Grade your teams offseason

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

B+ for the Jets.

We added some decent role players and refused to overpay for anyone.

Thomas Jones in NICE trade and a favorable contract.

Comment

B for the Chargers.

Got rid of the Schotty curse, got unproven Norv instead. Probably a negative, but at least we have a chance in the playoffs.

Re-signed Lorenzo Neal, Shaun Phillips and Kris Dielman (and some other role players): excellent.

That's it... until we end up with Mike Brown. You heard it here first!

Comment

Falcons:

Signed:

Joe Horn, WR (Should bring veteran leadership to this team and become a consistent pass catcher for Michael Vick)

Ovie Mughelli, FB (A big, bruising, 250-pound FB who will make those holes for our playmakers. Was 2nd-team all pro behind only Lorenzo Neal)

Lewis Sanders, CB (The 6-year vet will compete for the teams nickleback spot and is an upgrade over Allen Rossum in coverage)

Toniu Fonoti, OG (After an incredible 1st year with the Chargers, this journeyman offensive lineman battled problems with injuries and weight issue, one time being close to 400 pounds. If he can produce, great pickup, as he doesn't cost us anything, if not, oh well, we can release him)

Marcus Wilkins, DB (Special teams beast will replace Ike Reese and has a shot at making the pro-bowl here, nice pick-up)

Chris Redman, QB (Vet-QB will back up Michael Vick, had one good year with the Ravens then went seemingly un-noticed for the rest of his career)

Released:

Patrick Kerney, DE (Was expected to come up big last season across from John Abraham, instead, was injured most of the year. Will miss his leadership but can be replaced)

Justin Griffith, FB (Was a great asset to the team, but we were interested in a bigger fullback to help our goal-line situations, where Griffith struggled)

Matt Lehr, OG (Struggled to keep his ground and was consistently pushed around, even on the juice, will not be missed)

Ashley Lelie, WR (Was supposed to be the big, deep-threat this team was looking for. Instead, had a case of the dropsies and couldn't keep his footing)

Ed Hartwell, LB (Very disappointing signing, was supposed to be the big, run stopping LB we were looking for coming for the Ravens, instead battled injuries through-out his tenure here and was out-played by DeMorrio Williams)

Ike Reese, LB (Was not much other than a special teamer, where he played fine, easily replaced by Wilkins)

Traded:

Matt Schaub, QB (Was the back-up to the inconsistent Michael Vick. Was a risk to trade, but I feel the Falcons got the best of this one. Swapping 1st rounders with the Texans, while also picking up 2 2nd rounders, including one for this season, and one for 2008)

Overall:

Loved this offseason for Atlanta, picking up extra draft picks while doing what we had to do to improve this team. If we do nicely in the draft, will be perfect. But for now, I still consider it a good one.

Rating: B+
        Last edited by Draft King; 03-25-2007, 12:23 PM.

Comment

I am very pleased with Millen's offseason for Detroit (shockingly):

They didn't play into the bidding wat for London Fletcher or Kevin Curtis. I'd rather not have them if it mean overpaying for them.

Dewayne White is a good signing. We got a CB in Travis Fisher for depth. Mulitalo is a good starter on the offensive line. Trading Hall for a draft pick is better than cutting him outright. Getting Foster and Bell for Bly adds two helpful players for a guy who didn't want to be here. McDonald gives us a better 3rd receiver option.

We didn't lose any significant contributors in free agency (except for Terrance Holt who was a fringe starter anyways).

And if Millen can pull off a deal down from 2 (as he very well should be able to) then we will have a very good draft too.

I give it an A-
          R.I.P. L.E.F.
          "I am the one who knocks!"

Comment

Bears
            SO far F-
            didn't want to pay our super bowl coach.
            traded our proven rb and our second rounder for a second rounder
            our pro bowl lb hates us
            no real important fa signings, so this off season has been terrible

Comment

Patriots

A-

im not satisfied with giving up a 2nd rounder for Welker..an average returnman andgood slot. so it goes from A + to A- because we gave up a 2

Comment

Originally posted by OhioState View Post
                Bears
                SO far F-
                didn't want to pay our super bowl coach.
                traded our proven rb and our second rounder for a second rounder
                our pro bowl lb hates us
                no real important fa signings, so this off season has been terrible
                Get a clue.

We DID pay our Superbowl coach, so everything prior to that is irrelivant.

We HAD to trade Thomas Jones, and considering the market got good value for him.

"Our pro bowl lb hates us"- What are you five years old? Who cares? This isn't a tea party. He's still contractually on the team, would have been smarter to let him go for nothing?

What important signings would you suggest we make? We don't need to add starters, and with this market it would have been stupid to pay millions of dollars to overrated people that we don't need. The starter that we did add, we got for a paultry 6th round pick and a relatively small contract.

Go back to getting your analysis from Saun Salisbury and friends. It's Bears fans like you that make me glad I left the official board.
                Last edited by bearsfan_51; 03-25-2007, 12:40 PM.

Nobody cares about your stupid fantasy team.

Comment

I dont think it's fair to judge the Packer's offseason yet, TT is known as being a draft god and that is where he builds his team.......im going too wait till april 30th to judge the packers offseason

Comment

Originally posted by gbpackers0065 View Post
                    I dont think it's fair to judge the Packer's offseason yet, TT is known as being a draft god and that is where he builds his team.......im going too wait till april 30th to judge the packers offseason
                    I really like TT, but "draft god"?? I think the Packers need to..oh I dunno..win somes games before he's put in the upper eschelon of GM's.

He did a nice job in Seattle, but he never had full control and was never the final decision maker.

Comment

YAY we got an oline....wait....we lost our defence....dam i guess my 78th birthday was the peak for me....****

Sig By Diehardvikingfan

Comment

New Orleans Saints

Outside Free Agents Signed: Brian Simmons (LB), Kevin Kaesviharn (S), Eric Johnson (TE).
                        Own Players Re-signed: Scott Shanle (LB), Hollis Thomas (DT), Jonathan Stinchcomb (OT), Billy Miller (TE), Dejuan Groce (CB), Franchised Charles Grant (DE).
                        Players Lost: Joe Horn (WR), Ernie Conwell (TE), Danny Clark (LB), Terrence Melton (LB).

Saints are pretty much doing what I expected them to do in FA. Be wise with their cap money. Instead of overspending for 1 or 2 high profile FA's they've been looking for fiscally smart deals so they can sign a bunch of solid contributors, and re-sign their own players.

As of now 20/22 starters from last season are returning, and they've upgraded at TE, MLB, and added depth to the Safety spot. A huge negative that brings the overall grade down is that the Cornerback position has not been addressed yet.. which is by far the biggest need on the team.

Overall Grade: B

Comment

Originally posted by bearsfan_51 View Post
                          Get a clue.

We DID pay our Superbowl coach, so everything prior to that is irrelivant.

We HAD to trade Thomas Jones, and considering the market got good value for him.

"Our pro bowl lb hates us"- What are you five years old? Who cares? This isn't a tea party. He's still contractually on the team, would have been smarter to let him go for nothing?

What important signings would you suggest we make? We don't need to add starters, and with this market it would have been stupid to pay millions of dollars to overrated people that we don't need. The starter that we did add, we got for a paultry 6th round pick and a relatively small contract.

Go back to getting your analysis from Saun Salisbury and friends. It's Bears fans like you that make me glad I left the official board.
                          it is not irrelevent since the relationship with lovie was damaged and that it was such a public display of weakness and cheapness
                          I didn't say we didn't have to trade Jones i'm just saying that the mistakes that were made to piss him off were the bad part.
                          The fact that lance briggs is dissatisfied is also important because it shows that our front office is not doing the right things to get the best production out of its employees. I also never said we should let him go but maybe we should have looked into moving him since that relationship is irreprable. players do things against their contracts all of the time (like hold out or not play ala randy moss).
                          Also i didn't say that getting archuleta was a bad move just a temporary fix and not that effective and why not pay for people that you can afford? They should have brought someone in to challenge rex for the job too since griese didn't seem to be able to beat him out and that says a lot since rex was so horrrible.
                          Last edited by OhioState; 03-25-2007, 01:31 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 24cadillac24 View Post
                            Tampa

Pickups

Jake Plummer
                            Jeff Garcia, QB
                            Kevin Carter, DE/DT
                            Patrick Chukwurah, DE/LB
                            Luke Petitgout, LT
                            Cato June, OLB,
                            Sammy Davis, CB
                            Lance Legree, DT

The Buccaneers certainly brought in some interesting players with interesting signing bonuses. Whilst the pickups of guys like Carter on hefty deals might be frowned upon, the deal does not in fact have any bonuses what so ever. Petitgout himself is only receiving 3 million in guarantees.

With Petitgout you get yourself a solid starter at LT and a definite upgrade. Garcia/Plummer give the Bucs healthy competition going into TC which was a must. Carter and Chukwurah add some depth to the D-Line which was at times pitiful last year. And Cato June is a player who is an ideal fit for our defense and should thrive.

Overall Grade: A-
                            I would have to disagree with you.

Jake Plummer
                            - Won't even compete in training camp and until I hear anything about him getting traded or showing up this is very very bad.
                            Pros: WCO veteran: Trade bait?: Mobile QB
                            Cons: So far he's retired!: We are paying 3 Qb's starting $: We gave something for nothing.
                            Grade: D-

Jeff Garcia- On paper this signing looks flawless, Veteran, expert WCO signal caller, relatively cheap for his ability. The negatives are hidden within the roster. I believe he will not only inflate the Buc's amount of Wins but deter Chris Simm's progression that will be needed when or if Jon Gruden leaves.
                            Pros: Mentor Gradkowski?: Good spirit guy: Team Leader: Gets it done: Semi mobile

Cons: Aging: Gets it done but playoff liability?: Stopping Simms' progress?: Arm strength?
                            Grade: C+

Cato June- Another "flawless" signing. He fits the system(He was Dungy's Derrick Brooks), he is young, He signed for cheap. Once again look beyond the obvious. First of all due to our current players the positions he has grown accustomed to playing in are already filled with veterans(Nece) or legends(Brooks). The Strong Side LB is the least meaningful position in the Tampa 2 and the Buc's already have someone who fits that spot nicely. They did not sign a Brooks clone in order for him to play such a position. So not only do the Buc's have to find a position for him to play in he might have to wait a season or two before he plays Weak Side LB. There is a possibility that Brooks may be willing to move positions but I do not believe Kiffen(DC) would ask him to do something like that. It is also believed that if June outplays his contract it would be guaranteed that he would ask for an extension or more likely a completely new contract so throw the "cheap" contract out.
                            Pros: Fits system perfectly: Cheap: Versatile:
                            Cons: Poor tackler: Converted safety: Can he make up for his size with play?: Where will he play?

Grade: B

Sammy Davis- Nothing to say. He is a bust. We have two young corners in the wings named Zemaitis and Phillip Buchanan(P-Buc) and you can bet we will pick up more in the draft or next years draft. Ronde Barber, Juran Bolden and Brian Kelly are serviceable.
                            Grade: Training Camp fodder=F

Lance LeGree- Once again another signing that will probably amount to nothing. He won't make a difference and will struggle to make the roster.
                            Pros: Cheap: Project player: Depth?
                            Cons: TC fodder?: Never produced anywhere
                            Grade: C

Kevin Carter- An experienced veteran who can bring some leadership and experience to a soon to be very young D-Line. I don't question his ability(I question his speed) but I have to wonder about his work ethic. After the first year in his contract no money is guaranteed and the only reason he signed in Tampa is to stay if Florida(am I off base?). He has excelled in the 3-4 but can he play the same way in the 4-3. Does he play DE and DT or both?
                            Pros: Cheap: Experienced veteran: Play DE and DT?: Leader
                            Cons: Doesn't have the speed from earlier in career: Washed up?: Lazy?
                            Grade: A- (Even if he fails his cheapness to ability ratio is too large)

Luke Petitgout- He blocked for Tiki which is all I needed to hear.....Until I saw his injury history, penalty problems, and the size of his contract. He has a high risk/high reward contract. IF he performs to his contract and ability he will be a bargain but if not we are stuck with an unfriendly cap hit. He was had a broken leg and back injuries both of which are very bad to have when you are an offensive lineman. He is 30 years old and turns 31 this June so for most O-Lineman his prime should be around the corner.
                            Pros: Mean streak: Versatile: Leader?: Good all-around player
                            Cons: Drive killing penalties: Injury history:

Grade: B-

Patrick Chukwurah- He signed for the cheapest of cheap(5 yr $5.5 Million) so no matter had bad or good he does I don't care. He will be a situational 3rd down pass-rusher and blitzer. Good for depth.
                            Pros: Cheap: Entering prime: Good pass-rusher
                            Cons: Journeyman: Never really produced anywhere: tweener which doesn't work in Tampa 2
                            Grade: A

Overall Grade- C
                            We paid for experience and depth. We got versatility and depth for both trenches but we injected age into an old team. We spent a lot but didn't get too much in return. Plenty of maybes but not too many sure things.

Comments?

Comment

Originally posted by OhioState View Post
                              it is not irrelevent since the relationship with lovie was damaged and that it was such a public display of weakness and cheapness
                              I didn't say we didn't have to trade Jones i'm just saying that the mistakes that were made to piss him off were the bad part.
                              The fact that lance briggs is dissatisfied is also important because it shows that our front office is not doing the right things to get the best production out of its employees. I also never said we should let him go but maybe we should have looked into moving him since that relationship is irreprable. players do things against their contracts all of the time (like hold out or not play ala randy moss).
                              Also i didn't say that getting archuleta was a bad move just a temporary fix and not that effective and why not pay for people that you can afford? They should have brought someone in to challenge rex for the job too since griese didn't seem to be able to beat him out and that says a lot since rex was so horrrible.
                              The relationship with Lovie is fine. He's paid like a top 10 coach now, all of his assistants were given extensions, and we allowed him to get rid of Rivera and promote Babich, his guy.

What mistakes were made, this offseason, to upset Thomas Jones? Name one.

Who cares if Lance Briggs is upset? Like you said, this kind of stuff happens all the time.

Good franchises should want guys to occasional be upset with their contracts. The Redskins throw money around like it's candy and they suck ass. Teams like the Pats and Eagles make players fight for each dime and it shows in the end. We offered Briggs a nice contract, he didn't want it, something will work out. Franchising Briggs was absolutely the right move and just because nothing has come of it now doesn't mean it won't. It's March. That's hardly a reason to give us an F-.

Who should we bring in at Quarterback? I don't think the Bears staff ever considered promoting Griese because they like Grossman at quarterback. Griese is one of the best backups out there and I would say he's better than anyone available. Would signing Drew Bledsoe or Brad Johnson really have improved things? And please don't bring up David Carr. I'd love to hear some reasoning why Carr is a better alternative than what we already have. If we want a guy that constantly dumps off to the runningback we can put Orton back in there.

We aren't wasting money because we don't have to. We have good players on our team. The objective is to resign those that are worth giving the big money to, and that will slowly work itself out. There's no reason to do something just to pacify stupid fans that don't know any better.

Again, stop getting your input from ESPN and think about this stuff objectively.

Comment

Originally posted by bearsfan_51 View Post
                                I really like TT, but "draft god"?? I think the Packers need to..oh I dunno..win somes games before he's put in the upper eschelon of GM's.

He did a nice job in Seattle, but he never had full control and was never the final decision maker.
                                turing the 05 packers into the 06 packers was quite a accomplishment......he really did it thru the draft and we by far had the best rookie class

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information