6. Pittsburgh
    5 Super Bowls, 5 total
    503-492-21, .505
    28-19, .596

7. Indianapolis
    3 NFL Championships, 2 Super Bowls, 5 total
    402-381-7, .513
    17-16. .515
    7th? Wow, that's a lot higher than I'd've thought.

The problem arises when people use statistics like a drunk uses a lamp post: for support instead of illumination.

If luck is where preparation meets opportunity, then clutch is where failure meets luck.

<Add1ct> setting myself on fire can't be that hard
    <Add1ct> but tackling a mosquito might prove a challenge

Comment

Alright, finished the list.

(this is me BSing to cover up a double post)

Comment

Originally posted by Dam8610 View Post
        7th? Wow, that's a lot higher than I'd've thought.
        Get used to 9th. :p

Comment

Originally posted by ny10804 View Post
          Get used to 9th. :p
          Hey, without looking, I wouldn't have even put the Colts in the top 10. I'll take 9th.

The problem arises when people use statistics like a drunk uses a lamp post: for support instead of illumination.

If luck is where preparation meets opportunity, then clutch is where failure meets luck.

<Add1ct> setting myself on fire can't be that hard
          <Add1ct> but tackling a mosquito might prove a challenge

Comment

Originally posted by neko4 View Post
            Why dont we do this by voting?
            Because the majority of the people that post here don't know anything about the history of the NFL. What would that prove other than how ignorant most people are about the NFL prior to 20 years ago?

Nobody cares about your stupid fantasy team.

Comment

The real question here is how do we count the NFL championships pre-merger? Should they count the same as SBs or just a bit less because there weren't as many teams in the league and pro-football hadn't yet evolved into the top flight sport it is today (college football was still the king in the early days of the NFL).

IMO, the top five are GB, SF, Dallas, Chicago, and Pittsburgh, maybe in that order, but I could definitely be persuaded to shift it around (although I think GB has to be #1). I think the two teams just on the outside and looking in would be the Giants and Browns. The case for the Giants has already been made, so I won't make it again, but people don't realize how dominant Cleveland was in the 40's-50's. They crushed the competition in the AAFC before joining the NFL along with the Colts and 49ers, then proceeded to crush the NFL competition over the next few years, proving that they hadn't been succeeding merely because the competition wasn't up to snuff.

Personally, I think we need to kind of leave Mara's influence out of the equation. There's no doubt he was a great guy and a fantastic league architect, but it just makes the situation a lot easier to dissect if we stick with on the field performance. Otherwise, Raiders fans will be here screaming about how the merger might never have happened without Al Davis, and Niner and Packer fans will be arguing over who impacted the game more-- Lombardi or Walsh. At least if we stick to on the field stuff, there's some kind of an objective standard.

Comment

Originally posted by bearsfan_51 View Post
                Because the majority of the people that post here don't know anything about the history of the NFL. What would that prove other than how ignorant most people are about the NFL prior to 20 years ago?
                Twenty? Don't you think that's being a bit generous?

Comment

I don't want to be an homer, or to argue if the Cowboys are or not the best franchise in the history of the NFL. But that's an intersting reading about why they're known as America's Team:

"After the '78 season, the Cowboys had just lost a crushing Super Bowl to the Steelers. I wanted to come up with a different twist on their team highlight film. I noticed then, and had noticed earlier, that wherever the Cowboys played, you saw people in the stands with Cowboys jerseys and hats and pennants. Plus, they were always the national game on television. If you think back, there has always been one team in each sport that has support from fans nationwide: the Yankees in baseball, Notre Dame in college football, the Boston Celtics in pro basketball. They are all America's teams. So I put that name on the Cowboys' film, and in 1979 the TV announcer for their first game introduced the Cowboys as 'America's Team.'
                  They took a lot of heat for it, but it stuck. Later other clubs like the Atlanta Braves and the U.S. Olympic hockey team have tried to call themselves 'America's Team.' But that name belongs to the Cowboys."

Bob Ryan, Vice President and editor-in-chief, NFL Films

In Bob We Trust

John Madden's wedding video business

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ddPHJWkPvU

Comment

This topic has really turned into a good discussion. Lots of good posts from people. Its good to see more people have a better appreciation of the history of the game. You can't go forward without understanding how you got there.

Its even important to study the evolution of the Xs and Os of the game. Its really cool if you go back and study it, thats one of my favorite things to do when watching football.

Someone mentioned Cleveland's dominance, and I couldn't agree more. During the Paul Brown years, Cleveland was unstoppable. So many people forget how storied of a franchise Cleveland is. While theyve been unsuccessful as a whole during the SB era, theyre dominance before that should not be ignored.

Comment

• If you were asking who the best franchise is in the present day NFL I would say the NE Patriots are, but in the best I'd probably say the 49ers are or the Cowboys are based on all their Super Bowl wins and playoff appreanaces.

Thanks to jackalope

Comment

• OMG this is no debate. Did anyone of you even read my post before you ATTACK ME!?!!?!

The Cowboys are tied for most super-bowls, have the most conference championships, division titles, playoff wins, playoff appearances and winning seasons.

How can you argue that? I'll answer that for you, you can't.

It is the Cowboys hands down.

Comment

• Well since the Colts did just win the SB, you gotta start with them. I think plenty of people would agree outside of Colts fans. But other than this year, I would agree that probably the Pats are up there along with the Colts. Both have outstanding front offices that produce SB winning teams through the draft.
                          INDIANAPOLIS COLTS - A CHANGE IS COMING!

Comment

• Originally posted by TNewFan41 View Post
                            OMG this is no debate. Did anyone of you even read my post before you ATTACK ME!?!!?!

The Cowboys are tied for most super-bowls, have the most conference championships, division titles, playoff wins, playoff appearances and winning seasons.

How can you argue that? I'll answer that for you, you can't.

It is the Cowboys hands down.
                            please leave, im starting to feel as if i cant defend dallas anymore in a thread because i know you will come in at some point, and ruin all my credibility as a cowboy poster *sigh*

havent you learned there are things called opinions? when you give yours, its not always the facts and thats the only way, nor are other people's opinions a reason to start an uproar

the NFL has been around a LONG time, there are franchises who have won just as much as dallas, its not so much to the point where its "why is this even a question"

Originally posted by Scott Wright
                            I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.

Comment

• I encourage Cowboys fans with pride to neg rep TNew.

Comment

• Ward, I propose a "Super Duper Homer" or "Negative Rep King" label for TNew. If you could get that for him in the next 5 minutes before he is banned, that would be super...

I am "America's Poster"... http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/for...9&postcount=25

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information