Redskins offer No. 6 overall pick for Briggs

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Jughead10 View Post
    Did his brother ever catch on with an NFL team?
    I wouldn't know.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shiver View Post
      I wouldn't know.
      The both played at Souther Miss together. I know Michael was a LB/S tweener. I think his brother basically was too.

Comment

• Originally posted by bigbluedefense View Post
        I think Nelson's ballhawk skills would compliment Arch a little better. But as far as rush D goes, you want Landry back there. Plus, Landry can play both Safety positions in case Arch busts/gets injured.

Hmmm....

I don't know, 6 is awfully high for a safety. I love safeties but 6?

Who knows, this could even be a bluff by the Redskins. By throwing this rumored trade out, maybe theyre trying to see if anyone else will hastily offer them something more for the 6th pick. They could be using Chicago.
        It seems like I'm the only guy left these days who doesn't have a complete hard on for safeties. I've never seen the infatuation with them, especially as top ten draft choices. I still look at them as guys who are too small to play linebacker and don't have the hips or athleticism to play corner. It's the least important position on defense. To me, anyways.

Comment

• Originally posted by SuperMcgee View Post
          Safeties went 7-8 last year, and I like Landry better than either of them. I also love safeties, and I think it'd be a good and very possible pick.
          Landry can't hold a candle to Whitner and Huff. I think Landry might be a bust, and the fact that he was slow in the shuttle with a bad showing of hip flexibility (relative to a top 10 pick anyway) is a sign. Whitner and Huff were awesome prospects - great against the pass and the run and very physical to boot, and both can probably start at CB and be probowlers there.

Comment

• I'd like to say that I broke this story on the Bears Team Discussion late last night, a thank ya! :D

Anywho, now that I can actually read without any dillusional images in my head (I've gotten 2 hours of sleep the past two nights) I'll comment on this.

I thought I was seeing something when they reported this last night on Sports Nite here in Chicago. And I was quite shocked that they said Daniel Snyder had confirmed the offer.

If this trade goes through I think I'd crap my pants. Everyone on here, including myself on paper would've said "hell no" to giving up the #16 pick in the draft for Lance Briggs. If we can pull this off, I'd be extremely happy. And now on to who we'd be targeting: (in no particular order)

1) Brady Quinn - I really think Rexy is in JA's dog house. And I wouldn't be at all surprised to see him nab the best QB in this draft. Brady is a Carson Palmer type QB prospect IMO.

2) Laron Landry - The best safety prospect in this draft without a doubt IMO. Incredible skill set, great range, hard hitter, and a playmaker. I could see JA taking this guy if he feels Mike Brown's days are numbered.

3) Levi Brown - While some may call him a reach here, he's certainly a very good OT prospect. A monster of a man who is very good in pass protection and from what I've seen, can run block well as well. Certainly a need area for us this draft with two aging vets in Tait and Miller.

4) Patrick Willis - I don't see this happening but it could. Would be a reach here but IMO he's the best LB prospect in the draft. Great range and would fit in well in the Cover 2 scheme. Impact type LB at the next level.

5) Trade up for CJ. 51 mentioned this already but if we did this, I'd personally send JA a box of chocolates. CJ is one of the best WR prospects to come out in a loooonnggg time and he'd instantly make our offense better. I'm salivating right now even thinking about him in Chicago.

Another sig courtesy of BoneKrusher

Originally posted by JBCX
            Despite looking better against an underachieving Eagles team, I still think the Bears are one of the worst teams in the NFL. I smell a blowout victory by the Lions this week and a division sweep.

Comment

• Sweetness if Quinn is gone, could you see the Bears taking Okoye? I can see them doing that for some reason.

Comment

• WOW. I thought it was just briggs for the 6th pick, then I saw the 31st pick too. Still a bad trade for the Skins. It really doesn't matter though, because the Bears lost the super-bowl, so they are gonna suck anyway.

Comment

• Originally posted by TNewFan41 View Post
                  WOW. I thought it was just briggs for the 6th pick, then I saw the 31st pick too. Still a bad trade for the Skins. It really doesn't matter though, because the Bears lost the super-bowl, so they are gonna suck anyway.
                  Says the man with 5 negative rep squares. :D

I'd prefer Branch over Okoye personally. I know Amobi has a ton of upside, but he's got a really low floor, and JA likes guys with high floors. I don't think we got DL there though if we make the trade. I think it'll be WR, S, QB, OLB, or OT.

Or we could trade down and pick up a 2nd or 3rd rounder in the draft. Lots of options there.

Another sig courtesy of BoneKrusher

Originally posted by JBCX
                  Despite looking better against an underachieving Eagles team, I still think the Bears are one of the worst teams in the NFL. I smell a blowout victory by the Lions this week and a division sweep.

Comment

• A front four of Ogunleye-Harris-Branch-Brown/Anderson would be nasty.
                    Pugnacity, testosterone, truculence, and belligerence.

Comment

• Originally posted by yourfavestoner View Post
                      It seems like I'm the only guy left these days who doesn't have a complete hard on for safeties. I've never seen the infatuation with them, especially as top ten draft choices. I still look at them as guys who are too small to play linebacker and don't have the hips or athleticism to play corner. It's the least important position on defense. To me, anyways.
                      I think in today's league of parity, and the more pass happy nature of the league in general, its very important to have a presence at the safety position on defense.

At the end of the day, if you can stop the run and defend the deepball, you can essentially have a good defense in today's NFL. The safety defends the deepball. You can make a strong case for safeties being more important to defenses nowadays than CBs.

Ive said this in the Giants thread before, I want you to consider this:

New England
                      Pittsburgh
                      Indianapolis
                      Baltimore
                      Tampa Bay

The past 7 NFL champions. What do they all have in common? They all had a presence at the safety position. The same can't be said of the CB position however.

The game has changed, and so has the responsibilities of the safety. Now more than ever, its imperative to have a quality presence at the safety position to be a championship caliber team. You need that guy who can be a run stopping presence at the 3rd level, a guy who can cover the TE up the seam, and defend the deep zone.

Having said that, I think a top 6 pick on a safety is still a little too high. Unless he's the next Ronnie Lott, I don't think its worth it.
                      Last edited by bigbluedefense; 03-27-2007, 01:47 PM. Reason: grammar errors and additional commentary

Comment

• Originally posted by Geo View Post
                        A front four of Ogunleye-Harris-Branch-Brown/Anderson would be nasty.
                        Calvin Johnson learning from Moose's physical style of play would be nasty.

Comment

• Originally posted by SFbear View Post
                          Calvin Johnson learning from Moose's physical style of play would be nasty.
                          CJ just in a bears uniform would be nasty

Comment

• Calvin Johnson doesn't need to learn a style of play from a possession receiver who could never touch his skill set in his prime. Moose can teach Johnson nuances of blocking and route running, but CJ is advanced and ready to produce right now. It's all about technique now. His style of play is completely different from Moose's.

I am "America's Poster"... http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/for...9&postcount=25

Comment

• Originally posted by sweetness34 View Post
                              Says the man with 5 negative rep squares. :D
                              I don't care about that stupid rep bars, are you serious? Oh and when the Bears have a losing record, you heard it hear first.

Comment

• I don't want to go threw all the pages is this trade just talk or really going down?

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information