X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Ace View Post
    Bears | Team rejects Redskins' trade offer for Briggs
    Tue, 3 Apr 2007 10:45:27 -0700

Jay Glazer, of FOXSports.com, reports as of right now, the proposed deal sending Chicago Bears LB Lance Briggs and the No. 31 overall pick in the NFL Draft to the Washington Redskins for the No. 6 overall pick is off the table after Bears general manager Jerry Angelo rejected the deal. According to sources, Angelo phoned the Redskins Tuesday, April 3, with his decision. The deal, however, may not be lost for good. The Bears would like to include LB Rocky McIntosh in the deal. The Redskins, however, do not want to part with McIntosh.
    exactly what John Clayton said.
    Peyton Manning Fanboy
    Originally posted by Complex
    They said I couldn't be a high school QB. They said I couldn't get a D1 scholarship. BeerBaron said I couldn't beat the Bears. - Tebow

Proving the doubters wrong.

Comment

• Originally posted by Number 10 View Post
      If they take a WR, I would laugh harder than I did when the Lions took Williams. That team needs a force on their D-line in the worst way and they will be in prime position to do so.
      The argument against DL, and not saying I agree with it, just what the argument would be:

a) Kedric Golston is someone they have huge hopes for. I remember some on this board were quite high on him last year (D-Unit in particular). They think he can be the interior push they need, although they wouldn't mind more help.

b) Briggs frees up Marcus Washington to blitz more, pushing him and Carter together.

That said, my concerns would be:

c) How much does Daniels/Wynn have left? They are depending them to be base ends that rotate inside. That's why I think Carriker (and if they deal down, McDonald) could be great fits, as they fit their base end need. For all the talk about a lack of pressure, they do need someone to step up as a base end to better utilize Carter.

d) Is Golston the real deal? I'm still not sold, although the internal statistics, supposedly, gave Golston high, high marks.

e) What about depth? Montgomery is someone I liked last year, but Montgomery/Boschetti/Salavea (if he stays) doesn't inspire confidence, and as noted, how much does Wynn/Daniels have left inside. Outside, it's Wynn/Daniels/Carter and um ... Demetric Evans?

Ideal situation, IMO, is to slide down a few slots, try and pick up a 3rd, draft Carriker, and target a WR with the 3rd round if they are intent on doing that (if they could pick up a 3rd, I'd consider WR/OL/CB).

That said, the 6th spot is considered by some to be a dead man's land right now. For all the love heaped on Landry, I'm still not sure anyone wants to deal up to 6 for Landry. I'm still not sure anyone is really looking to deal that far up for Peterson (I mean, I'm sure teams would deal up, but Buffalo/GB dealing up to 6? Not sold on that). If Adams falls, though, that would be something that might draw some buzz. The one consideration would be, say, a team like St. Louis, where they don't have many glaring needs, and could get aggressive targeting who they wanted if someone fell. But the overall value required and the talent likely there makes it a hard call to decipher what trade opportunities are out there, and is in part why the Redskins looked into the Lance Briggs thing, and in part why Chicago is a bit hesitant, IMO.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shiver View Post
        I personally do not like the decision from Angelo, one bit. I think the kind of value, Washington had on the table, is just too good to pass up on.
        It's a lot more than just getting the #6 pick. I'll bet that JA wanted to trade down from the #6 and there wasn't much interest. Because he stated numerous times that he was worried about the contract situation for the #6 pick.

JA isn't a dummy, he knows what he's doing. And in the end he'll make sure that what he does with Briggs is best for the team.

Another sig courtesy of BoneKrusher

Originally posted by JBCX
        Despite looking better against an underachieving Eagles team, I still think the Bears are one of the worst teams in the NFL. I smell a blowout victory by the Lions this week and a division sweep.

Comment

• Originally posted by 21ST View Post
          We do need d-line, but if there is a way to get calvin johnson we need to get him
          You already have a formiddable WR core that is relatively young. However if CJ is a possibility I would understand the move up, but selecting Ginn at 6 would be a bad idea.
          Originally posted by Paul
          Eli's opportunity to become a legend.
          Originally posted by Vikes99ej
          These last 50 seconds will define Eli Manning.
          MISSION ACCOMPLISHED

Comment

• Originally posted by TheChampIsHere View Post
            I dont know what the Bears are thinking, I cant imagine them getting a better deal than this for Briggs. I realize the fact that there probably is no player they would like to target at 6, but it is a good value and they can move up or down from 6. Sure, they might not want to put themselves through that. But at the same time, do they really want to deal with this sticky situation with Briggs and a holdout? Once he starts holding out, it will be a lot harder to get a good deal for him.
            He posted it in the locked Briggs dicussion so I moved it in here:

JA is thinking way ahead of you here. It's more than just getting the #6 pick. He wants to trade down IMO and his other thing was paying the #6 pick.

And from what I've been hearing and what toony has said, there's not a lot of real interest in moving up to #6. I trust Angelo to make the best decision and if he feels like it wasn't worth it, then so be it.

Maybe this way too he puts the ball in Washington's court again. And maybe they decide to give up another thing for Briggs. JA is playing hardball here so we'll see how it turns out.

Another sig courtesy of BoneKrusher

Originally posted by JBCX
            Despite looking better against an underachieving Eagles team, I still think the Bears are one of the worst teams in the NFL. I smell a blowout victory by the Lions this week and a division sweep.

Comment

You already have a formiddable WR core that is relatively young. However if CJ is a possibility I would understand the move up, but selecting Ginn at 6 would be a bad idea.
              we have 1 good WR in moss and a decent one in randel el, there is alot of room for improvement
              RIP Sean Michael Taylor

Comment

we have 1 good WR in moss and a decent one in randel el, there is alot of room for improvement
                The reason I don't think it's worth it is because, next year, this is going to be a running team with the young QB and the Portis/Betts tagteam (provided that they don't deal one). And while CJ is a rare talent, top wideouts can be found from year to year if the scouting is good (and that, in of itself, has been the Redskins biggest issue). WHile the Redskins really didn't have much in terms of big needs, there are a lot of depth concerns across the board which need to be addressed the next two years. Dealing up would reduce assets.

Comment

• How would the Redskins even trade up? Next year's 1st? If so, then what about the glaring issues on the D-Line?

Comment

• The Skins will do anything they can to make the splash they think they need to make. While they have only 1 winning season recently, you can't say they don't try to get better every offseason.

I am "America's Poster"... http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/for...9&postcount=25

Comment

• Originally posted by Shiver View Post
                      How would the Redskins even trade up? Next year's 1st? If so, then what about the glaring issues on the D-Line?
                      I'm really not sure who they can deal away. Because, assuming they keep the 6th pick (and thus, no Briggs), their assets on the squad that have good value (youngsters like McIntosh, Golston) can't be dealt. There really aren't any assets I see ... unless they decide to part with Sean Taylor ... which I don't anticipate, although it's not improbable. And they certainly don't have the immediate assets.

Comment

• I'm just proud of the Skins for telling the Bears that if it wasn't the trade they proposed no deal then, shows they have atleast a slight bit of backbone.

Sig By:The Dynasty

2 7 Round Mocks: April 20
                        http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/...50#post2577350
                        Full NBA Mock Draft: Updated May 18
                        http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/...=1#post2602966

Comment

And don't have any good D-linemen.
                          MISSION ACCOMPLISHED

Comment

And don't have any good D-linemen.
                            Cornelius Griffin is an animal and one of the best when healthy and if Andre Carter played the way he did the 2nd half of last season he will be a pro bowler, again Golston has much to prove but he showed serious promise, the biggest worry spot for me is LDE where Phillip Daniels is solid but older and Wynn and Evans are unspectacular.

Sig By:The Dynasty

2 7 Round Mocks: April 20
                            http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/...50#post2577350
                            Full NBA Mock Draft: Updated May 18
                            http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/...=1#post2602966

Comment

• Originally posted by Ghettosermon View Post
                              Cornelius Griffin is an animal and one of the best when healthy and if Andre Carter played the way he did the 2nd half of last season he will be a pro bowler, again Golston has much to prove but he showed serious promise, the biggest worry spot for me is LDE where Phillip Daniels is solid but older and Wynn and Evans are unspectacular.
                              Not because I am a Giants fan, but simply for the sake of the discussion...the Redskins need a lineman on the defensive side to build around in the worst way.
                              MISSION ACCOMPLISHED

Comment

Not because I am a Giants fan, but simply for the sake of the discussion...the Redskins need a lineman on the defensive side to build around in the worst way.

I am a Redskins fan and I agree with you completely. I like the way Carter ended the year, I like Golston a lot. However we have not had a full season out of Griffin, if we do fine but I aint holding out much hope. Daniels can play the run but that is it. We need an end badly and I prefer Anderson over Adams.

That said I am still really intrigued with Amobi Okoye if we can trade down and get him I will not be unhappy at all.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information