No announcement yet.

Who has the best Defense in the NFL?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

this is obviously the bears but the cowboys and colts should be on here if the eagles are.

Comment

I'd have to say the bucs. I can only go on last years results, this year hasn't started so it's hard to say. The bears may have had a good defense last year, but then again it's not hard to be good when you play the nfc north teams twice a year. A good defense will also help you go far in the playoffs, Pittsburgh and Seattle both have very good Defenses and were the representatives in the big game. Dallas also had a good D. I'd have to rank the top 5 as this:
      Bucs
      Steelers
      Seattle
      Dallas
      chargers

Comment

Originally posted by bigbluedefense
        But when you get into the playoffs, where teams study tape more thoroughly and divise gameplans etc, Cover 2 lays a big egg. Only one Cover 2 team has not choked in the playoffs, and that was the year Tampa won the SB. Look at Cover 2 every other year, they always choked in the playoffs. This year alone, the Bears, Colts, and Bucs all choked in the playoffs.

The Bears defense in the playoffs this year gave up more yards than the Giants to the Panthers....and the Giants played that game with 4th string LBs...we were a walking bruise. Yet the Bears gave up more yards. What does that tell you?
        It doesn't really tell you anything at all. The Bears had a bad game. The Bears also scored points on offense which forced the Panthers to continue passing the ball whereas the Giants laid big egg on the offensive side of the ball allowing the Panthers to more or less run the clock out in the 4th quarter.

As for the cover 2 choking in the playoffs, the 2002 Bucs team was not the only sucessful Bucs team. They almost made the Superbowl in 1999 as well. The cover 2 hasn't been around that long to judge it by those standards.

Nobody cares about your stupid fantasy team.

Comment

Originally posted by bearsfan_51
          Originally posted by bigbluedefense
          But when you get into the playoffs, where teams study tape more thoroughly and divise gameplans etc, Cover 2 lays a big egg. Only one Cover 2 team has not choked in the playoffs, and that was the year Tampa won the SB. Look at Cover 2 every other year, they always choked in the playoffs. This year alone, the Bears, Colts, and Bucs all choked in the playoffs.

The Bears defense in the playoffs this year gave up more yards than the Giants to the Panthers....and the Giants played that game with 4th string LBs...we were a walking bruise. Yet the Bears gave up more yards. What does that tell you?
          It doesn't really tell you anything at all. The Bears had a bad game. The Bears also scored points on offense which forced the Panthers to continue passing the ball whereas the Giants laid big egg on the offensive side of the ball allowing the Panthers to more or less run the clock out in the 4th quarter.

As for the cover 2 choking in the playoffs, the 2002 Bucs team was not the only sucessful Bucs team. They almost made the Superbowl in 1999 as well. The cover 2 hasn't been around that long to judge it by those standards.
          Thats not necessarily true. The Panthers came out scoring early and often. If you compare 1st half to 1st half, the Panthers put up way more yards against the bears, and the Bears didn't make it interesting until like halfway through the 2nd quarter.

I have nothing against the Bear's defensive players, I actually like the Bears, I enjoy rooting for the old school teams. I have a problem with the system. Even diehard bears fans will tell you theyre not really thrilled with the Cover 2. I know the days of the 46 Bear are gone, but a conventional 4-3 would be better imo. Even Urlacher himself said he doesn't particularly like Cover 2. I think he even said he hated it, but I'm not sure, so I won't say he did.

I think my main problem with Cover 2 is its vulnerability to power runners. Im a fan of old school football, and I cannot consider a defense the best if it has any type of vulnerability against the run. The best defense is a defense that can line it up and take on any running back any time any where. This game hasn't changed much. Its still all about running the ball and stopping the run. And if a defense is vulnerable to a certain run style, I simply cannot call it the best.

I know youre probably sick of hearing this, but take the Pitt game for example. When Chicago and Pitt both flexed their muscles, Pitt destroyed the Bears. That straight up muscle style will destroy Cover 2. Whereas a Pittsburgh for example, can line it up and muscle up against the Bears one week, then the next week spread it out and take on the Colts. They might not have the best statistical defense, but to me thats a better defense. Thats what I'm trying to say. Cover 2 has limitations. It cannot play man defense effectively, it cannot take on Big wide receivers in the vertical game, it has problems with power runners, has problems with big strong offensive lines, and its a simple playbook that will not surprise/confuse anybody which further limits its effectiveness in the postseason when teams are able to look at a year's worth of tape and dissect a defense and attack its tendencies. Cover 2 doesn't really have a counter strategy for this.

Comment

Originally posted by Jensen
            1. Bears
            2. Panthers
            3. Redskins
            4. Ravens
            5. Cowboys
            I think the Panthers will have the # 1 Defense

Comment

packers

Comment

Originally posted by Undying Homerism
                packers
                Um, no.

by BoneKrusher
                <DG> how metal unseen
                <TheUnseen> Drunken Canadian Bastard: There's an APS for that

Comment

Originally posted by Pack_Attack_4
                  packers
                  its best not worst

Comment

ha you put the browns up there lol i love our team btu no way are we even close

Comment

Originally posted by Pack_Attack_4
                      packers
                      weird that some packer fan had to say his team was the best at something... how long till they all stop by to agree?

Comment

If the Panthers stay healthy, they should be the best.

Comment

I'm just suprised the Browns are on the list.

Actually if you give us another year or two (maybe 3) we may be legitly towards the top.

Comment

Ravens are overrated.

Comment

Originally posted by Patriots-Lions

They're Linebackers and Safeties aren't half as good as Chicago's.

Comment

Originally posted by Patriots-Lions
                                1. Panthers
                                2. Bucs
                                3. NFC South is awesome

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information