best defensive line in the nfl

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DMWSackMachine
    No offense there dude, but you can't just list sacks as the sole barometer for how good a DE is. Especially over a career. Strahan was a late bloomer, and had to be shifted over to the strong side before he truly started to excel. Also, Rice isn't even average when it comes to playing the run, and he doesn't have the repertoire that Strahan has. Either way, I think you could possibly make a case that Rice is a better pass rusher than Mike is, but definitely not a better total package.

With that said, I actually do agree with you about the Bucs DLine. They are very good, and since Sapp left they have kind of flown under the radar a bit. However, they still don't come in the top 3. But they are among the best.
    No offence taken, IDK how Strahan does against the run, so I can't comment on that...but I agree with your entire post
    Gamertag: OnABoat16 (Games: NCAA 10, NHL 10, Tiger Woods 10)

Proud fan of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers
    Somewhat proud fan of the Toronto Blue Jays
    Yes, a fan of the Toronto Maple Leafs as well
    A fan of the USF Bulls

Comment

It makes me mad to say this but the Hags have to be up there with Stroud and Henderson clogging up the middle of the d-line
      Sig by PitBull

All-hail Bulluck

Comment

Originally posted by Jughead10
        Originally posted by Dam8610
        Originally posted by Jughead10
        Freeney is more of a product of the scheme and coaching staff than anything else.
        You really think someone with his speed, explosiveness, and moves wouldn't succeed elsewhere?
        I do think that. There is more to being a great defensive lineman than all that. The man can't play the run at all. Sure he will get the occasional big play behind the line, but he is all pass rush. He is up to field so quick that he takes himself out of plays all the time. Two years ago I was so worried about the same thing with Osi. I honestly didn't think Osi was going to be a great player because he used to take himself out of running plays all the time. He adapted. Freeney has shown he hasn't. He GREATLY benefits from playing with Manning and having a lead all the time. And he benefits even more by playing indoors on that turf. He is in a perfect situation to shine right now, but on most other teams he wouldn't have that novelty. And I really think he will see this if he ever hits the open market. Teams won't be making him the highest defensive player in the game. He should just ride a good thing out and resign with the Colts now, so more people don't realize how one dimensional he is.
        At least I know I'm dealing with a hopeless case now. What part of "the scheme and the staff call for him to play that way" do you not understand? A big part of the Tampa 2 is to generate pressure, and a player who is playing pass first, especially one with the talent of Dwight Freeney, is going to accomplish that goal much better than a player who has a run responsibility before he tries to get to the QB. Considering that the Tampa 2 almost NEVER uses a blitz, getting that pressure with the DL is essential, so the scheme leaves it to the LBs and secondary to clean up any runs that get by. That's why the safeties in Tampa 2 schemes are generally very fast, and tend to be hard hitters. Also, the Colts coaching staff preaches to the DL to get to the QB first, and worry about the run if and/or when it happens. So, if a DE is playing in a scheme that requires him to get to the QB as fast as he can, and his coaches are telling him to play the pass invariably, doesn't it stand to reason that he's very likely to overrun a lot of running plays, and look like a bad run defender because of it?

The problem arises when people use statistics like a drunk uses a lamp post: for support instead of illumination.

If luck is where preparation meets opportunity, then clutch is where failure meets luck.

<Add1ct> setting myself on fire can't be that hard
        <Add1ct> but tackling a mosquito might prove a challenge

Comment

I dono, the Vikes Interior line is pretty hard to beat, Henderson/Stroud is the only DT combo better than that, but overall I'd say its the Panthers, if everyone is healthy.
          i said good day.

sig by rainbeaukid

Comment

Originally posted by effthiskid11
            I dono, the Vikes Interior line is pretty hard to beat, Henderson/Stroud is the only DT combo better than that, but overall I'd say its the Panthers, if everyone is healthy.
            I agree, Peppers is a absolute beast, Ma'ake Memouta is a very good run stuffer, if Kris Jenkins is healthy he will be a very good DT.

Comment

Originally posted by Ravens1991
              Originally posted by effthiskid11
              I agree, Peppers is a absolute beast, Ma'ake Memouta is a very good run stuffer, if Kris Jenkins is healthy he will be a very good DT.
              They both are excellent run stuffers, and the thing I like a lot about them is they should free up Peppers
              i said good day.

sig by rainbeaukid

Comment

Can't believe none of ya'll mentioned the Phins DL.

Jason Taylor
                Vonnie Holliday
                Keith Traylor
                Dan Wilkinson
                Kevin Carter
                David Bowens
                Matt Roth
                Jeff Zgonina

Don't no bout the rest of you, but that's a pretty good DL group right there. Who cares if only two of them are below 30, they still play well when it's gametime.

Comment

Originally posted by pav
                  Originally posted by DMWSackMachine
                  Apparently "don't mess with Pav" is more of a plea for mercy than statement of caution.

What a juvenile point of view.
                  A personal shot. Cute. It's a line from a song. Oh and regarding the ridiculous idea that julius jones is a better and more productive running back than tiki barber shows your ignorance. Look at the stats, genious boy.
                  There's a story behind his Julius Jones quote. You should really think of spending some time reading observing the board before you come online and start posting useless dribble.

Comment

I am a DL that has 3 Pro Bowlers in it's starting lineup, and had a player finish 2nd in DPOY voting last year. My team finished 2nd in scoring defense, due in large part to me. I have not been mentioned on this thread yet. Who am I?
                    Nice try, Colts DL is not top 5, not even close

Comment

• Originally posted by pav
                      Originally posted by The Legend
                      Bears
                      Ravens
                      Eagles
                      Falcons
                      Buccs
                      Colts
                      Seahawks
                      Jags

TEAMS OVER VIKINGS
                      That's just plain ridiculous Jags and Bears might be close, other than but other than that, you are dillusional. And i'm considered the insane one on here. You must have a grudge agianst the Vikings. I don't even know who the Seahawks or Buccs have playing on there lines other than simeon rice. Call me arrogant, but if i've never heard of them, they are irrelevant. Falcons, John Abraham and Kerney are great, but who is stuffing the run? Yeah falcons have a horrible run defense, but somehow you manage to rate their line over that of the vikings. Jags, two great runstuffers who get into the backfield, but their ends aren't exactly household names. The Giants have a better line than The buccs, Hawks, Eagles, and Falcons, but you somehow forgot to mention them. And don't say that i'm a Giants homer, because if i'm not mistaken the 3 DE in the Probowl from the NFC were Peppers, Osi and Strahan. The Ravens have Suggs and an unproven Haloti on the team and you are putting them ahead of Pat and Kevin Williams, Udeze, and James. I tried to find the most well rounded NFL defensive Line in the league and this is what i got. Let's be reasonable people. If i am starting a team and i had to pick a Defensive Unit to play for me, It is Udeze and James, pure young passrushers, Pat Williams a veteran NT who not only stuffs the run, but gets into the backfeild, and Kevin Williams, another young DT who routinely disrupts plays in the backfeild and made it to the probowl at a very young age. Give me a break people. I agree, i should have put the bears in, don't give me buccs or ravens or jags or colts or anybody else.

The Seahawks DL is better than the Vikings. We led the league in sacks last year. That doesn't make us the best but we are still o ne hell of a line. Rocky Bernard is a quick DL who penetrates well. Marcus Tubbs when healthy is a beast. Winstrom may be getting older but has gas in tha tank. Bryce Fischer may be the weakest of them all, and he had a great season last year, he had one of the highest sack totals on our team. James and Udeze are unproven. Pat Williams is on the downfall. Kevin Williams is good, but i'd take Bernard over him

Comment

• Originally posted by danman253
                        I am a DL that has 3 Pro Bowlers in it's starting lineup, and had a player finish 2nd in DPOY voting last year. My team finished 2nd in scoring defense, due in large part to me. I have not been mentioned on this thread yet. Who am I?
                        You underrate every player and/or unit on the Colts.

The problem arises when people use statistics like a drunk uses a lamp post: for support instead of illumination.

If luck is where preparation meets opportunity, then clutch is where failure meets luck.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dam8610
                          Originally posted by danman253
                          and i'm sure that your opinion is completely unbiased :roll:

Comment

• Originally posted by njx9
                            Well, he calls pretty much everyone on the team overrated. I don't think a team that scored the 2nd most points and allowed the 2nd fewest in the NFL while playing at full strength in the regular season for only 13 of 16 games can be as bad as he wants to make them out to be. Does that make me a homer?

Comment

• I skipped over a few pages, any mention of the Atlanta Falcons? I'd swallow my pride and say they're easily top-5 in the league with Kerney and Abraham as the bookends, and the best UT in the league, Rod Coleman.

This is how I'd rank the top 5:

1. Carolina
                              2. Philadelphia
                              3. Atlanta
                              4. Chicago
                              5. Jacksonville

Comment

• Originally posted by Dam8610
                                Originally posted by njx9
                                Well, he calls pretty much everyone on the team overrated. I don't think a team that scored the 2nd most points and allowed the 2nd fewest in the NFL while playing at full strength in the regular season for only 13 of 16 games can be as bad as he wants to make them out to be. Does that make me a homer?
                                When did i call anyone overrated?

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information