he gets a pass and it ain't right.
    If he was a nobody, the NFL probably wouldn't want to ban him for a year to make an example of him, since no one would care.

Comment

I don't think its fair that he gets no punishments for doing alot of stupid things and than all of a sudden gets suspeneded for an entire year. Treat it like steriods, give him a 4 game suspension first.
      "We're only going to score 17 points?" Brady said before chuckling about it. "OK. Is Plax playing defense? I wish he had said 45-42 and gave us a little credit for scoring more points."

Comment

Regardless my point remains - if the NFL are going to start handing out suspensions for corrupting their apparently clean image without convictions, they are allowing media exposure and interpretation to dictate when a player violates this policy. It's simply not possible to judge this fairly each time - each and every case would need to be individually judged and that's just a hotbed for favoritism, corruption, and varying opinion from case to case. I think it's opening a can of worms the NFL would regret opening.

Suspending a player because he broke the law is clean, cut and effective. It's a simple black and white process. As far as I care, if law is good enough for me and the general public, it's good enough for NFL players.

Comment

Originally posted by yourfavestoner View Post
          Why? What crimes has he been convicted of to warrant being suspended for a year?
          yeah I dont think the NFL has any real rights to suspend him for a year. He hasnt been convicted of anything. If the Titans should decide to deactive him or something for conduct detrimental to the team then I wouldnt argue b/c even if I wouldnt do the same thing thats their decision to make and they dont have to put him on the field if they dont want. But the NFL cant just go suspending people without the due process of the law going through, it would be unconstitutional.

Comment

Originally posted by DeMonikk1 View Post
            Well obviously SOMEONE does because there are laws regarding weed and alcohol for minors. Now I'm not saying I never did anything because I got into an assload of trouble, but your argument is ridiculous. So it's okay for Chris Henry to keep doing what he is doing, and for thurman to keep doing drugs because hey, it's only drugs and alcohol right? Your argument doesn't hold alot of weight.
            Im saying for us as fans...the premise that it taints the image of the whole NFL that some of the guys in it smoke weed is just ridiculous. I mean welcome to the real world. Anyone who thinks all these guys are perfect and none of them use drugs or drink or break the law or have personal problems. Its just a ridiulous premise. And I never said its okay for Henry to keep breaking the law, Im just saying I could personally care less about Henry and the trouble he gets in as long as it is minor stuff like that b/c its not important. And I dont think any other fan should care a whole lot about it either. It shouldnt be headline news when Chris Henry gets pulled over and they find a bag of weed in his car. As far as Im concerned, whatever legal consequences Henry deals with for marijuana charges or whatever is enough penalty in itself. If the NFL also wants to adopt a rule where if you get convicted of a crime you get 1 warning and the next time a 4 game suspension and the next time a 1 year suspension or something along the lines of that, something similar to the drug policy, Id be fine with that too. But the argument we just need to kick all these guys out of the league cuz theyre bad role models and theyre hurting the image of the NFL is just ridiculous. And the idea of suspending people for crimes they didnt get convicted of is flat out unconstitutional.

Comment

And I remind people, don't just approach this as what you think Jones personally deserves - look at it from a standpoint for what it would mean from now on. The new rule would be "If a player or a person with said player is a responsible for conduct detrimental to the NFL's image, he will be handed down a suspension for a length determined by us". See how wide open to interpretation that is? See how easily the judgment panel's opinion of a player could impact the penalty?

And where's the cut off for this new rule if they're going to impose it on a player who did something before it was implemented? the last few weeks? the last year? just Pacman? How is that fair?

Comment

Originally posted by TheChampIsHere View Post
                yeah I dont think the NFL has any real rights to suspend him for a year. He hasnt been convicted of anything. If the Titans should decide to deactive him or something for conduct detrimental to the team then I wouldnt argue b/c even if I wouldnt do the same thing thats their decision to make and they dont have to put him on the field if they dont want. But the NFL cant just go suspending people without the due process of the law going through, it would be unconstitutional.
                I do not believe Pacman should be suspended, but your calling of it as "unconstituional" is ridiculous. The NFL is a privately owned business that has the right to regulate how it runs by itself. If what you are suggesting is that the government has the right to interfere with how the NFL is run, then that would be unconstitutional. No law would be broken by the NFL suspended pacman.

Comment

Originally posted by Splat420 View Post
                  "Since then, Jones has become the poster child for players gone wild. His rap sheet features a litany of arrests, outbursts and a strong implication that he frequently uses marijuana.

Jones topped all of that in February.

He was involved in an incident that resulted in the shooting of three people in Las Vegas after the NBA All-Star Game. Exactly what happened leading up to the shootings is unclear, but there were various accounts and reports of Jones being robbed; Jones hitting a stripper; and a member of his entourage firing a gun in the strip club where the madness took place, leaving one of the victims paralyzed.

In the aftermath, it has been uncovered that Jones was involved in two other incidents that the Titans and the league were unaware of and, according to police surveillance recordings, he's an acquaintance of a known drug dealer."

O Ya he is a Saint come on they have to play hard ball with him to open his eyes and the eyes of all the other troubled players in the NFL. The players backing the NFL on this shows a lot it has to stop bad players are giving good players a bad name.
                  The part that I bolded is the only instance you mentioned where Jones himself is even IMPLICATED in doing anything. As far as the shooting - we're still waiting to see how involved he was, or if he was even involved at all.

You also realize that it's not against the law to be the acquaintance of a drug dealer, don't you? When the **** did association become a crime?

Comment

The NFL is a job not like any other job but a job if you did the stuff that Pac Man has been doing what do you think your boss would do?

Comment

Well first I'd ask how the hell my boss knew about the incidents as they wouldn't be reported in the paper :)

Oh and you can sure as hell bet there would be a law suit in order if you were fired or suspended without pay for being around trouble but not arrested for it in a normal job too btw.
                      Last edited by OzTitan; 03-24-2007, 11:19 AM.

Comment

I forgot he plays in the NFL which makes him above all of us and the law instead of making him sit a year we should just give him more money for making it in the paper and on the news.

Comment

Originally posted by OzTitan View Post
                          Well first I'd ask how the hell my boss knew about the incidents as they wouldn't be reported in the paper :)

Oh and you can sure as hell bet there would be a law suit in order if you were fired or suspended without pay for being around trouble but not arrested for it in a normal job too btw.
                          And Pacman can't file a lawsuit?

Comment

Originally posted by Zim3031 View Post
                            And Pacman can't file a lawsuit?
                            Sure, he could, but this goes back to my "opening a can of worms" thing - this isn't a once off thing, players arguably hurt the NFL's image all the time, why impose a policy if it is open to law suits? Stick to what the law determines is against its rules and act off that. You can't sue against that and I think it's more than enough - as I said, if the law's good enough for me and general society, it should be good enough for the NFL.

Comment

Originally posted by OzTitan View Post
                              Sure, he could, but this goes back to my "opening a can of worms" thing - this isn't a once off thing, players arguably hurt the NFL's image all the time, why impose a policy if it is open to law suits? Stick to what the law determines is against its rules and act off that. You can't sue against that and I think it's more than enough - as I said, if the law's good enough for me and general society, it should be good enough for the NFL.
                              If the league suspends Pacman, Pacman files a lawsuit claiming that the suspension was unfair and unlawful and wins, then the NFL's policy will have been clearly suited as ridiculous and the reputation hit alone will cause them to abandon it. If something like that happens, the NFL will likely lose tons of revenue from some place or another and they would've learned their lesson when it comes to imposing idiotic policies.

Comment

"Goodell and the league are expected to get the full support of the NFL Players Association, making it difficult for individual players such as Jones to stop such penalties short of a lengthy court battle."

If the NFLPA is backing Goodell that shows how much trouble he has caused I don't see how any one could feel sorry for him.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information