Patriots Switching to ZBS

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Patriots Switching to ZBS

According to ProFootball Weekly, the Pats are going to change their run blocking scheme from a straight line blocking to a zone blocking to accomodate Maroney's cutback style.

i like this..ZBS is becoming more popular with more teams switching to it..will benefit our team greatly once they get it down

Word is the Patriots are considering changing to more of a zone-blocking scheme to take advantage of RB Laurence Maroney’s cutback ability. Last year’s blocking scheme was better-suited to Corey Dillon’s straight-line, off-tackle running style.
    Last edited by remix 6; 04-02-2007, 12:43 PM.

Probably a good idea. I think people overrate the ZBS because when they hear someone use it, they automatically think their team is gonna improve in the running game and may become like Denver. However, it is currently the best run-blocking system out there when used properly.

by BoneKrusher
    <DG> how metal unseen
    <TheUnseen> Drunken Canadian Bastard: There's an APS for that

Comment

they will probably use a mix of the zbs and normal blocking, versatility is what the patriots are about

Comment

Bye bye pass blocking.

Nobody cares about your stupid fantasy team.

Comment

i dont believe just because other teams are succesfull that we will..we have some athletic OL who can definatley do well in this and a good OL coach in Dante

we have 3-4 pretty good OL..2 which were borderline pro bowlers but when run blocking..it just wasnt working especially for Maroney because most of our players were power plays and Maroney kept trying to make a big play out of nothing instead of pushing for 2 yard gain.

ZBS will at least open something up for Maroney and he'll take advantage giving him an opportunity for more big plays

Comment

Yes, exactly when its used properly. If you dont have the right type of lineman to run it or if your line is not very smart its not going to work. This is non assignment run blocking. You step to the next open space to the way you are running and whatever player comes into your open space you pick him up and drive him whatever way he wants to go. Its actually a very difficult system to pick up at first and takes a little bit of time to gel unless their lineman have been doin it awhile. It does accomodate Maroney but does it accomodate their O-line.

Comment

Originally posted by bearsfan_51 View Post
              Bye bye pass blocking.
              I doubt they change the offensive lineman so I doubt it effect the pass blocking.

That is correct comahan
              I ******* LOVE YOU DG
              <3 dg

Comment

The Pat's will most likely ADD a couple of zone blocking plays to help maximize Maroney but I doubt they will abandon their regular power running style. Why completely change your running style to accommodated one running back, when your current line is very good at what they do? The answer is you don't, you just add on a couple of plays to help out your RB.

Comment

I am not sure this merits much discussion. The next time the Patriots tell anyone in the free world anything about how or what they plan to do will be the first time.

That said, the Pats lineman are the smaller, more agile types and the system would seem to play to their strengths. Maroney on the other hand , had his issues with dancing around and trying to create when holes closed down quickly. This is a system that requires one move and get up the field. It seems he would be the variable to the success of the move.

Comment

Originally posted by luckyjackaubrey View Post
                    I am not sure this merits much discussion. The next time the Patriots tell anyone in the free world anything about how or what they plan to do will be the first time.

That said, the Pats lineman are the smaller, more agile types and the system would seem to play to their strengths. Maroney on the other hand , had his issues with dancing around and trying to create when holes closed down quickly. This is a system that requires one move and get up the field. It seems he would be the variable to the success of the move.
                    How much of Maroney did you watch in college?

That is correct comahan
                    I ******* LOVE YOU DG
                    <3 dg

Comment

Originally posted by evershot View Post
                      The Pat's will most likely ADD a couple of zone blocking plays to help maximize Maroney but I doubt they will abandon their regular power running style. Why completely change your running style to accommodated one running back, when your current line is very good at what they do? The answer is you don't, you just add on a couple of plays to help out your RB.
                      our previous scheme was straight blocking..more for power guys. theres a reason Dillon is gone. last year our blocking wasnt in sync..it wasnt working for neither Maroney or Dillon..we started making a switch last training camp but never got it completely but started putting in zone plays

Comment

It will play to Maroney's strenths

"O-H-I-O...its a four letter word."
                        Mike Tirico

Magilla Gorilla ain'ta killa, ...

Roger Goodell's Beautify the NFL Campaign-No Violence-No Criminals-No Fun

"(Ole Miss QB) Bo Wallace is one of those types of quarterbacks who is always trying to save the city but he's actually burning it down." -- NFC director of scouting

Comment

Bill Bellichick can't be wrong. never ever.
                          My guess is 6 YPC for maroney.

No, Srsly, if some other team would do this i would suspect them to fail. But I think the Patriots know exactly what they're doing.

Comment

The Pats already use a form of zone blocking. That's why their O-Lineman are smaller than average, as was previously mentioned. This really isn't news.
                            2012 Patriots Anti-Draft

1 - Anyone but Shea McClellin, Derek Wolfe, Peter Konz, Kendall Reyes, Harrison Smith, Whitney Mercilus or a RB

2 Anyone but McClellin, Wolfe, Doug Martin or an OT

3 Anyone but Wolfe

Comment

you think they would target Joe Staley in the 1st round now?

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information