• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

4 Games for Losman!

Damn you Mularkey!!!

Comment

Originally posted by pav
      smith has these tiny little hands that can't grip the nfl ball. unless he grows some new hands he will never be successful. The premier QB's have these big old hands ala Eli and Peyton and Brady.
      ...and Daunte Culpepper.

Comment

Originally posted by yourfavestoner
        Originally posted by Patriots-Lions
        You better believe they would start Dilfer. When you are 0-6 with 0 TD and 10 INT you're going to get benched. In the NFL it's all about winning now.
        I dunno. It's not like anybody has huge expectations of the team anyways. They're gonna be bad. You know it. I know it. Fetuses in the womb already know it.
        In the NFL, you play to win. You don't play for best draft position. If it is apparant that Trent Dilfer gives this team a better chance to win, he'll start.

Comment

No i say play Alex Smith, will the 49ers make the playoffs if he is in all season?

NO

will they make the playoffs is Dilfer is in?

No, so start the young Smith and let him get more experience.

former #1 in post count on this site
          first to 500 posts

Comment

You better believe they would start Dilfer. When you are 0-6 with 0 TD and 10 INT you're going to get benched. In the NFL it's all about winning now.
            I dunno. It's not like anybody has huge expectations of the team anyways. They're gonna be bad. You know it. I know it. Fetuses in the womb already know it.
            In the NFL, you play to win. You don't play for best draft position. If it is apparant that Trent Dilfer gives this team a better chance to win, he'll start.
            I'm not saying they'd be playing for the best draft position. Nolan isn't under tremendous amounts of pressure to win now, so he has no need no need to hinder the development of his franchise quarterback for a few meaningless wins in an already lost season.

Comment

I guarantee you, if Smith doesn't show flashes of brilliance, his days will be numbered. That said, I fully expect Smith to show small glimpses of good QB play.

Comment

Absolutely not. It makes zero sense at all. I could understand the argument of putting in a veteran quarterback if they were competing for a playoff spot down the stretch, but they won't be. At this point, the 49ers aren't playing for this season. They're playing for the future.
                Somebody that actually makes sense.

Comment

Originally posted by pav
                  smith has these tiny little hands that can't grip the nfl ball. unless he grows some new hands he will never be successful. The premier QB's have these big old hands ala Eli and Peyton and Brady.
                  Yeah Daunte Culpepper and Mike Vick have small hands and so do you think they've have had unsuccesful careers also?

Comment

Originally posted by TCU
                    No i say play Alex Smith, will the 49ers make the playoffs if he is in all season?

NO

will they make the playoffs is Dilfer is in?

No, so start the young Smith and let him get more experience.
                    exactly!

Comment

i have a question about the small hands, i have a game used NFL ball and an official NCAA ball, the college ball is actually more "fat" than the NFL, the NFL ball seems more skinny and not as large so i always thought if you can grip an NCAA ball the pro ball is actually smaller, i might have a kicking ball so the size if off but does anyone have official measurements of both balls?

former #1 in post count on this site
                      first to 500 posts

Comment

Originally posted by pav
                        Or Brett Favre, who has bigger hands than any of the people you mentioned. You don't have to have big hands to succeed, it just helps.

Comment

Originally posted by pav
                          This is actually quite incorrect. Alex and the Niners both refuted this. I believe this was some rumor written by a sportswriter after Smith's fumble problems last year. The truth was that Smith fumbled a lot in road games where the home team doesn't rough up the ball for the opposing quarterback like they do for the home team. This made the ball slippery for away QBs and they complained to the league about it. The NFL went as far as changing the rules to allow the away team to supply their own football for this coming year.

http://www.sacbee.com/content/sports...15068937c.html

Smith's success or failure will be tied to the OLine. They couldn't give him time to look at anything more than 1 read last year. If they give him time, he won't be going 1 TD/11INT this year.
                          The Brian Sabean sig is no more. I disagreed with you on so many levels. And then you went out and built a dynasty. I am lame.

Comment

Everybody was calling Eli a bust after his rookie year and he was a senior when drafted. Now Eli is well on his way to stardom. Smith started after entering the league as a junior. He'll probably take an extra year to develope and we won't know just how good or bad he is until his 3rd or 4th season. Smith has a real chance to be a superstar but he'll need time to reach his potential.
                            I really expect to see a vastly improved Smith this year. Not a star or even a solid NFL starter, but vastly improved nevertheless. However, if he got off to an absolute terrible start and it continue for about 6 games, he would no doubt be replaced and allowed to regain his composure. After another 4 games, he would be starting again until the end of the season. Whether or not Smith reaches his ceiling, nobody can tell. We probably won't see the real Smith until his 3rd or 4th season, but to judge him after his rookie year is for fools.
                            And proud of it!!!

Comment

I think that when a team uses the #1 (or any 1st or 2nd rd) pick on a QB, they absolutely must give him at least 3 consecutive years of starting experience before they give up and start over. The job of an NFL QB is simply much too complex to expect a kid to come in and even be solid. Especially on a garbage team. I think the 49ers will surprise some people this year though. I think their lack of talent is exaggerated. They're capable of beating some teams. I predict Mike Nolan will be talked about as a top coach within the next 5 years, because people will look back to 2005 and marvel at how he turned this team into a winner.

Comment

Originally posted by duckseason
                                I think that when a team uses the #1 pick on a QB, they absolutely must give him at least 3 consecutive years of starting experience before they give up and start over. The job of an NFL QB is simply much too complex to expect a kid to come in and even be solid. Especially on a garbage team. I think the 49ers will surprise some people this year though. I think their lack of talent is exaggerated. They're capable of beating some teams. I predict Mike Nolan will be talked about as a top coach within the next 5 years, because people will look back to 2005 and marvel at how he turned this team into a winner.
                                I agree that Smith must be given time to develope, especially someone as raw as Smith. However, it is a myth to suggest that you cannot pull a young QB when things are going very, very badly without ruining his confidence. You can just as easily destroy a player's confidence by leaving him in when everything is going badly. Sometimes you need to take him out so his confidence isn't completely ruined and give him time to regain his composure.
                                I also agree that San Fran could be one of the suprise teams in the NFL this season depending on just how much Smith improves on his rookie performance. However I'm not completely sold on Nolan just yet. He reminds me some of Butch Davis, the ex Cleveland HC
                                who couldn't get along with a lot of his players and dumped them without much compensation. I feel this should be a make or break season for Nolan. I expect at least 7 or 8 wins and a lot of improvement from Smith. Anything less and I'd have to wonder if Nolan is the guy. JMO.
                                And proud of it!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information