No announcement yet.

Redskins offer No. 6 overall pick for Briggs

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• John Clayton reports the Bears say no to the trade. You need ESPN insider to read it.

Comment

• Damn. We're not going to get better than that. This is the first time I've disagreed with Jerry in a very long while.

I hope this means we'll resign him to a longterm deal. To miss out on a top 10 pick simply to make a point would be a bad idea IMO, although I did previously support the idea of making an example of Briggs.

Nobody cares about your stupid fantasy team.

Comment

• Im shocked Angelo said no. The fact that he probably can't afford to resign Briggs long term to begin with should be reason enough to make this trade. Wow, JA messed up.

Comment

• To be fair to Angelo: with Briggs on the roster and playing in what is essentially a contract year, the Bears have as good a window of opportunity at championship contention as any team in the league this year, if not better. I do think there are better AFC teams, but the Bears have the benefit of playing in the NFC. Losing Thomas Jones is an obstacle the Bears can overcome imo, but both Jones and Briggs in the same off-season and it's definitely a challenge.

Although, if memory serves correct, the team drafted LB Jamar Williams in the 4th round of the 06 Draft (yes?). I recall toonster being receptive of the thought/possibility of Williams getting a fair shot at succeeding Briggs. How's he looking?
          Pugnacity, testosterone, truculence, and belligerence.

Comment

• Originally posted by SFbear View Post
            John Clayton reports the Bears say no to the trade. You need ESPN insider to read it.
            Confirmed. He's saying the Bears are feeling bullied. I can see how Rosenhaus and Snyder can do that do ya. Also said that the Bears don't want to draft as high as 6.

If the Bears feel bullied by the Redskins, they should be lucky they aren't in the NFC East where everybody else bullies the Redskins! LOL!

Comment

• Dammit. I want this trade to happen. Anytime the Redskins try to screw something up, its good times. Come on skins, throw in Sean Taylor to sweeten the deal. Do it.....DO IT....

Comment

• Originally posted by bearsfan_51 View Post
                Damn. We're not going to get better than that. This is the first time I've disagreed with Jerry in a very long while.

I hope this means we'll resign him to a longterm deal. To miss out on a top 10 pick simply to make a point would be a bad idea IMO, although I did previously support the idea of making an example of Briggs.
                I think Angelo gave up on resigning Briggs long term at the beginning of the season after he withdrew the intial offer. We used some of that money to resign Kreutz and I think he's planning on saving up space to resign Tommie. Im not really sure what to think of the situation.

If anybody who has ESPN Insider could give a quick summary that would be appreciated.

Comment

• Originally posted by D-Unit View Post
                  Confirmed. He's saying the Bears are feeling bullied. I can see how Rosenhaus and Snyder can do that do ya. Also said that the Bears don't want to draft as high as 6.

If the Bears feel bullied by the Redskins, they should be lucky they aren't in the NFC East where everybody else bullies the Redskins! LOL!
                  *high five*

Comment

• They could probably still trade Briggs somewhere, it's just that it didn't make sense for Chicago to move into the top 6. The top players avaiable at 6 would be Landry, Anderson, Okoye, and if they hit the jackpot Adams. They don't need any of those guys. Now if it was a top 4 pick...

Comment

• thats just stupid of the bears...

its a damn fine deal. 1 year of having Briggs is better then drafting Calvin Johnson, Brady Quinn, Laron Landry, or Okoye?

Comment

• See I understand that he might want to save money for the future by just letting Briggs go and not paying a top 10 pick and that he prolly feels we have no glaring needs for a top 10 pick...yet just having that pick can benefit the bears in so many ways that I don't understand why they wouldn't want it...I mean they could draft someone who could impact immediately(no idea who) or they could trade for like a mid 1st and a 2nd/3rd to add depth and still not spend alot of money...just having a top 10 pick is such a hot commodity in the NFL that when presented with the option to trade the 2nd to last 1st round pick and a player who doesn't wanna play for you and will just be a problem prolly all year and will leave next year anyway so we will get nothing for him, for such a valuable thing as a top 10 pick that a team should jump at that chance

Comment

• (1) The 6th overall pick isn't cheap. Far from it, in fact.

(2) If your team could win the Super Bowl or get the 6th overall pick, what would you choose?

Plus who's to say that if Brady Quinn (or another prospect the Bears want) is on the board when it is time for Washington's pick, that the Bears don't decide then to pull the trigger?
                          Pugnacity, testosterone, truculence, and belligerence.

Comment

• Originally posted by Geo View Post
                            (1) The 6th overall pick isn't cheap. Far from it, in fact.

(2) If your team could win the Super Bowl or get the 6th overall pick, what would you choose?

Plus who's to say that if Brady Quinn (or another prospect the Bears want) is on the board when it is time for Washington's pick, that the Bears don't decide then to pull the trigger?
                            It is possible that the reason the Bears were upset about how public this became is because they would want it to remain a draft day deal in case someone fell. If everybody knows the Bears might be trading up to grab someone they like, they might try to preempt.

Comment

• That's Bull Crap that the Bears aren't in need of a top 10 pick. The reasoning by some of you guys are ridiculous! The value is heavily on the Bears side to take the deal. Even if they don't want the 6th pick, trade it away for a lower pick, grab the player you really want and get more. If the Cowboys offer Bradie James and their 22nd pick, I would love for the Redskins to take it. Bottom line is the 6th pick is a coveted selection with value the Bears could turn around into something else. If they reject this deal, they'll get a worse deal or end up losing him for nothing.

Comment

• Originally posted by D-Unit View Post
                                That's Bull Crap that the Bears aren't in need of a top 10 pick. The reasoning by some of you guys are ridiculous! The value is heavily on the Bears side to take the deal. Even if they don't want the 6th pick, trade it away for a lower pick, grab the player you really want and get more. If the Cowboys offer Bradie James and their 22nd pick, I would love for the Redskins to take it. Bottom line is the 6th pick is a coveted selection with value the Bears could turn around into something else. If they reject this deal, they'll get a worse deal or end up losing him for nothing.
                                While I agree with what you're saying, to compare Briggs to a jobber like Bradie James (even taking the value of the picks into account) is laughable.

I'm about 100% sure we won't lose him for nothing, but I doubt we'll get this kind of an offer again.

Nobody cares about your stupid fantasy team.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information