No announcement yet.

Sirius Radio Speculates Turner to the Bills

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Buffalo does have 2 3rd round picks. Turner for a 2nd and 3rd sounds more likely. The Bills get Turner for a 2nd (43) and with two 3rd round picks can fulfill AJ Smith's demand of multiple picks by giving one of the 3rds. The Bills can get their LB in the 1st, they get the RB w/the 2nd and still have a 3rd (74 or 92). The Bolts get 2 more additional picks in the 1st day of the draft giving them 7 total picks for day 1 alone 30, (43), 62, (74 or 92), 93, 96 and 126. Win-win for both teams??

Here's an article from today's local newspaper on Turner. Seems that things are beginning to heat up as the draft draws closer...

http://www.signonsandiego.com/uniont...1chargers.html

By Kevin Acee
    UNION-TRIBUNE STAFF WRITER
    March 31, 2007

The Chargers are dealing with four suitors for backup running back Michael Turner, sources said, and Turner's agent has spoken with at least one of those teams in hopes of getting a long-term deal done.

Buffalo, Dallas, Tennessee and the New York Jets have shown interest in acquiring the restricted free agent. All appear willing to part at least with a first-round draft pick, but sources indicated the Chargers are still seeking two picks – in the first and third rounds.

The New York Giants, who need a running back, also could enter the fray before next month's draft. A source said yesterday that contrary to numerous media reports, the Green Bay Packers have not shown interest in Turner.
    Turner and his agent, Bus Cook, will have much say in where Turner ends up. No team is going to give up draft picks for Turner, 25, without first securing a long-term deal with him.

“I know in our mind what it's going to take to get him signed,” Cook said yesterday.

The agent denied contact with any teams, but multiple sources said he had spoken with at least one of the interested clubs. That is believed to be the Bills, who pick 12th in the first round and have two third-round picks.

The tender the Chargers placed on Turner earlier this month requires any team that signs him to a free-agent deal to give the Chargers a first-and a third-round pick. The Chargers would also have the right to match any offer Turner received, but with league MVP LaDainian Tomlinson as their starting tailback, they would instead take the draft picks.

As General Manager A.J. Smith knew it would be, the first-and-third tender has been too steep for potential suitors. While Smith is content to keep Turner (at a cost of $2.35 million for the 2007 season) as a fill-in and insurance, he is willing to trade Turner for the right price.

According to sources, the Chargers could be open to a first-rounder this year and a third-rounder next year, or a third this year and a first next year. Any team signing Turner as a free agent would have to give up the first and third in this year's draft, which would nearly wipe out the first day of its draft.

Smith declined to comment other than to say the price “is a one and a three right now. I'm flexible to all thoughts.”

Turner has not been attending the Chargers' voluntary workouts the past two weeks for fear of injuring himself before a trade can be worked out.

The Chargers would lose Turner for virtually nothing after the '07 season. On the other side, Turner and Cook also must decide whether they want to risk injury while playing out this season.

Rivers progress

Philip Rivers is limping but doing it in a tennis shoe, and he expects to be full-go at the team's minicamp the first weekend of May.
    “I'm doing everything but run,” he said of his participation in the team's voluntary workouts. “I could run, but there's no reason to push it.”

Rivers, who sprained his right foot in the regular-season finale and reinjured it in the team's playoff game, was in a cast for more than a month and then a protective boot until March 16.

“I was a little nervous because you never know,” Rivers said. “But I 100 percent will be ready by May 4.”

Comment

^I like that trade but I kind of want and feel we deserve a first rounder. I read that column in the newspaper and I like the possibility of us getting a first-rounder this year and a third-rounder next year, or a third this year and a first next year a little better. Whatever hapens, I have a sneaky suspicion that Turner will stay with us.

Thanks to Bantx for the cool sig.
      RIP SEAN TAYLOR #21

Comment

Turner does deserve a chance at a starting job. It would save us a first day pick, so we could possibly go LB,CB,WR, and G all on first day and still have Turner and Thomas. But I really wouldn't enjoy missing out on Willis, Puz, and Beason.

Comment

Why would the Jets be interested in Turner when they just traded for Thomas Jones and re-signed him and have a 2nd year back with huge potential in Leon Washington?

Magical sig by OSUGiants

SSAEL....... its a new revolution!

Originally posted by Job
          On another note, Nicklas Backstrom is amazingly good.
          Meanwhile, in hockey the other night, the Washington Capitals' Eric Belanger gets hit with a stick, loses EIGHT teeth, has an instant root canal in the locker room, comes back out and PLAYS and never says boo.

So new rule, NBA: Unless you have a root canal at halftime, SHUT UP AND PLAY!

Comment

Originally posted by BigDawg819 View Post
            Why would the Jets be interested in Turner when they just traded for Thomas Jones and re-signed him and have a 2nd year back with huge potential in Leon Washington?
            Leon Washington is not an every down RB. Thomas Jones is decent tho, and I don't see why they would want to give up two picks for Turner. I can't see why ANYONE would want to give up two picks for Turner, especially with the amount of talent floating around at RB in this league.

Sig by fenikz! Cheers!
            Originally posted by Scott Wright
            Mr. Dukes comes from the Michael Irvin "talk loud and maybe people will think I know what I am talking about" school of football analysis.

Comment

Originally posted by Komp View Post
              Leon Washington is not an every down RB. Thomas Jones is decent tho, and I don't see why they would want to give up two picks for Turner. I can't see why ANYONE would want to give up two picks for Turner, especially with the amount of talent floating around at RB in this league.
              Turner has all of the spark, and none of the mileage. This is a win/win situation for the Chargers no matter what happens.

Comment

hmmm

Turner = Schaub, looks good but a totally unproven commodity up to this point. I agree tho, it's a win-win situation if they can unload Turner for even just a 1st rd pick.

Sig by fenikz! Cheers!
                Mr. Dukes comes from the Michael Irvin "talk loud and maybe people will think I know what I am talking about" school of football analysis.

Comment

Turner = Schaub, looks good but a totally unproven commodity up to this point. I agree tho, it's a win-win situation if they can unload Turner for even just a 1st rd pick.
                  I'm sorry but that is just not a good comparison. Turner has seen significant playing time the past two years and has shown extremely consistent production. Schaub has seen very very little of the field and is far more unproven.

Comment

Moving up or securing draft picks would be nice, but man, I'm really going to miss watching Turner play if he leaves. He's just such a good football player. Think of him as a rookie coming into the draft. A 5'10'', 235 pound running back with 4.42 speed, and the mentality of a bull with the football in his hands. How does a guy like that fall to the fifth round of the draft? Probably because he played for Northern Illinois.
                    aka KGB Chicken

Comment

sigh....

Originally posted by myinnerself View Post
                      I'm sorry but that is just not a good comparison. Turner has seen significant playing time the past two years and has shown extremely consistent production. Schaub has seen very very little of the field and is far more unproven.
                      Has Turner proven he can carry the load over the course of a season? The answer to that question is no, therefore he is unproven. Quit being a homer and start being subjective. I think he MIGHT be fantastic. the key word is MIGHT, and thats why I think the asking price is way too steep.

Sig by fenikz! Cheers!

Comment

Why not? Tiki? Reggie? Warrick?

Comment

NO!!!!!!!!!! If the Bills do this I will be so pissed!!!

Comment

I would be so freaking excited if we got Turner. He is a stud RB and actually runs hard. He also has great speed. He is one of my favorite RB's in the NFL. I see him as a young Earl Campbell.

Comment

Has Turner proven he can carry the load over the course of a season? The answer to that question is no, therefore he is unproven. Quit being a homer and start being subjective. I think he MIGHT be fantastic. the key word is MIGHT, and thats why I think the asking price is way too steep.
                              I think you mean objective, but most running backs have not proven they can carry the load, in fact no one has before they actually do. Just the fact that college seasons are about 4-5 games shorter, and many college RBs split carries (Caddliac/Ronnie Brown) and still are top five draft picks. I'm sick of hearing Turner gets his yards in garbage time, thats just not true. He was alternated in with LT for a good part of the season. When it comes to Turner though, it's not so much what he hasn't proven, but what he has proven. He has proven that he is able to bull people over, outrun people, and find the open holes in the NFL. He has proven that he can step up in the clutch and ice the game (2005 @ Indy) or score in a playoff atmosphere (2007 vs. NE). He has proven a lot more than any of the RB's that would be available after Peterson.

Comment

He has proven FAR more than Schaub in his NFL career, and he has proven way way way more than any college RB because he has performed extremely well at this level. In college he was an everydown back like them, who carried the load. If you really wanna talk about proving they can carry the load, let's talk about Adrian Peterson, who was made out of glass in college. You are wrong, I'm sorry, but Michael Turner is more proven than Matt Schaub as an NFL player, and is obviously 100% more proven than any college RB. Not only that, but he has proven that he has great work ethic, and that he is a team guy. He has never once complained about carries even though I guarantee he is just dying to see what he can do as an every down back. I'm not being a homer, I'm being OBJECTIVE (I think you will have to go to dictionary.com and see what the meaning of that word is).

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information