No announcement yet.

Pacman - 1 year suspension?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

About time. Maybe it will send messages to other players and wanna be ganstas.

Comment

Originally posted by OzTitan View Post
      BTW LSUALUM99:

http://www.lectlaw.com/files/emp08.htm

Granted it does mention termination and not suspension and that's just for Colorado (it mentions 15 states have similar laws), but it's an example that I think this area isn't black and white itself and I think there's a good chance it would go to court, either with Pacman or someone else down the line.

I just think it's a mess waiting to happen and that sticking to disciplinary actions for actual law breakers is more than enough to address image concerns. Honestly I don't even see why people seem to connect what stupid stuff Pacman does to either the Titans or the NFL - his off the field actions don't influence my opinion of either in the slightest because I don't expect the NFL or the Titans to act as the morality police. I expect the NFL to act on players who break the law and I expect the Titans to act on players who negatively influence their team like TO did for the Eagles. If Pacman wants to hang around thugs and come inches away from losing his career every weekend that's his choice, I don't see why anyone thinks that makes the NFL look bad and if they were truly serious about it, they'd screen these players before they even entered the league in the first place. I don't think it's so much the NFL trying to think of a long term image solution than it is the NFL trying to find someone to use as a image "quick fix".

From that same article you forgot to print this quote:

"If the Constitution doesn't apply to the private workplace, what
      does?

The vast majority of American employees, of whom there are 100
      million in all, are governed by a doctrine called "employment at
      will." This doctrine, a relic of 19th century anti-labor laws, gives
      employers the unfettered right to fire workers at any time, for any
      reason, whether grave or frivolous. Indeed, one can be fired for no
      reason at all."

The fact is that the vast majority of the states in the US are 'at will' states. Tennessee is one of them btw.

Designs by Thule

Originally posted by DMWSackMachine
      I just wanna warn you guys not to take TNew41 too seriously. He's....let's just say, special. He's fairly harmless, though. He just needs several years of seasoning before he tries to make any more points, is all.

Comment

Also,

Why are some of you confused as to the obligations of any employer to it's employees. An employer has every right to hire and fire it's employees for whatever reasons it wants. You can't dictate whom they hire or whom they fire.

Imagine how idiotic it would be for a player not drafted into the NFL to take them to court. Even Clarett's case was won by the NFL and that wasn't wheter he was drafted or not, that was just whether he should be ALLOWED to be drafted.

Designs by Thule

Originally posted by DMWSackMachine
        I just wanna warn you guys not to take TNew41 too seriously. He's....let's just say, special. He's fairly harmless, though. He just needs several years of seasoning before he tries to make any more points, is all.

Comment

Whats all the fuss about? The NFL needs to get tougher on its players. And they have every right too. At the end of the day, players are merely employees. They are held accountable at work just like the rest of us. You should be able to fire a worker if his actions warrant it.

Comment

Originally posted by bigbluedefense View Post
            Whats all the fuss about? The NFL needs to get tougher on its players. And they have every right too. At the end of the day, players are merely employees. They are held accountable at work just like the rest of us. You should be able to fire a worker if his actions warrant it.
            I think people are complaining of 2 things, 1. he hasn't been convicted and 2. why pac man and not the many other players that have done something.

That is correct comahan
            I ******* LOVE YOU DG
            <3 dg

Comment

Originally posted by LSUALUM99 View Post
              Also,

Why are some of you confused as to the obligations of any employer to it's employees. An employer has every right to hire and fire it's employees for whatever reasons it wants. You can't dictate whom they hire or whom they fire.

Imagine how idiotic it would be for a player not drafted into the NFL to take them to court. Even Clarett's case was won by the NFL and that wasn't wheter he was drafted or not, that was just whether he should be ALLOWED to be drafted.
              Im talking about the Titans firing him. The Titans obviously have every right to fire or cut him, which is what firing him would be. Im talking about the NFL issuing a suspension for mis conduct without carrying out a proper investigation and finding him guilty of something. I dont believe the NFL is techinically his employer, that is the Titans.

As far as laws overall for employees-employers im not pretending to be an expert here....I know it depends a lot on different companies and states so there is no one way it is done...I know there are some companies that have a period at the begginning of employment of someone where they can do that at-will firing deal. For instance, I had a job where they had a 3 month period when I first got hired and at the end of or any point during the 3 months they could decide to fire me without giving me any reason or anything, but after that firing me would get a lot more complicated....I eventually quit the job when I moved so it never came to that.

And who are all these people pretending to know for a fact what happenned at the club that night? Its ridiculous that so many of you are claiming it as fact that Pac-Man ordered the shooting. Stop pretending like you actually know exactly what went down there.

Comment

Originally posted by WinslowBodden View Post
                Yeah, and how many crimes has he been convicted of?

I HATE Pacman Jones, I am just saying, you take football away from him for a year, what does he do?

Hang out with his friends that are bad already, the dude needs football, tell him he has one more chance, and if he messes up again hes out of the league FOR GOOD.
                Football is not always going to be around for Pacman. He is going to have to learn to live without it. The guy is in his mid 20's. Most people at that age have something to do and live responsible lives. No exceptions or excuses for Pacman.

Time for him to grow up.

Comment

If Pacman was the 50th guy on a roster, he would have been cut, perhaps blacklisted (except from Cincy) and nobody would care. He was, however, a top ten pick, a star in the NFL, and has a high salary. He violated NFL rules by not mentioning to the NFL that he was arrested two times previous. The NFL has every right to suspend him. The Players association will "appeal" but its not worth crying over spilt milk.

They're trying to make an example of him like baseball and Barry Bonds. The thing that keeps the NFL so successful is its image and if Pacman is threatening that then he his potentially costing the league tens of millions
                  Last edited by my future me; 03-26-2007, 10:28 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by my future me View Post
                    If Pacman was the 50th guy on a roster, he would have been cut, perhaps blacklisted (except from Cincy) and nobody would care. He was, however, a top ten pick, a star in the NFL, and has a high salary. He violated NFL rules by not mentioning to the NFL that he was arrested two times previous. The NFL has every right to suspend him. The Players association will "appeal" but its not worth crying over spilt milk.

They're trying to make an example of him like baseball and Barry Bonds. The thing that keeps the NFL so successful is its image and if Pacman is threatening that then he his potentially costing the league tens of millions
                    yeah when you work in the mail room for some company, they're gonna fire you at the first hint of trouble. Youre a mail room worker, youre not skilled, they have no reason to put up with any problems. If youre one of the top brokers for that same company, you think they'll just fire you easily? No, youre valuable too them. This is the way of the world. Of course an NFL team will put up with more stuff from Pac-Man Jones than they will Travis Laboy

Comment

Working...
                    X

Debug Information