No announcement yet.

CFL vs NFL

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Many say that and that could be right. I have heard of both situations from people down there. You could be right. Im pretty sure that they have to be Canadian born, considering that chart that you put stating every teams Canadian players on it was only players coming out of Canadian Universities, and that % is no where near 50% each team. So it has to be Canadian born.

Comment

• Originally posted by Billingsley26 View Post
      Many say that and that could be right. I have heard of both situations from people down there. You could be right. Im pretty sure that they have to be Canadian born, considering that chart that you put stating every teams Canadian players on it was only players coming out of Canadian Universities, and that % is no where near 50% each team. So it has to be Canadian born.
      No, it can actually be either. That chart was just guys that played at Canadian colleges. Some of them were actually born in the States. In fact, one I noticed was born in Liberia! But I also counted the number of players that were born in Canada. Some played in Canada, others in the States, but it was a lower number on each team. But I think if you actually went and looked at each guy, plus the guys that had no place of birth or college listed, it would probably equal out to half the roster.

Originally posted by Jakey
      WWWWWWWWWTTTTTTTTTTTTFFFFFFFFFFF!!!

i am literally gonna kick a baby to death!

Comment

• Im surprised this is still a debate.

ALL COMPLIMENTS TO: BANTX FOR THE SIG

XBOX360 Gamertag: GZA88

Comment

• its funny that this thread even started. lets do a little comparison I like to call apples and oranges. USD109M vs CAN4.05M (which converts to 3.51M USD).

so tell me, how do you get the same caliber players for roughly 1/30 the money to spend? Heck the arena league has almost to spend as the CFL, and less players.

How much does each team have to spend against the NFL Salary Cap?
          Answer: In 2005, it was set at $85.5 Million. Last year it was originally set to be approximately $94.5 Million. However, an extension to the CBA brought with it a new formula, which saw an expansion to approximately $102 Million. The cap in 2007 is set to be $109 Million.

Enforcement of the new regulations is set begin starting with the 2007 CFL season, when the cap is set to rise to $4.05 million due to increased revenues.

Comment

• Originally posted by njx9
            so you're saying there's 30% of the CFL that's kept out of the NFL because the NFL doesn't like people who've been to canada? or maybe because they don't like talent? ooo, or maybe because they can't identify talent? that's idiotic (which should be carefully differentiated from "you're an idiot" which i didn't say). you've found one player and you keep re-using him as if he's representative of some bias against CFL players. i'm sure that's why doug flutie never made it. i'm sure it had nothing to do with his height. he played in canada!

find 30% of the CFL that IS better than the NFL. hell, find 5% that should make an active roster over anyone who's already on that roster. you know what, i'm feeling generous, find 10 people who should make an NFL roster from the CFL and i'd be willing to bet at least 9.5 of them have physical or mental limitations that kept them out of the league.
            You misunderstand my point. I think that in general in the NFL the best players are playing about 70% of the time. I didn't mean to imply that the other 30% consisted of Canadians. I don't even care about the CFL. I'm merely pointing to what I think is an ignorant assumption that the NFL is always playing the best possible players. My point is that a lot of politics go into making a roster and starting on it. A lot of players get overlooked or shunned, Canadian, American, Mexican, whatever for various reasons. Bias kind of varies by position also so it comes as no surprise to me that Flutie got a chance but Lumsden didn't. I can name many examples of players who I feel were not given a legit shot and they're all Americans. I am not making any claims about the superiority of the CFL. As has already been beat to death on this forum: 1) they play different styles 2) The NFL lures great athletes because their cap is astronomically bigger 3) The US talent pool is much larger. The overall athleticism is greater, fact.
            Last edited by jared; 04-10-2007, 12:05 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Billingsley26 View Post
              Lets hear a name in here! Just saying there was a puny one on Montreal doesnt mean anything.
              It was Philip Gauthier, DB from Laval, he was playing LB because didn't had the "athletism" coach matthews wanted from his DB. He was cut or traded last year.

I also think Étienne Boulay is listed as a LB, but he's more like the nickel guy.

Comment

• Ya njx9 seems to be very one minded here. He by no means meant that all situations are like that. I agree with him. Flutie on the other hand played at BC and had a solid career there. I believe he was also drafted by the Bears (possibly Patriots) then was let go. Lumsden on the other hand went to McMaster and killed the entire CIS, was a first round pick in the CFL, yet was almost given no shot in the NFL. I have no doubt that he could carry himself in the NFL. He has the size, speed and everything you need. He just wasnt given the fair shot. Thats how it is.

Comment

i'm not one minded, i've spat out every single worthless argument you've presented, and now you've fallen down to "well this one player could've made it in the NFL and wasn't given a shot so there must be a lot of CFL players who could make it in the NFL and weren't given a shot although i have no proof of this which further means they could really compete with NFL players on the field because they could hold brandon jacobs to 1 yard per carry because they're as big as NFL linebackers, i mean they're smaller and quicker, i mean they're the same size but able to cover more of the field because they're bigger, faster and smarter." that's a pretty accurate summation of every worthless argument you've presented in this thread, then subsequently backtracked out of. do yourself a favor and stop arguing. nothing you've said has been even vaguely worth listening to, and you've actually consistently weakened your own position.

When I say you are one minded this is more to my reasoning. Just because I mention one name in Brandon Jacobs you just asume him. Im talking all big backs in the NFL, ALL. You think that because I say Jesse Lumsden didnt make it means they all wont. Well if you look at where many of the CFL players come from, check the post above written about how many were from the CIS, you will see that many had played with all of your NFL stars in D1 schools. Whats the difference then? If they all came from the same schools in the Big 10, SEC, Big 12, ACC whatver, they are all from those schools. This difference is that the game is totally different as is the coaching style. Different style of game leads to different type of players.

Comment

i never said they're "playing" them, i said they "have" them, which is a major distinction. for instance, the NBA will always have the most talented basketball players. there might be a few guys in foreign leagues who are better, but by and large, they end up in the NBA. same thing in baseball.

you're beginning to have a seperate, unrelated argument. i'm sure you're right, there are players who could be starting but aren't for whatever reason. my original point was that 99.999999% of the time, the most talented players will be in the NFL, thus for Billingsley to imply that CFL players are just as atheltic/talented/good at football is ridiculous and clearly untrue.
                    I dont recall saying they were ever more talented than the NFL players. More talented at Canadian Football maybe, but never more than an NFL player at the NFL game. I vividly remember saying that athletically they are at a par, the CFL has their guys who run 4.3's and bench 40 times. An athlete is an athlete (not talking skill here).

Comment

and then you suggested that they tackle better than NFL players. then you suggested they read plays better and faster. then you suggested they cover more ground better than nfl players. seriously, stop talking.
                      If you look at what I said you will see that they are built they way they are in order to do these certain things better.

Comment

Working...
                      X

Debug Information