Worst Franchise in the NFL

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ewing View Post
    I told myself I wasn't going to go on a long winded rant about this; but **** it you've made me do it. Here it goes...

For months leading up the draft it was obivious that the Texans should pick either Reggie Bush or Vince Young. Young is basically seen as the second coming of Jesus in the city of Houston which would have boosted ticket sales and judging by the way he played for the Titans a few more wins. They could have easily traded Carr to a team that needed a QB. Reggie would have been the spark to the offense that the team needed. They could have ran a duel back system with him and Davis similar to Deuce and Reggie. Carr finally would have had another target besides Andre Johnson.

Yet, they decide to draft neither of these guys and their is excuse is that Carr and Davis are their franchise offensive players. Apparently in Houston franchise means one season as they were both cut on Friday. You explain to me, logically, how in one year a quarterback goes from "the franchise" to being cut. They went back on everything they said last April with their trade for Schaub and their cuts of Davis and Carr.

The other excuse they used was that they wouldn't be able to stop anybody with Reggie and Vince. Fair arguement but guess what. They still can't stop anybody. Mario Williams may have great potential but he didn't do squat his rookie year while Vince Young won Rookie Of The Year and damn near lead his team to playoffs while the Texans finished with the eighth overall selection and Bush was a key part to the Saints rise to the elite in the NFC.

I'll sum up why they screwed up with one simple video...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKURxvgBU5g

Explain to me how you had a succesful draft when everybody in the stadium is cheering the rival's quarterback as he scores the game winning TD.
    Its a marathon, not a sprint. For all the raving of Vince Young, he's still an unproven passer. Reggie Bush would NOT succeed greatly in Houston. They run ZBS. Reggie Bush for all his accolades has been a below average RB in the NFL so far.

Mario Williams has the potential, and before he got injured was realizing it, to be a dominant DE in the league. They got an absolute stud MIKE in DeMeco Ryans. They built up their oline. They got a good TE in the draft. They got rid of the deadweight known as Carr and got a solid qb for cheap. They have a plan, thats building a dominant defense to combat Peyton Manning. And I think it will work. You can't kill Mario Williams after an injury filled rookie year. Couple the fact that even then, he outperformed Reggie Bush for most of the season, I don't see your line of reasoning. Don't jump to conclusions so quickly. I think the Texans so far are making all the right moves. Come back to me in 3 years, and see if you still feel the same way. I guarantee you the Texans will prove they made the right moves 3 years from now.

Comment

Originally posted by GiantRutgersFan View Post
      Cardinals, Browns, and Texans.

Texans are new, but they have been terrible in everything they have done since their inception....
      Browns have been here since 1999, not much longer than the Texans, add in the Butch Davis factor... :(

Comment

Worst franchises.

1. The Lions. You look at their talent and wonder why they don't have a better record. Matt Millen stays despite the worst winning % of any team.

2. The Raidahs. They and their fans continue to believe it's still 1985. They have reaked of suckage, except for the Gannon era, for 20 years now. They always have to scrap the bottom of the barrel for coaches. Their scouting department is one of the smallest. They keep drafting busts and taking chances on renegate players (like Jake Moss) without getting results.

3. The Texans. 5 years without a winning (even a .500 one) season. They are going down the path of the Saints.

4. Browns. This team has nothing to do with the earlier Browns. Those Browns are now in Baltimore. One winning season since their expansion year in 1999. Draft bust after draft bust.

Comment

The Vikings are headed there. Drew Henson?

Comment

what i meant was just the worst franchise in the NFL, pre or post salary cap. I still think the Cards, because to have never hosted a playoff game in your existance, and were talking 40+ years now. They are not on the rise, they dont make the right signings, they went full into O last offseason, and they greatly need to improve the D this year, and so fa havetn done anything.

They are pathetic. The Browns are getting there, but you cant say the Raiders, they've been to the top before and know what its like to be good. The Cards on the other hand play in the weakest didvision in the NFL and can still only win 5 games a year.

The guyn above makes sense as to what he says about the TExans...good point, they had a sick draft, but still the main point is that they took Williams over Young....but honestly i look at ti like, Carr has shown that he can provide for a team, an they need to build their D, they gotta start up front, MArio, then build the LB with Demeco. Sounds ok to me, but we'll see.

Still no doubt that the Cardinals win this won. They are pathetic and all the hype this year wil lead to 5 more wins, s hear comes another 5 win season. For all you sying how their O is sick...look at what i said about NE who's O was still sick, but didnt have WR, so what thyey do via FA??? thats the mark of one hell of a franchise.

Comment

Any team that went to the Super Bowl is automatically out of this conversation, so even though Cinci has had some real bad stretches, I don't think they qualify.

Also I think you have to give expansion teams a long time, maybe 20 years, before you can say they've rightfully taken their place among the worst franchises. Sure the Texans and new Browns suck, but they just don't have the same body of work.

The Lions, Cards, and Saints are the only franchises that should be in contention.

Comment

I think it's the Lions because they have all of this talent and thye don't know how to use it.

Thanks to jackalope

Comment

If it wasn't for Sean Payton this year, the New Orlean Saints would be running away with this topic. Everyone has short term memory, outside of this year, the Saints only won 1 playoff game in their entire franchise history.

Think about that.

Comment

Originally posted by LionSmack View Post
                    Any team that went to the Super Bowl is automatically out of this conversation, so even though Cinci has had some real bad stretches, I don't think they qualify.

Also I think you have to give expansion teams a long time, maybe 20 years, before you can say they've rightfully taken their place among the worst franchises. Sure the Texans and new Browns suck, but they just don't have the same body of work.

The Lions, Cards, and Saints are the only franchises that should be in contention.
                    Cincinnati had some good teams in the 70's, 80's almost won one Super Bowl. It was from 1991 to 2003 that they were the laughing stock of the league. They just need to get rid of the problems on their teams and not add new ones.

Comment

well the Saints may have won only one playoff game but i think the mere fact that Arizona has never HOSTED a playoff game in 40+ years still tops anything else.

Comment

Lions without question. Cards are close and of course the saints and bengals are right behind them.

Comment

I would have to say the Lions.

http://minnesotasportstwentyfourseven.blogspot.com/

Comment

I love the Saints. They hold a special place in my heart. The year LT was drafted, we had the 2nd pick in the draft.

Every GM in the league other than NO's GM said theyd take LT with the first pick. Instead, NO takes a RB who lasts 6 years in the league who doesn't rush for more than 1200 yards during his tenior, and we get LT. And the rest is history.

Thank you NO. I'll never forget that gift you gave us.

Comment

Originally posted by Ewing View Post
                              I told myself I wasn't going to go on a long winded rant about this; but **** it you've made me do it. Here it goes...

For months leading up the draft it was obivious that the Texans should pick either Reggie Bush or Vince Young. Young is basically seen as the second coming of Jesus in the city of Houston which would have boosted ticket sales and judging by the way he played for the Titans a few more wins. They could have easily traded Carr to a team that needed a QB. Reggie would have been the spark to the offense that the team needed. They could have ran a duel back system with him and Davis similar to Deuce and Reggie. Carr finally would have had another target besides Andre Johnson.

Yet, they decide to draft neither of these guys and their is excuse is that Carr and Davis are their franchise offensive players. Apparently in Houston franchise means one season as they were both cut on Friday. You explain to me, logically, how in one year a quarterback goes from "the franchise" to being cut. They went back on everything they said last April with their trade for Schaub and their cuts of Davis and Carr.

The other excuse they used was that they wouldn't be able to stop anybody with Reggie and Vince. Fair arguement but guess what. They still can't stop anybody. Mario Williams may have great potential but he didn't do squat his rookie year while Vince Young won Rookie Of The Year and damn near lead his team to playoffs while the Texans finished with the eighth overall selection and Bush was a key part to the Saints rise to the elite in the NFC.

I'll sum up why they screwed up with one simple video...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKURxvgBU5g

Explain to me how you had a succesful draft when everybody in the stadium is cheering the rival's quarterback as he scores the game winning TD.

Well, again you are wrong. You can't say that Houston made a terrible draft. They didnt take Bush and Young because they had Carr and Davis. They couldn't give up on Carr then, espcially with the horrible offensive line play. Davis was a good back, he rushed for 3195 yards and 23 touchdowns in three season behind a suspect offensive line. Last year, the Texan's biggest problems were on the other side of the ball, which is why they drafted Mariom who had 47 total tackles (35 solo) and 4.5 sacks, which are both respectable numbers for a rookie. We will compare that to Bush's and Young's numbers.

Bush- 565 yards rushing on 155 attempts (3.6 average), 88 recpetions 742 yards (8.4 average) 2 fumbles, and an interception (just wanted to throw that in there).

^he had a good rookie year as a reciever, but rookie backs like Maurice Jones Drew, Joe Addai, and Laurence Maroney made him look lke a slug. Without the offensive mastermind Sean Payton coaching him, he probably would have not gotten half of his touches as a reciever. Besides, Houston is a zone blocking team, and bush doesnt hit the hole quick enough for that. Kubiak isnt clever enough to come up with creative ways to get the ball in in his hands, Bush probably woulda busted in Houston.

Vince young- 51.5 completion percentage, 6.16 yards per attempt, 12 touchdowns, 13 interceptions, 66.7 quarterback rating.

I must have missed the memo about how quarterbacks are now judged on how many games their teams win instead of how they throw the ball. If you can make this arguement, i could say that Phillip Rivers is the best quarterback in the NFL. Jason Campbell, Drew Bledsoe, Matt Leinart, Seneca Wallace, Kurt Warner, Rex Grossman, Jon Kitna, and Jay Cutler ( I dont fell like finding more, you get the point) all had a a better QB ratin than vince, but he was rookie of the year. If the Vince young bandwagon was correct, than rex grossman is a better quarterback than Carson Palmer. And im sorry, but that is just not the case,

The bottom line is, none of these three players were outstanging their rookie season. Later picks at the same postions produced more ( Leinart,k Jones-Drew,), but it is one year into their careers, you cannot say one is better than the other yet.

and sean payton and drew b was the saints reason for their rise, not bush. They forced the ball into bushes hands

Originally posted by mythbusta
                              i love my pedestal. thats why im the mythbusta.
                              who dey?

Comment

Originally posted by njx9
                                new england - 20
                                new york (a) - 12
                                Haha, nice.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information