X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Non_Sequitur
    started a topic Theisman booted, replaced with Jaws

Theisman booted, replaced with Jaws

After one season as the lead analyst for “Monday Night Football” on ESPN, Joe Theismann will be dismissed and replaced by Ron Jaworski, the network is scheduled to announce today. Theismann is expected to be offered another job at the network.

He had also been ESPN’s analyst on “Sunday Night Football” from 1988 to 2005.

Replacing Theismann with Jaworski, who is known for his ESPN studio work but not for booth analysis, means exchanging one former quarterback with another. Jaworski, 56, played for the Eagles, and Theismann, 57, played for the Redskins.

It the second change for ESPN’s on-air crew since it acquired the rights to “Monday Night.” At first, Al Michaels was to be the play-by-play announcer, but he was released from his contract before he called a game in order to join NBC. Mike Tirico then replaced Michaels, and he joined Tony Kornheiser, the Washington Post columnist and co-host of ESPN’s “Pardon the Interruption,” and Theismann.

Although the first season of “Monday Night” on ESPN was its least viewed ever after 36 seasons on ABC — falling by more than four million a game — it was an unqualified success as a cable series, increasing ESPN’s viewership by 41 percent over the audience for “Sunday Night Football” in 2005.
    http://www.nytimes.com/2007/03/26/sp...theismann.html

Guest replied
    he's right espn does suck, and so does jaws. most announcers are so bad i almost can't watch the games without muting the tv.

Leave a comment:

• The Unseen
    replied
    Originally posted by Finlayson56 View Post
    ESPN sucks so it doesn't matter.
    Cowboys fans hate ESPN, eh?

I guess hiring Emmitt is a reconcilication movement of some sort...I'll have to look into that...

Leave a comment:

• Finlayson56
    replied
    ESPN sucks so it doesn't matter.

Leave a comment:

• Non_Sequitur
    replied
    Originally posted by TheChampIsHere View Post
    Jaws is sick, real knowledgable, interesting to listen to. Tony is still an idiot but oh well, hes a better color guy than Dennis Miller.
    Miller wasn't that bad. He gets a worse wrap then he should. He wasn't GOOD, but he was just about equal to Tony.

Leave a comment:

• TheChampIsHere
    replied
    Jaws is sick, real knowledgable, interesting to listen to. Tony is still an idiot but oh well, hes a better color guy than Dennis Miller.

Leave a comment:

• cunningham06
    replied
    OMG LOLZ JAWS IS ON NOW!!!!!!!! SWEET!!!

Seriously though, I hated Theisman anyone over him would be an upgrade over him. Having it be a huge Eagles fan? Definite plus.

Leave a comment:

• Non_Sequitur
    replied
    I like Jaws more than Thiesman, I just don't know how it'll work in the booth.

Leave a comment:

• RCAChainGang
    replied
    Ya Jaws >>>>>>>> Theisman

:)

Leave a comment:

• BuckNaked
    replied
    Originally posted by bored of education View Post
    Scary, Scary thought
    I think they would be very good together personally on MNF.

Leave a comment:

• bored of education
    replied
    Originally posted by BuckNaked View Post
    They should just upgrade Mike and Mike from Arena Football already.
    Scary, Scary thought

Leave a comment:

• princefielder28
    replied
    Great move by ESPN!!!!

Leave a comment:

• steelernation77
    replied
    they should've replaced him with hodge...it'd be like having a fan in the box every monday night.

I have to like anyone that constantly reps the Steelers.

Leave a comment:

• Staubach12
    replied
    Anything's better than Joe. Yes, even Jaws.

Leave a comment:

• The Unseen
    replied
    Originally posted by Geo View Post
    Seeing as how the Eagles won't be playing every Monday Night Football game, I can't see that being much of a problem.

This is nothing but a massive upgrade imo. Jaws actually knows what he is talking about, Jaws won't say something stupid that is contradicted by what happens on the field as he's saying it, Jaws won't contradict himself 5 minutes later, and Jaws won't be gun-shy about criticizing anyone leading up to the game and during.
    Well, he's not allowed to say who he thinks will win because he'll be broadcasting. That seems to be the dealio.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X

Debug Information